LOW GI DIET? - POST YOUR RECIPES HERE!

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:43 am
Having just been chatting to a fellow Brit A2Ker, who has a similar talent for acquiring relaxed muscle, I have been inspired to start a thread for Low GI Recipes.

Now, we all buy these lovely glossy books with wonderful colour photos of Cordon Bleu looking meals.... but when we get home, we find that most of the recipes involve the usage of Patagonian Banyan pods, Peruvian Sea Grass or Tibetan Guinea Fowl.

The book ends up permanently open at the one recipe that is a) edible, and b) contains ingredients that are readily available to those of us who don't live in a hut covered with palm leaves.

The page invariably accumulates all manner of red and brown staining, greasy thumbmarks and great clods of dried flour glue. The cook and his/her family get sick and tired of eating the same meal for three months, and so they end up ordering a meat feast pizza, and chuck the book in the bin.

So, what I hope to start is a thread, solely devoted to Low GI Recipes, that we cellulitically advantaged A2Ker's have actually tried, liked, and didn't have to spend an inordinate amount of money on air fares in order to obtain the ingredients.

If anyone wishes to post a recipe on here, would they please type, in CAPITAL LETTERS at the top, whether it is a breakfast, lunch, evening meal, or snack. Please would you also give it an honest rating out of ten, and a few comments, if you have the time.
By highlighting the "category" of meal at the top, anyone who is experiencing a loud grumbling of the lower regions and is looking for inspiration, will be able to quickly flick through until they find the category of their choice.

I'll be back in a mo, with one to start the ball rolling.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,206 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:06 am
DINNER.

BAKED SWEET POTATO WITH GRIDDLED HERB CHICKEN.

Prep time: 10 Minutes, plus marinading. Cooking (about 75 mins)

Ingredients (serves 4, apparently)

4 Sweet potatoes, about 8oz each.
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
6 Tablespoons of mixed herbs (mint, parsley, fresh coriander, oregano etc)
1 Garlic clove.
1 Tablespoon Capers.
2 Teaspoons clear honey.
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard (dijon is mild, so be creative if you can't get it)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
4 Tablespoons light cream cheese
Pepper.

1. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and cook in a pre-heated oven (200c, gas mark 6), for one hour, to 75 mins.(until tender).

2. Meanwhile, with artistic flair, cut three slices into the flesh of the chicken (don't cut all the way through).
Adopt an air of nonchalance, as you place the herbs, garlic, capers, honey, mustard and a little soupcon of the oil into a food blender and process untill well combined, making sure that the hi fi is set loud enough as to be heard over the top of the infernal racket that the blender makes. "La Bamba" is the recommended music to accompany this particular dish.

3. Rub this mixture erotically over the breasts, cover and leave in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, for the flavours to develop.

4. Heat a griddle (or griddle pan) until hot, drizzle the remaining oil over the chicken, then place the chicken on the griddle and cook for 3 - 4 minutes on each side until it begins to char and the chicken is cooked through.

5. Contorting your face to resemble a demented Brain Surgeon, cut the sweet potatoes open, spoon in some cream cheese and season with plenty of pepper.

Serve with the chicken.

9/10. Marvellous!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:12 am
To me ,when I see "Low GI" I think of getting a television set shoved up my ass. Is "GI" a foo-foo Brit word for easy fixin? why not just say easy fixin you inbred royalist fop.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:20 am
Having been in the Army, G.I. often evokes for me the image of a grunt, an infantyman. Having been in the Army Medical Corps, G.I. will also often evoke gastro-intestinal, since "GI" disorders are common among soldiers overseas in exotic locales. England is not a venue which i have ever considered an exotic locale, but with dishes such as toad in the hole, or a London broil, i do readily view as a place in which GI disorders would be rife.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:26 am
Laughing

GI in this case isn't gastro intestinal but glycaemic index

.... I hate cooking but am prone to those relaxed muscles so watching .....

