Towing a truck with a truck

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:51 pm
Hi! I need to know how to legally tow a 2001 Dodge Ram Sport with a Ford F350 (class 3 hitch). Uhaul and all those good places say that its too heavy for their equipment. Will a tow bar be sufficient?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 932 • Replies: 1
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:55 pm
A proper heavy-duty towbar, properly affixed to both vehicles, should suffice for a moderate distance - a few miles at most, and at relatively modest speed - provided, of course the towing vehicle is adequate to the task - which an F350 certainly would be - and provided as well that the towed vehicle be properly configured. When towing a vehicle, attention should be paid to securing the towed vehicle's steering train, with additional consideration given to the matter of disconnecting the drive train (front and rear, if applicable) of the towed vehicle, particularly and absolutely should the towed vehicle be equipped with an automatic transmission.

For longer distance towing, and/or highway speed towing, properly loading and securing the vehicle to be transported onto a suitable dual-axle trailer of around 3-Ton or greater capacity, equipped with sway control and brakes, would be the preferred method. It should be noted that special requirements may be required by law when towing any motor vehicle on its own wheels, and the overall concern should be for safety, not only for the towing lashup, but of the traffic through which it will be travelling. An even better solution would be to load and secure the vehicle to be transported onto a purpose-built tilt-bed vehicle transport truck, or even to have it professionally transported as a load item on a commercial 2-deck vehicle transport rack trailer.

And forgive me for saying so, but, IMO, if you have to ask about it, there is substantial reason to doubt your readiness to undertake such a project. If any substantial distance is involved, I would think you best advised to contract a reputable, licensed vehicle transport service to handle the move.
0 Replies