The great cauliflower challenge!

mckenzie

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 10:47 am
Ditto the cauliflower with cheese sauce.

Steamed cauliflower with browned buttered crumbs.

This is nothing to swoon over but it's tasty, Creole Cauliflower with Cheese

4 tablespoons (60 mls) butter (I know, I know)
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons flour (30 mls)
2 cups (500 mls) mashed cooked tomatoes
Salt and pepper
3 cups (750 mls) cooked cauliflower (broken into small pieces)
1/2 cup (125 mls) shredded cheese

Melt the butter, add onion and green pepper, browning slightly. Blend in flour and add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add cauliflower and heat thoroughly. Transfer to oven-proof dish and cover with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese has melted and mixture is hot and bubbly.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:31 pm
Thanks, mac. That looks good. I'll try it later, I think. I've decided to try this one for dinner tonight. I'll report back!:

msolga wrote:
This is a (sort of) cauliflower cheese, but a rather glorified one, from the link tin_sword_arthur provided. It looks rather good! Surprised :

Cauliflower Gratin with Gruyere and Hazelnuts:

1 medium head cauliflower (2 1/2 to 2 3/4 pounds)
Salt

1/2 cup crème fraiche (store bought or homemade - see recipe below)

3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese, divided

Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons dry, unflavored bread crumbs

3 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped*

2 tablespoons chopped chives or flat leaf parsley for garnish

* To toast hazelnuts, spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven until browned and fragrant, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and when cool enough to handle, place nuts in a kitchen towel and rub together to remove as much of the skins as possible.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart oven-to-table baking dish or gratin pan; set aside.

Cut off and discard base of cauliflower, then cut the head into small, individual florets.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Add cauliflower florets to pot and cook until tender (but not mushy) when pierced with a sharp knife, about 5 minutes. Drain florets and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.

Place cauliflower in prepared dish and toss with crème fraiche and half of the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining cheese over cauliflower, then top with bread crumbs and hazelnuts. Bake on center rack of oven until cheese has melted and bread crumbs and nuts are golden, 20 to 25 minutes or more. Garnish with chives or parsley.

Serves 5 to 6.

Creme Fraiche
Crème fraiche is available in many supermarkets. If you can't find it, the following recipe works well. It needs to be made at least 6 hours in advance.

1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sour cream

Whisk cream and sour cream together in a medium non-reactive bowl. Let stand at room temperature until thickened, 6 hours or longer. Cover and refrigerate. NOTE: Crème fraiche can be stored up to 1 week, covered, in refrigerator.

Makes about 1 1/3 cups.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:59 pm
The coloured cauliflower ae genetically modified.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:06 pm
OK, reporting back on last night's effort:

msolga wrote:
This is a (sort of) cauliflower cheese, but a rather glorified one, from the link tin_sword_arthur provided. It looks rather good! Surprised :

Cauliflower Gratin with Gruyere and Hazelnuts:

Well, it was reasonably tasty, but I would say I was wildly excited by it! Actually the best part was the toasted Hazelnuts! :wink:

I'll try something else from the suggestions before too long. Ya can't eat cauliflower every night, ya know!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:16 pm
.... but I'll tell you about the bit of the cauli that I enjoyed most, while preparing this dish last night: the stems! Once you remove the outer skin, the stems are absolutely delicious - raw. Crunchy & sweetish. I'd forgotten about how much I used to enjoy this as a child, growing up in an eastern European household. A real treat was to eat the tender part of the stems of cabbage. broccoli & cauliflower. Really! Try it & see! Now that I think of it, they'd make a good, crunchy addition to a salad. That's if I could stop myself from gobbling them up while preparing the vegetable! Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:24 pm
we often steam cauliflower and serve it with balsamic vinegar and ground pepper chunks ONLY!. Sometimes just letting things be what they are is good too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:31 pm
Yes, I agree, farmer. Sometimes it's good to just let the raw materials speak for themselves. That sounds good. I'll try it. But later! :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:33 pm
n-K
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:37 pm
Raw cauliflower, love it, with a yogurt or sour cream-based dip. Preferably yogurt-based.

A staple for get-togethers is a platter of raw veggies and dip. Cauliflower florets, broccoli florets, carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber, bell peppers, et cetera. I often make up a platter just for the family. They munch while supper's cooking.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:43 pm
Including the stems, mac? If not, try them!

That does sound good!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 08:54 pm
Part of the stems, for sure, for both cauliflower and broccoli, if I'm steaming it, Olga. Not so much for a raw veggie tray because it's in bite-sized pieces.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
I had extra long stems last night, after removing the outer leaves. They could be cut long ways. Anyway, just a thought .....
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:23 pm
Bill's usually around, helping, so, believe me, those left over bits find a good home ... crunch, crunch, crunch ...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:57 pm
And who is Bill?
Human or family pet? :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 09:58 pm
Cauliflower absorbs the flavors you add to it. I use it instead of meat in any Indian recipe. Try it with a curry or masala base. It also works if you take your favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipe and just substitute the cauliflower (lightly steamed first) for the macaroni. I saw an Atkins recipe that basically used it instead of ziti in a baked "ziti" recipe for low carb dinner.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 05:18 am
Thats true

They are perfect substitute to meat in any Indian recipe. My favorite Indian cuisine with Cualiflower would be

1. Aloo Gobi - Potatoes and Cauliflower mix curry (Dry or Watery)
2. Gobi Paratha - Cualiflower stuffed thin pancackes of Wheat flour, (A Perfect Breakfast)
3. Tandoor Gobi - Tandoor chicken - chicken + Cualiflower
4. Gobi Tadakaa - Oily curry of Cualiflower and spinach & Turmuric & speaicl spices.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 05:27 am
It's just a matter of retaining enough >>crunch<< in them during the cooking process, wouldn't you say? My worst cauliflower experiences were when every other ingredient in a dish was just right, but, alas, soggy cauli!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 06:20 am
material girl wrote:
I had just tasted cauliflower cheese for the first time, which I loved, then I soon after worked out that Im intolerant to dairy, so that was the first and last time I had cauliflower cheese.
I still think of it as very tasty.

Other than that I cant help yuo.It hurts just too much to think about it.

Good Morning MG.

just got as far as your post in this....

Have you considered using soy cheese?

You can bring a little soy milk up to heat (slowly) then add in soy cheese you have sliced thinly so it'll melt faster.

just a thought.
0 Replies