Do People Delight in the Failures of Others?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I check the obits just to see if I'm still alive. c.i.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Heeven, you make an excellent point, but you brought up a sore spot . . . I'm reaching for the tissues:

Uh . . . How can I say this? . . . Uh, actually, my parents did NOT congratulate me for graduating from HS--a year early, even!

My sisters' received all the trimmings at their graduation, including a new car. I got nothing. <sigh>

All they had to say was that they had mispronounced my name.

Oh, well.

From college?

I didn't even walk. What would have been the point?

And here I thought this was all behind me. <sniff>
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:16 pm
cicerone imposter, I'm sorry for your loss, both losses . . .

heeven, thanks for your words. My mom, too, has grown up, finally. And, you know, all the things I didn't learn from her and hear from her, I have lived long enough to learn most of them by now, I believe. Whatever. If we live long enough, then we might just get all that we need to feel whole, whether we give it to ourselves or someone does come along and shed some light, as well as the occassional praise and support.

My mom was probably an acoholic, probably a legalized drug addict, certainly a workaholic. She used to be a worrywort and a pest. Now, her husband is very ill, and for the last two years I've heard nothing but gratitude from her for what help I can give and no criticism at all.

I'm past needing anyone to "be happy" for me. Frankly, other than my closest friends and family, I don't have enough energy to "be happy" for everyone I meet and all of their achievements, you know? I'm busy just like everyone else.

I used to not be able to stand it when people were jealous of me, used to be so self-effacing I would draw too much attention to myself. Now, I just don't care. Let them be "pea green with envy" if they want to be. They really don't know what I did to get or to accomplish the few things I can be proud of. And . . . I'm too busy to worry about any of that anymore.

Whew!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:53 pm
The transition from childhood to adulthood is marked by the advent of realization that, no matter how badly, or inappropriately one has been treated by one's parent(s), you are now able to take responsibility for your actions, and make your own assessment of self worth, and if there are wounds and scars from parental mistakes, they can be cured by your own compassion for their shortcomings!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:56 pm
Wise words! Glad to know I finally made it . . . and with no fanfare even.

I'll go ahead and take my thumb out of my mouth now . . .
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:17 pm
That's it, your in!

Strange place to have a mouth! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:19 pm
HaHaHa!

And when I get the joke . . . I'll laugh even harder.

?????
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:31 pm
If you're going to; get that pesky thumb out first! Shocked
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:39 pm
Thwaap!

All better now.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 02:41 pm
Ouch!! Mad
I think that's going to get really red! Embarrassed
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 04:25 pm
is it not true that experience shows humanity that personal growth and inner strength comes by having troubles and reflection upon them?

so, if you truly loved someone and wanted their real spiritual best interests visited upon them, one would wish bad things to happen to them so they could ovecome them and grow as a person.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 04:54 pm
kuvasz, I wish you .......... can't say it! c.i.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 06:38 pm
may you stride on broken glass
and slip and fall upon your ass
may it teach you not to run,
and learn that we are all just ONE
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:12 pm
I didn't see the German word that is defined just as you said. Joy or glee at another's misfortune.

The word is "schadenfreud" (spelling?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:15 pm
The title wrote:
Do People Delight in the Failures of Others?

Well duh . . . only for about the last few million years . . .
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:16 pm
I like to see stories where someone failed miserably, fell into hard times, lost all hope for awhile but somehow eventually picked themselves up and went on to some sort of success.

And they are scarred, but now have this great success.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 07:27 am
Well, there was Adolf Hitler . . .
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:31 am
Nelson Mandella
Nelsom Mandella.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:50 am
Raymond Carver finally managed to quit drinking and was a recovered alcoholic during
the last ten years of his life. This was when he finally achieved great acclaim and recognition for his writing.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:51 am
Tina Turner was an abused wife, found the courage to leave her abuser and the wealth that their partnership afforded her only to survive being on her own and enjoy great success and acclaim as a solo artist.
0 Replies