Been there, done that, got the T-shirt" - why do YOU travel?

Misti26

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 08:29 pm
Cav, yah just gotta go back, the west of Ireland is beautiful! I know the north is too, but it's different. The east of course, has most of the interesting night life, like Dublin, the after hours clubs, the theatres, the Dublin mountains with their quaint pubs on the apex, the firelight lounges, the Kareoke lounges with beautiful Irish singers, they are so talented. And then Bray, Hoath, and Blackrock, amazing.

One time while I was home, my brother-in-law who is an actor, invited us to a party which is given when a movie is completed, all the actors, directors, producers are there. Anyway, this particular one was given for the movie The General, with Brendan Gleeson. The party was held at a castle in Blackrock, and it was absolutely gorgeous.

That was one of the highlights of that trip.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 08:34 pm
Mom should also mention that Gabriel Byrne is my secret crush.....I have a picture of him with my uncle ~ sitting in a pub and laughing it up.....I drool over this picture often.....

Hubba, hubba..... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 08:36 pm
Also, because of my Uncle Frank, Mom and I were given third row tickets to see 'Riverdance'.....gratis.....from the producer.

If you haven't seen the show live, I highly recommend it. Jaw-dropping to say the least.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 08:42 pm
Jeez.....the memories are coming back.....

Mom sent my sister and I to Ireland for an entire summer when we were 10 and 11, respectively, and we had a great time.

No one believes me to this day, but the sun was shining every single day. Kim and I were celebreties in Dublin ~ two young American girls, pretty much on their own.....with American dollars to spend.

The summer we were there (in 1978), there was a big deal about rapes in Phoenix Park ~ Kim and I took our younger cousins there (one still in a carriage), unaccompanied by adults.....came back safe and sound. Only after our return did my Grandma give us a lecture.

But, that didn't stop us.....We walked, took trollies all over the place and saw it on our own. It was an experience I'll never forget.

To this day, I've never had fish and chips that compare to Dublin's.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 10:22 am
I went to Ireland last year, they did have good fish n' chips. If I remember correctly, there was some Guinness around, too.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 10:53 am
Slappy, Most who travel to Ireland end up enjoying lot'sa Guinnes, but I'm not so sure about the fish n'chips. I don't ever remember fish n'chips on my trip to Ireland some years ago. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 10:33 am
After a week I never wanted to see fried fish or potatoes again.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 10:36 am
Ci, fish n' chips is pretty popular in Dublin. It's not overwhelming, but it's easy to find.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 10:39 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
It's not overwhelming, but it's easy to find.

I don't hope, you mean "by the smell of old oil", Slappy!
:wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 10:40 am
Went into a pub on my last night in Dublin, wanted a change of pace, ordered the "chef's special" without asking what it was, hoping it would have, I dunno, glands or intestines or something.

"Chef's special" was fish and chips.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 11:20 am
patiodog, I think you're a little confused; the fish n'chips is "The Intestines Stopper!" If not, your blood vessels will sure know after the first bite. Wink c.i.
0 Replies