To whose authority do you submit?

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 12:27 pm
Quote:
and traffic cops, and the IRS, and the whole legislative branch of state and national government, and...

No. They are merely machines regulating the flow of our assets, and our lives.

Whenever a problem arises between members of the society these machines intervene. These are powerful creations, but they are not stronger than truth or reason.

Gandhi among many others demonstrated that marvelously.

Truth and reason are the guidelines of these machines, and whenever they enforce injustice, truth and reason is what will stop them.

So I submit to the authorities of truth and reason, such as I know them at any given time. If that comes into conflict with the machines, then I will either be proven wrong and forced to revise my understanding, or my case would be proven true and reasonable.

So the machines work for me, not against me. Though it sometimes doesn't feel that way.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
Relative submission?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 03:15 pm
So, when an officer of the law tells you to move this way or that, or put your hands over your head, or sign on the dotted line, you make sure you tell him (while you're following his directions to the letter) that you're not submitting - not really.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 04:22 pm
Hmm.. I do not mean that "I will bow down to no one" or that I am always in oposition. That is merely foolishness, though I confess, it sometimes gets the better of me.

But when I am ordered by the authorities I find it very unpractical to resort to useless defiance. All that ever does is complicate things for myself and likely add to the burn.
Would you keep kicking if you knew you had fallen into quicksand?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 05:27 pm
I guess what we have here is a failure to understand one another's interpretation of "submission".
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
Re: To whose authority do you submit?
neologist wrote:
to whose or to what authority do you submit?

I used to know this girl...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:54 pm
Yeah - handcuffs, whips....<insert leer>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:57 pm
You knew her too?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 07:59 pm
(Hey, someone was gonna say it ... might as well be me, BVT has the day off)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:00 pm
I hear ya Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 03:40 pm
Among the Buddha's last words were: "Be a lantern unto yourself." As I see it, don't be guided by the light of others when you have your own to travel by.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 03:44 pm
But where my light does not reach, or when it turns off, I look for that of others. But only when absolutely necessary.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 04:50 pm
Re: To whose authority do you submit?
Self discipline is most important authority for me.. My and social conscience have also act as a authority.. I believe, conscience is our internal Angel which tells us true in all manner of life. Our conscience are first Authority center...

Terror is one kind of act which doesn't listen all authorities all over the the world. Also our bad soul which doesn't attend our intelligent (most of the time) is enemy for us..

In Islamic term bad soul is called soul which order very much.. Matter of fact meaning of spirit is one kind of total authority.(Man's spirit, which has been clothed in a living, conscious, luminous external existence, is a comprehensive and veracious commanding law disposed to acquiring universality.)

So internal authority war continue on outside.. This war reflect to our social life and social authorities is shaped by this way..

In my mind, real social authorities are generally useful.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 10:48 pm
The thread title is a very good one, I think.

Who's authority do you submit to--and why do you?

I think most people who claim to be Christians were brought up in church from childhood. It's rather difficult to shake off that kind of indoctrination. Why should you? Why shouldn't you? Who would want to? Christianity can be soothing, comforting, reassuring. It's a rather easily readable roadmap through a ******* difficult existence. I think it would be safe to say that most of us would like to cling to the nice parts. The kind, generous parts, and take a look around--many of us do. As we mature, however, certain parts of the Great Story become questionable, and then, impossible to reconcile.

I think most everyone, as they reach stages in their development will ask themselves questions about their faith. Depending on how desperately they have to cling to religion--because of family or guilt or fear or lack of logical thinking or a sweet sadness that your beloved story isn't true, or just plain stubborness... whatever the reason-- some can't let go, even after it becomes apparent that it's another persistent lie our society deems appropriate--

The thing with me--I still can't let go of Jesus. He's been real to me. But the beautiful landscape I constructed around him is crumbling away.

Feeling solidarity with Samson tonight.

I was taught tht God had reasons for the stuff he did that sounded horrible. God moves in mysterious ways... God killed that family for a good reason... God hardened Pharoah's heart to make an important point,...which included killing a bunch of innocent children. I bought that when I was little. It wasn't making it with me when I was in my teens.

But, like a lot of people, I made excuses for god. I began to reject passages in the Bible, but truthfully, I never liked God. I just loved Jesus. I privately rejected god's mo a long time ago, but I (weird) wouldn't say anything out of....(respect??)..or influencing other people 'wrongly'....

