How to make a small house look wide and bright?

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:49 am
Hello,everybody.I know that you are very good at decorating house.I have a small room.you know because it is small,make me feel under pressure.So I ask for help.Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 795 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:20 am
do you know a word mirror it is what you look in and see yourself.

I f you put mirrors large on your walls your room will feel larger. also open windows and curtains to let as much sunlight in as possible
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:32 am
http://interiordec.about.com/cs/articl2/a/des_smallspaces.htm
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:56 am
Use light colours, dark colours will make it look heavy and small.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:40 am
Resident professional interior designer, here.

Although it is commonly accepted that light colours make things look larger, that's not completely true in interiors. The perceived spaciousness of an interior is more dependent on low contrast, proportional furnishings, no clutter and horizontal lines.

Low contrast: high use of a single colour. A room that has walls and furnishings of the same green, for example, will appear larger than a room with beige walls and red furniture. An often overlooked area is the ceiling ~ paint it the same as the walls in a very small room. That way the eye does not stop at the top of the walls, it keeps travelling ~ doesn't register the limits of the room.

But a totally monochromatic room can be boring. Make sure you add some texture, and small areas of a single analogous accent colour.

Furnishings: this is easy -- small room, small furniture.

Horizontal lines: keep the furniture low and of the same height. This creates a horizontal line that makes the eye travel around the room, and appears to widen the room. Avoid vertical things -- tall plants, long posters or artwork, floor-to-ceiling drapery. Think how wide the prairie looks, with its simple colour scheme and single horizontal line, as opposed to the forest, with its many vertical tree trunks and diverse colour scheme.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:45 am
You're an interior decorator?

COOL!

Now I know who to come to for advice!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:56 am
and small areas of a single analogous accent colour.

oh yeees. Ive always been a proponant of this.
0 Replies