Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:26 am
In Christian, Muslim, Jewdism, Mormons.......There are angels. But why would and omnipresent god need angels? Hes everywhere isn't he? PLus angels aren't perfect, they became demons. So why would he use them at all?

To me it seems like monotheic religions are using angels so they don't have to use more gods. B/c face it at the time in the middle east, the was alot of pagan religions with thousands of gods, so when ppl saw Moses with only one god, he came up with angels, heavenly servants of god. but b/c it was monothiec, you could not pray to them or worship them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,622 • Replies: 65
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:29 am
Maybe it lets God off the hook for some questionable deeds. Consider Judaism (I'm Jewish, I wrestle with this on occasion): the 10th Plague is the slaying of the first born. This is old, young, innocent and guilty. It's grandfathers and infants, geniuses and fools, the good and the wicked (although, presumably, the good joined with the Israelites and put their heads under doors marked with lamb's blood - the mezuzah is a commemoration of that). But it still seems awfully unjust to kill a bunch of children. Regardless of how awful the Egyptians may have been at the time, regardless of the slaying of first-born Hebrews that had occurred, it just doesn't sit right. Hence God doesn't do the dirty deed; it's the Angel of Death who takes the rap.

Are God and the Angel o' Death one and the same? You betcha. But in this way, if anyone dares to say, well, yanno, killing a bunch of kids is just awful and they, personally, are not to blame, so where are we getting off claiming superiority, at least they aren't questioning or attacking God, they're going after God's proxy, who is a somewhat (although not completely, see the story of Lot) safer target.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:59 am
Re: Angels?
EpiNirvana wrote:
In Christian, Muslim, Jewdism, Mormons.......There are angels. But why would and omnipresent god need angels?

God doesn't NEED angels. God created Angels for the same reason God created the human race, to reflect His glory.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:02 am
For that matter, why do we have kids?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:06 am
neologist wrote:

People have KIDS for different reasons. There was a time in the USA, when the poor would have 17-20 kids per couple. Was this compensation for lack of money or was it pressure from a church, or was it the result of a lack of knowledge of birth control?

Now days, many very wealthy people are having large families of 5-8 kids. Why? Don't have the slightest idea>....
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:10 am
Jespah thanks for that perspective, sounds like a good idea to me!

so miller, are you basicly saying god has angels to make him look cool? Like when a boxer enters the ring with like 50 ppl.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:10 am
One sort of the angels are worshippers, and the worship of another sort is in work.

Of the angels of the earth, the sort that are workers have a kind of human occupation.

If one may say so, one type are like shepherds and another like farmers. That is to say, the face of the earth is like a general farm and an appointed angel supervises all the species of animals within it through the command of the All-Glorious Creator, and with His permission, for His sake and through His power and strength.

And for each species of animal there is a lesser angel who is is appointed to act as a special shepherd.

The face of the earth is also a place of cultivation; the plants are all sown in it.

There is an angel charged with supervising them in the name of God Almighty and through His power, and there are angels who are lesser than him and who worship and glorify God by supervising particular species.

The Archangel Michael (Peace be upon him), who is one of the bearers of the throne of sustenance, is the most important overseer of these.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
EpiNirvana wrote:

so miller, are you basicly saying god has angels to make him look cool?

How do you equate GLORY with "coolness"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:19 am
Well, no we've got the lost in fantasy land response . . .

As for this:

Miller wrote:
neologist wrote:

People have KIDS for different reasons. There was a time in the USA, when the poor would have 17-20 kids per couple. Was this compensation for lack of money or was it pressure from a church, or was it the result of a lack of knowledge of birth control?

Now days, many very wealthy people are having large families of 5-8 kids. Why? Don't have the slightest idea>.... (emphasis added)

Seventeen to twenty kids? Are you goofy? Have you got a source for such a contention, as well as your contention that "many very wealthy people are having large families of 5-8 kids?" I submit that you have little knowledge or experience of preganancy and how it affects women, and in particular, poor women. Child bed fever would very likely have carried off any woman long before she could get up to 17 children, never mind the unsanitary conditions in which people lived and infants were delivered.

Frankly, i think you're living in fantasy land, just like Kevin Moon--you just put a more plausible, but no more reliable--face on your nonsense.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
kevnmoon wrote:
One sort of the angels are worshippers, and the worship of another sort is in work.

Of the angels of the earth, the sort that are workers have a kind of human occupation.

If one may say so, one type are like shepherds and another like farmers. That is to say, the face of the earth is like a general farm and an appointed angel supervises all the species of animals within it through the command of the All-Glorious Creator, and with His permission, for His sake and through His power and strength.

And for each species of animal there is a lesser angel who is is appointed to act as a special shepherd.

The face of the earth is also a place of cultivation; the plants are all sown in it.

