THE ATLANTA BRAVES

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:56 pm
Quote:
Thu May 15, 2003 11:19 PM ET

SAN DIEGO (Reuters) - Marcus Giles homered, had four hits, scored three runs and drove in another three to lead the Atlanta Braves past the San Diego Padres 15-6 in National League action on Thursday.

My wife and I are Braves fans. THE KID, as I call him, has peaked our interest since he first arrived. Blue collar, expects to earn his keep, willing to learn, litte kid grin and determined to be the best he can be...just our type of guy. We wondered if any of you folks had taken a likin' to him?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,790 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 10:35 am
Gee, I was hoping there might be another fan out there.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 12:02 pm
Sorry to be so late, Mapleleaf!

I'm a MAJOR Braves fan and have been one since they won the World Series in Milwaukee. Must admit I was concerned with the wholesale changes in the pitching staff after last season, and I really wish Ted still owned the team. I also miss Skip and Pete every time I watch.

Having said all that, this team has been amazing, hasn't it? And I love Marcus. It's great seeing him play so well! And how about Furcal, not to mention the Joneses, Sheffield--Javy Lopez is even hitting well!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 12:26 pm
B. and I turn on the radio and turn-down the audio on the TV. Can't miss Skip's golden goodies remarks. Actually, they are playing like a baseball team should play. Furcal gets on, Marcus moves him over and one of the big three knock in the runs. Now, we will have to see if they can maintain the quality play through the season. Is it just me, or does Sheffield look like he is enjoying himself? I swear; he looks happy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 12:35 pm
I envy you having access to the radio broadcasts. I have nothing against Joe Simpson, as long as he's paired with Skip. I find Don Sutton repetitive in the extreme. And I really miss hearing Skip say, "Right you are, Joe Simpson" several times a week. It's like I've lost a friend!

If the team weren't playing so well, I'd find something else to do. Bobby must love finally having a team that can hit worth a damn! They even win games when they give up five or six runs. Amazing! And yes, Sheffield does seem to be having fun. Did you that shot to the left field wall the other night that practically knocked over poor Brian Jordan?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 02:23 pm
We are not Don Sutton fans; Joe is OK. I probably missed the SHOT TO THE LEFT FIELD WALL. It is heartening, this year, to see the team coming from behind to win.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 03:04 pm
Joe seems like a nice guy, and he's an ex-Seattle Mariner (and announcer). Don, I'm not so sure about. Plus he should've kept this mouth shut during the recent Hall of Fame fiasco when the "Bull Durham" event was cancelled. He sided with the Hall of Fame.

Skip is probably equally as conservative, but he seemed to know how to keep his mouth shut about it. He's genuinely funny and tells great stories of the old days. He once said that when the St. Louis Browns were playing (and badly), the city's motto was: "First in shoes, first in booze, and last in the American League." Great stuff!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 16 May, 2003 06:12 pm
Agreed...we miss him on TV, but, of course, we are LOCAL FOLKS.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 02:05 pm
But you can catch Skip and Pete on Turner Sports cable, no?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:03 pm
Sure can, in fact, we did it today. By the way, I read the Times article.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 09:29 am
It's always nice to see baseball coverage in the Times focussing on something other than the Yankees and Mets. Though, of course, reading about the Yankees now has been more fun than usual. I think Steinbrenner must be just about ready to implode, or will be if his team doesn't turn it around vs. Boston this week.

Meanwhile, 31-13--I love it!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:08 pm
I'm ready for baseball...Atlanta Braves that is. Anyone else out there who's getting restless?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:52 pm
Yep. Must try to take a day off if Smoltz pitches opening day and it's on TBS!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 03:00 am
i've been eagerly & impatiently waiting for 4/3/05 since 10/27/04... that was one loooooooong friggin' winter!!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 07:51 pm
Baseball, to me, is a sign of Spring; it brings a big smile on my face.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 09:27 pm
B. and I enjoy watching the Braves on TV. We don't feel comfortable traveling at night...so we seldom attend the games in person.

Who did we give up to get our closer...Kolb(?) I wonder what's going on in his head? B. and I look forward to following the new kids...

Our town of Rome, GA has a new stadium (3 years) and the Rome Braves...a minor league affiliate.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 05:34 pm
no one -- they moved smoltz back to the starting rotation...
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:06 pm
It will be interesting to see how Bobby maintains a competitive team????
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 07:30 pm
Well, being an avid Marlins fan (who as I speak are pulling a great 9th inning 3 run comeback) I don't really like the Braves to put it nicely. I enjoy every loss they have.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:07 am
The Marlins look tough this year. I see the Braves hanging in there, but their bullpen better gel in a hurry. Right now, the last few innings are a real adventure when the Braves have less than a five-run lead.
0 Replies