The gay thing killed me. When I was a teenager, my mental image of gay people was a big writhing pile of naked flesh--Sodom and Gomorrah. When I was in my twenties and became educated about human sexuality and knew people I cared about, who were gay, I became furious that these sweet innocent people were set aside for condemnation by people who weren't as decent as they were.

I've debated people at school several times, and I'm waylaid at the steeltrap mentality they have toward why people are gay. Their existence hinges on gays choosing to be gay. If they acquiesce to the biological truth about gayness,

god was wrong. God made a mistake, or did something mean.

And their world collapses.

How can a god make a creature and condemn it because of how he made it?

No god I would worship would do such a thing.

So, I have three options:

There is no god--the whole story is a construct;

or, there is a god somewhere, who was libelled by the people who wrote the Bible

or, the characterization is true, in which case I'm in trouble, because I won't worship a god that does that.

At any rate, I am (as others would have certainly thought me to be all along Laughing ): godless.

There are some people here, who still worship god, as defined by the Bible.

Knowing what you do about the actions attributed to the god in the Bible, why do you worship him? What makes you believe the version we ended up with is accurate?

Please do yourself and everyone here a favor. Don't paste a bunch of scripture. Just talk.

Have you asked yourself questions about events as presented in the Bible? What were your answers?

I hope if anyone is candid enough to entertain these questions, we can all listen patiently and speak thoughtfully. (Don't want to lure Christians out for the lions.)

These are hard issues to confront.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 01:25 am
I've came back to this thread several times. I agree - it is a good question.
It made me think. I came up with several answers that would have sounded nice to me. All puffed up with pride, to be honest.

I am in a stage where I am struggling to claim my own authority on many fronts. Though I feel there are some areas I am rather free, in the sense that I am choosing amongst the various options, there are some where I still submit rather blindly and from fear.

So, to whose authority do I submit? To a few Matriarch-like figures. That clanishness is ingrained in me, and I do not see another avenue that I would rather pursue at the moment. I am not an anarchist.
Basically, one day, I would like that status as well.
So - family. Blood and other (family-like units in communities) supported by strong women in leadership roles.

Human Law, the State, to a degree. Mixed bag of ignorant habit, fear, and free choice (I obey the law in some situations merely bc going against it would be too much of an inconvienence weighed against what I could gain).

I submit to Might to a degree. I still have a good fear of dying and pain in me. If you are violent and dangerous enough, I'll probably crack. Though, no common bully will do.

Also, it may have been a joke, but there is something to be said for submiting to a partner. I do submit to the authority of The Man to a degree. I demand likewise. If all is well, it is balanced. King and Queen. Pipedream? maybe.

Religion is one area I feel I give little submission to authority. I've had plenty of exposure to it and plenty of free play and questioning. I feel like I made quite a lot of ground.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:09 am
Thank you so much for your thoughts! You expanded it to other areas--and I hadn't been thinking in those directions.

Lots of stuff to think about, flushd.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:23 am
Lash wrote:
I think most everyone, as they reach stages in their development will ask themselves questions about their faith. Depending on how desperately they have to cling to religion--because of family or guilt or fear or lack of logical thinking or a sweet sadness that your beloved story isn't true, or just plain stubborness... whatever the reason-- some can't let go, even after it becomes apparent that it's another persistent lie our society deems appropriate--

It is my conviction that most people hold their beliefs unexamined. I believe this has been true throughout human history, the the record of successfully proselytizing religions seems to me to bear that out. Christianity was a perfervid avowal of faith and a message of eventual salvation in a milieu (the Roman Empire) in which such fervent belief was uncommon. For Jews (and there were far more confessional Jews two thousand years ago than there were ethnic Jews--just as the Jews learned commerce from the Aramaic, the Aramaic learned relgious devotion from the Jews, and they spread it quite widely as they travelled commercial throughout the middle east and central Asia, as far as China), Christianity was at first an odd cult, and then an alarming cult. One of the early centers of Christianity was Alexandria. In Alexandria, there was a large community of Jews, within a culture which was basically Greek, due to the Greco-Macedonian dynasty of the Ptolemies, of which Cleopatra VII was the last reigning monarch.

