White must be the new red

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:46 pm
At least in MY laundry room.

Some how, my whites have a red tint.
I found nothing in my white load that would have bled??

So... I have not dried them because I know that makes the color set in.

How do I get that out?

I am also finding grease spots on my clothes when they come out of the washer..
Almost like... olive oil stains..
But they were NOT there when they went in.

Is there a way to 'wash out' your washing machine?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 916 • Replies: 4
No top replies

littlek part deux

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 07:55 pm
Do you use it alone? You could run an empty load, on extra-bigass-large with a lot of bleeach and then again without bleach.

I've never had mysterious coloring, but I have often had mysterious oil-staining. I think that second can be caused by a couple of things. Sometimes the city flushes the water lines with some chemical which has ruined my clothes at times. Someone else has suggested, in the past, that spilling liquid fabric softener on clothes when filling the washer could do this.

Sorry, not much help, I know. I'd run the empty washes.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:29 pm
Run the load of pink clothes with a dose of chlorine bleach at the rate reccomended on the bottle. Chlorine will often remove dye bleed. I have used this method previously in my drycleaning business.

Where did it come from? many possibilities.... new clothing trim? red tissue/napkin in a pocket? same from a previouse load that is "stuck" in the machine.

Oil stains will often show up after washing. It amazes me how many times this does happen especially on cotton/blends.

If they are on underneath clothing ie worn under another garment I would suspect a mechanical problem. Fill the machine with water and run a little stop the machine and allow to "settle" look at the water, are there signs of oil floating on the surface of the water.

Fabric conditioner can cause this if added direct to the load ie poured directly onto the clothing in the wash.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:35 pm
Re: White must be the new red
shewolfnm wrote:
I am also finding grease spots on my clothes when they come out of the washer..
Almost like... olive oil stains..
But they were NOT there when they went in.

I think it's something to do with the washing machine. We had similar stuff like that happen with our old machine. Perhaps when it's on spin dry small amounts of oil is be whirled around?

Anybody else experience this?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:22 pm
Buy a dye magnet and give it a try. In the laundry section of HEB.
0 Replies