To whose authority do you submit?

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:09 am
We all are subject to authority, whether by choice or by circumstance. So, while excluding the obvious restrictions imposed on us by the forces of nature, to whose or to what authority do you submit?

Theocratic?
Political?
Social?
Family?
Self discipline?
Something other?
How do you arrive at your decision?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,867 • Replies: 51
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:14 am
Oooh, very good question.
Probably self discipline,then family.

I come to my decision by trying to do the right thing so it will effect as many people(usually family and friends) in a positive way as possible, mainly for other people, but after a while I do stuff for myself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:16 am
I wish that i exercised more self-discipline . . . i also wish i had millions of dollars . . .

I believe in and act in accordance with the concept of a social contract. Therefore, i believe in the rule of law, with the caveat that i consider civil disobediance to be a valid means of expression of disagreement with particular aspects of the social contract.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:17 am
material girl wrote:
Oooh, very good question.
Probably self discipline,then family.

I come to my decision by trying to do the right thing so it will effect as many people(usually family and friends) in a positive way as possible, mainly for other people, but after a while I do stuff for myself.

VERY well put. I couldn't have said it better myself, nor will I even attempt to try. Ditto for me.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:18 am
Relative submission. Makes sense. . .
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:30 am
It makes sense to at least appear to submit to the authority of superior firepower - doing so occasions fewer distractions in the matter of working out an effective counter strategy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 10:37 am
Perfect - might makes right, or at least it makes for the most authoritative....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:20 am
You might wanna work a bit on reading comprehension skills, snood - your paraphrase blatantly misrepresents what I wrote.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:24 am
I'll work on my comprehension if you work on your humility.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
Play nice.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:48 am
Okay - I'll try to read more gooder.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 07:50 pm
I submit to some degree to all of them, even theocratic, for the reasons Setanta outlined.

My family and freinds wouldn't like it if I heckled at weddings, and refused to sit when asked.....(although I'm often tempted, especially at funerals.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 07:57 pm
In my heart, I submit to no authority at all. I follow the restrictions placed upon me by life and changing circumstance, physically, but none can make me submissive otherwise.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:27 pm
Re: To whose authority do you submit?
Virtually none. In general; I follow the rule of law and the rules of social civilty and coincidentally my decisions and behavior tend to fit the rules of most theocracies... but at the end of the day (or in a split second) I answer only to myself.

In my experience, independence from authority is actually more taxing than bowing to someone else's structured ways. I would caution those who aren't currently, but whom long to be their own boss, to be careful what they wish for.

Theocratically (word?), I never really had a choice but to look inward for guidance and to follow my own interpretations of what I've learned. Here too, I suspect a lack of outside guidance is often more burden than benefit.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 08:30 pm
So by "Virtually none", you mean "Actually all" but you like to pretend it's a fortuitous fit with your own will?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
Eorl wrote:
So by "Virtually none", you mean "Actually all" but you like to pretend it's a fortuitous fit with your own will?
Feel free to believe I'm pretending if you wish. The fact is; it would matter not at all if 6 Billion people and all the wisdom in recorded history dictated a rule I disagreed with. If I know I'm right, I'm right. Coincidentally, most of the folks who make rules have got a pretty good bead on things, IMO. I don't know how you'd equate a tendency toward agreement to a submission to authority, but suit yourself.

I grew up fighting authority at every avenue, for no good reason, but find the older I get the more I tend to agree. There's no shortage of fight left in me; just a lesser number of perceived battles worth fighting. It's like the old adage, "the older I get, the smarter my parents get".
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:14 pm
The point is not about whether you agree, but whether you submit (with or without protest.)

Our legal drink driving limit is .05 but I reckon I would still drive safely at .051 (we have national random breath testing here)

I submit to the law, though, because it's in my interests and also in the interests of everybody else to agree on an objective measurement of impairment.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:30 pm
My record reflects no such submission... :wink: However, my current personal rule isn't so very far from .05. Get it?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:56 am
To who's authority?

Only to the authorities of truth and reason, such as I know them at any given time.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:31 am
Cyracuz wrote:
To who's authority?

Only to the authorities of truth and reason, such as I know them at any given time.

and traffic cops, and the IRS, and the whole legislative branch of state and national government, and...
0 Replies