The Jews and Greeks of Alexandria long did not get along well. When Claudius was emperor (41 to 54 CE), both communities wrote to him each to complain of the arrogance and impositions of the other. Because Alexandria was a commercial city, the Aramaic had spread Judaism to that city, and both ethnic and confessional Jews lived there in great numbers. Later, when Jews became alarmed at the spread of the cult of Jesus, they were confronted with the growing popularity of that cult among the Greeks of the city. Initially, despite what Christian propaganda purports, Christians were not officially persecuted. Their early persecution came at the hands of zealous Jews and in clashes such as that which existed in the Alexandrine community, and which was transferred to a confessional clash as Christianity became popular among the Greeks of the city. Thanks to Saul of Tarsus--known as St. Paul--the cult spread rapidly among Greek communities, which was likely no accident.

The message of this Joshuah, if he ever actually existed, is remarkably like that of the Essenes (i will not go into that in detail)--adherence to the Mosaic Law coupled with internal mysticism. If this Joshuah actually existed, and is not simply the symbolic embodiment of as spiritual movement, he represented a break with the main Essene movement, which was hermetic and secretive. But the message is not one of a new, organized cult. The message, visible even in the dubious gospels, is that one seeks "the kingdom of God," that one seeks "salvation" within, and not through participation in doctrinaire practice. The "Jesus" of the gospels asserts the primacy of the law, while calling upon people to examine their own hearts. But even as early as Paul, whether or not he were the proximate cause, the primitive church was becoming hierarchical and doctrinaire.

Because none of the common cults of the Empire--which was a pluralistic and mostly tolerant society (it did not tolerate defiance of the imperial authority, and when Christians were actively, officially persecuted, it was because they were seen as opposed to or supporting opposition to imperial authority)--offered the sort of fervor and certitude of Christianity, it had available to it an appeal lacking elsewhere. This is germane to the topic of authority, because the primitive church very quickly established an orthodox creed and a hierarchy of "church fathers" which is not necessarily foreseen in the gospels. The message as it was being peddled by the end of the first century CE combined with a structured church gave new adherents both a fervent faith-based belief set and the certitude of orthodoxy and hierarchy.

The same thing can be seen with Islam. At the time of the Prophet, the most of Arabs were either "pagan" or they were confessional Jews (the Aramaic, once again). There was no belief set available to them which offered the same power and appeal to authority. After the death of the Prophet, when Ali and the companions brought bloody red war to their neighbors while spreading the new religion, they faced at first little real oppostion, either military or religious. Among the people of the corrupt and degenerate Sassanid empire, temporal authority was largely ineffective and viewed with contempt within as it was by the enemy without; "pagan" cults, Christianity and confessional Judaism offered little in the way of an organizing force to resist the new creed brought on the swords of a warlike and fervent invader. Where the Muslims encountered effective resistance, such as from the Roman Empire (now centered on Constantinople), the new creed was as effectively resisted as were the Arab armies. So the Muslims spread to the east (to Persia and central Asia) and to the west, into North Africa. To the east, no effective political organization opposed Ali and his Holy Warriors. To the west, only the degenerate and weak kingdoms of the Vandals and Visigoths, highly unpopular rulers who had imposed on the local populations, opposed the spread of Islam. From Egypt, where a new version of Shi'ism was erected in the name of Fatima, the Prophet's daughter and Ali's wife, Islam spread westward to people eager to throw off the yoke of their German masters, whose discredited Arian Christianity sat lightly on the population, if at all.

When Christians faced "pagans" such as the Saxons or the Russians, the "old Gods" hadn't the power to provide the organizing force for resistance. Any failure of the self-constituted monarchical authority lead to conquest and the imposition of Christianity. Where rulers embraced Christianity, the local population had no belief set of the same passion, nor one purporting to have all the anwers, with which to oppose the new creed. In Iberia, the Andalus of the Muslims, two perfervid creeds opposed one another, the Christians and the Muslims. The failure of Vandal authority in "Spain" did not lead to the abadonment of Christianity, still a relatively new and powerful cult. The history of Iberia from the arrival of the Muslim Berbers and Moors to the successful reconquista in 1492 is one of constant struggle between two communities who lived uneasily side by side when not actually at war. The lack of effective centralized rule among either Christians or Muslims left the situation in constant flux. The rise of the combined power of Castile and Arragon under Isabella and Ferdinand spelled the doom of Islam in Spain, more because of the lack of an effective authority to opposed them than any putative inferiority in the Muslim creed.

I beleive that most people hold their beliefs unexamined. But we live in a world in which that is changing. The fundamentalist Christian is nothing new. The first significant revivalist movement in the North American colonies arose in the 1730s, and derived from evangelicalism in England (where the restoration of the monarchy and the suppression of the Puritans did not quench the thirst for fervor and certitude among a population for most of whom the established church represented a remote and oligarchic organization with little relevance for their own lives). A later evangelic movement showed that the established church had learned nothing, and John Wesley preached with a zeal that attracted followers in their millions, resulting in the rise of Methodism.