There is an angel charged with supervising them in the name of God Almighty and through His power, and there are angels who are lesser than him and who worship and glorify God by supervising particular species.

The Archangel Michael (Peace be upon him), who is one of the bearers of the throne of sustenance, is the most important overseer of these.

And of course, you know that each human being has two angels, one on the right shoulder and one on the left shoulder.
Also, don't forget the ANGEL OF DEATH.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:22 am
Re: Angels?
EpiNirvana wrote:
it was monothiec, you could not pray to them or worship them.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:28 am
Yes, Miller... There r many kinds of Angel.. Also there r angels in the star.. They represent star's prayer to God..

Yes, these two Angels r for writing humankind actions..

Yes, there is a death Angel.. Death Angel's duty (prayer) is to take our souls..
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:30 am
While growing up in large US City, I saw families that did have 17-20 kids all living in one large apartment. They slept in shifts, and worked in shifts to save space. The husband in one such family, came home from work one night and hung himself in the closet. I remember this too, since one of the kids ( Danny, a friend of mine ) ran to get the priest, after he found his dead father.

Many of the families were Catholics and many of the mothers did the laundry for the Catholic nuns, who lived in a nearby convent, so that their kids would have free tuition to the nearby grade school.

As far as large famlies among the wealthy, the Boston Globe recently published an article on this subect, and you may read the article, after searching the Globe archives.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:32 am
In other words, you have anecdote and not evidence.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:33 am
These sentences r sample for all kind of Angels duty and also show Angels has no direct effect on creatures as humankind.

''The Angel Azra'il (Peace be upon him) said to Almighty God: "Your servants will complain about me while I am carrying out my duty of taking possession of the spirits of the dying; they will be resentful towards me."

So Almighty God said to him through the tongue of wisdom: "I shall leave the veil of disasters and illnesses between you and my servants so that the complaints will be directed at them, and they will not be indignant at you."

So see, illnesses are a veil; what are imagined to be the bad things at the appointed hour are attributed to them, and what are in reality the good things in the spirits of the dying being seized are attributed to Azra'il (PBH) and his duty.

Azra'il is also a veil; he is a supervisor of that duty and a veil to Divine power so that certain conditions when spirits are seized which are apparently unkind and are inappropriate to the perfection of mercy be attributed to him.

Yes, dignity and grandeur demand that causes are a veil to the hand of power in the view of the mind, while Divine unity and glory demand that causes withdraw their hands and have no true effect.'' BSN
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:33 am
I'm not searching anything. If you make a claim, and expect it to be taken seriously, you need to provide the evidence.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:34 am
Setanta wrote:

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:35 am
In Muslim and Islam theology, Azrael is the Angel of Death who is "forever writing in a large book and forever erasing what he writes: what he writes is the birth of man, what he erases is the name of the man at death."

Other faiths name the Angel of Death as a different angel:

In Judeo-Christian lore, Michael, Gabriel, Sammael, and Sariel all all named as the angel of death.

In Zoroastrianism the angel of death is Mairya.

In Babylon it is Mot.

In Rabbinical lore there are 14 angels of death: Yetzerhara, Adriel, Yehudiam, Abaddon, Sammael, Azrael, Metatron, Gabriel, Mashhit, Hemah, Malach ha-Mavet, Kafziel, Kesef, and Leviathan.

In Falasha lore it is Suriel.

The Arabic angel is Azrael.

Jewish lore says this angel is Rahab, who, lore goes on to say, was destroyed by God for refusing to part the waters of the red sea. The new angel of death then became Yama (Malach ha-Mavet).

The Talmud says the angel of death was equated with Satan, and thus became the legend that the angel of death was evil, rather than the good angel he is.

Azrael, also known as Izra'il, one of the four Archangels of Islam (Mikhail, Djibril, and Israfil), is pictured as having gigantic proportions: one foot rests in either the forth or the seventh heaven, while the other is on the bridge between hell and paradise. Supposedly Azrael brought God a handful of earth from which to create Adam and therefore earned his title as the Angel of Death. Izra'il keeps a roll of humanity, on which the names of the damned are circle in black and the names of the blessed, in light. When a person's day of death approaches, a leaf with the person's name on it falls from the tree beneath God's throne. After forty days have passed, Izra'il must sever the individual's soul from his or her body.

Azrael will be the last to die, but will do so at the second trump of the Archangel. He is the angel who accompanies your soul to Heaven.

The phrase 'the Wings of Azrael' refers to the approach of death; the signs of death coming on the dying.

Call on this angel at those times of grief to comfort those loved ones left behind.

sarahsarchangels.com
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:35 am
kevnmoon wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Yes, that was worth repeating.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:36 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm not searching anything.

So be it!
0 Replies