In North America, the established church went the way of all English institutions in what is now the United States, and the founders undertook to assure the pluralistic population that the government would favor no particular creed. In Canada, the established church, in the reactionary settlement imposed after the successful American revolution, was given two sevenths of all public land, assuring their wealth and a political influence out of all proportion to the number of adherents. Evangelism waxed and waned in the United States, reaching a new popularity in the years before the Civil War, especially after the alarm the comfortable, traditional churchs experience at the sudden rise of the Mormons. The Civil War itself lead to a spread of the tent meeting of evangelical believers in the South, when two "Saints" in the Southern military and religious pantheon, "Stonewall" Jackson and JEB Stuart, actively worked to spread "the good news" among the Confederate soldiers. Jackson was a Presbyterian and Stuart was an Anglican, and so their institution of a chaplains' service and tent revival meetings in the army was non-sectarian. The tradition of non-sectarian evangelism grew and prospered in the South, and soon after the war, spread to the North. At the same time, fervent Protestantism became a mainstay of the communities of emancipated slaves, and the power of the local church in the black community remains strong to this day.

In the age in which we now live, fundamentalists have decided that a secular, pluralistic society which tolerates those things which they are not willing to tolerate--homosexuality, abortion, an a-religious public life--has lead them into what i consider foolishness, which is the attempt to impose on society in general. This has slowly but more and more surely raised up an opposition to them and their agenda, which leads to public discussions of faith and the implications of belief and creed which are unprecedented in our history. In the late nineteenth century, the "Lily White" movement arose in the South, and was not necessarily unpopular in the north. It was resolutely racist, anti-Catholic and anti-Jew. In that most Americans identified with a particular Protestant creed, it did not inspire the sort of alarm with which we might view such a development. The modern Ku Klux Klan, resurrected in Georgia before the Great War spread rapidly throughout the South and into the North. It's founder, William J. Simmons, was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the South (to their credit, the church suspended him for "inefficiency"). The trial and lynching of a Jew, Leo Frank, on an accusation of murder, served to galvanize the movement and to successfully spread it's message of religious particularism and racial hatred. The modern Klan still adversises itself as: "Bringing a Message of Hope and Deliverance to White Christian America!"--at its web site (sure, come on, you knew they would have one, didn't you?)

I believe that most people hold their beliefs unexamined--but it is getting harder to do so. I disagree with Lash in that i don't believe that people necessarily reach a stage in their lives at which they examine their faith--people are not necessarily always contemplative, and as she has noted, people will react violently to the questioning of their beliefs. Throughout most of history, it has been possible to go from cradle to grave without questioning one's beliefs or having them challenged. The unique current situation with fundamentalists entering the political arena with an agenda and a vengeance is changing all of that.

Quote:
Please do yourself and everyone here a favor. Don't paste a bunch of scripture. Just talk.

Don't hold your breath--it's much easier to parrot chapter and verse than it is to actually think about these things.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:23 am
Adam and Eve's sin, by our standards, seems insignificant. Eating a fruit; what's that about? And, surely, homosexuals can hardly be compared with the genocidal maniacs staining our daily headlines.

Nevertheless, if you concede our having been created, it is certain that homosexual behavior is contrary to the designs of the creator. He does, after all, know what is best for us and has the right to legislate standards for us. Is anyone of the opinion that homosexuality is a healthy life course?

But, sin is sin. Homosexual behavior is no worse than lying, no better than murder. And all sins may be forgiven.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:39 am
Setanta wrote:
. . . It is my conviction that most people hold their beliefs unexamined. . .
How true
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 07:40 am
neologist wrote:
Nevertheless, if you concede our having been created, it is certain that homosexual behavior is contrary to the designs of the creator. He does, after all, know what is best for us and has the right to legislate standards for us. Is anyone of the opinion that homosexuality is a healthy life course?

But, sin is sin. Homosexual behavior is no worse than lying, no better than murder. And all sins may be forgiven.

This is false. Were humanity created, it is not axiomatic that homosexuality is "contrary to the designs of the creator." It is contrary to the apparent designs of the creator stipulated in the Torah/Old Testament, and only if one believes in divinely-inspired, inerrant scriptural accuracy.
0 Replies