I do love alfalfa sprouts - which are very low GI and easy to sprout (seeds from health food shops) and are gorgeous in pitta bread with hummous. Is hummous low GI ???
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:27 am
how bout serving everything with curds? The abundant(and often unrecognized species content)of the flor in "curds" boggle the mind."british cuisine" is like saying "Yugo limousine"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
Low GI diets help people lose and control weight
Low GI diets increase the body's sensitivity to insulin
Low GI carbs improve diabetes control
Low GI carbs reduce the risk of heart disease
Low GI carbs reduce blood cholesterol levels
Low GI carbs can help you manage the symptoms of PCOS
Low GI carbs reduce hunger and keep you fuller for longer
Low GI carbs prolong physical endurance
High GI carbs help re-fuel carbohydrate stores after exercise

Seems we have another "fad" way to lose pork and put on beef. Im waiting for the Da Vinci Code Diet, it will answer all my heretofore unknowable questions and will no doubt involve upping my exercise level by finding assistance from someone named Mary.

One more benefit, Low GI carbs will help sell books , when in reality the book should be attached to the back bumper of a pickup travelling at 15 mph, so you must read it while running.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:44 am
Oh well, I tried....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 06:58 am
dont go away . I just needed to know the meaning (in your sense ), of the abbreviation G.I. Set and I both had different spins on this.

Ill post some recipes if you quit whining and feeling sorry for yourself . Think of the boys flying their spits at the Luftwaffe, did they give up just because some yank told em they should stop painting bullseyes on the sides of their planes? No, they went ahead and took it to Goehring. And they were fit, by God, ebvery man jack of them. Except for Godwin-Tillybran "zeppelinbutt'Thawghardy. Poor bloke, he became wedged in his cockpit and couldnt extract himself over the channel when his plane was hit. Sad story relly.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 07:43 am
Quit the complaining!!Different things work for different people!!

Will the Da Vinci Code Diet include being told that you are thin for 2,000 years where in actual fact your carrying a wide load?It was there all the time, you just didnt se it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 09:42 am
Well, I think this thread is a MARVELOUS idea, LordE!

I am always looking for recipes like this. I'm going to try your chicken recipe this week.

One question. Is La Bamba absolutely essential, or may I substitute a dash of Leon Redbone? Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:53 am
Now hes pouting, or else hes gooned, hard to tell with his lordship
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 12:01 pm
farmerman wrote:
Im waiting for the Da Vinci Code Diet

That, sadly, is already here.

'Da Vinci Diet' Digs Carbs

PORTLAND, Maine, June 15, 2004

(AP) A baker who lost nearly half his customers to the low-carb craze has tapped Dan Brown's best-selling novel for an Atkins alternative called the "Da Vinci Diet" that he hopes will bring people back to bread.

A little math theory kneaded with biblical lore from "The Da Vinci Code" has transformed Stephen Lanzalotta into a dietary sage, answering the "carbohydrate question" with a series of lectures promoting a diet he has followed for decades to maintain a muscular 160 pounds into middle age.

Admittedly, he is neither a nutritionist nor a scholar - his background is in biology and biochemistry. But Lanzalotta argues that people have been eating bread for too long for it suddenly to be the reason everyone is fat.

"Human civilization and grain have ties that go way back. No municipal society evolved without grain, no matter what it was," said Lanzalotta, who kneads his dough by hand like ancient breadmakers. "Not that I believe bread is one of the most sacred foods, but it is one of the most important things we can eat."

Lanzalotta argues that bread forms the building blocks of the body and, in moderation, can lead to more stable moods, clearer thought and a rock-hard body, right down to the washboard stomach of a Renaissance statue.

The Da Vinci Diet is not published and is revealed primarily through the baker's lectures. It consists mostly of Mediterranean foods - the foods ancient thinkers and artists ate. Fish, cheese, vegetables, meat, nuts and wine, in addition to bread - none are taboo at Da Vinci's table.

In his diet, Lanzalotta uses a complicated formula he created that relies on the value of phi, a number discovered by ancient mathematics, used to build the pyramids, and featured prominently in Brown's book.

The value, 1.618, is known as the "golden ratio." It has long fascinated artists, philosophers and mathematicians.

Taking into account factors including body type, the diet typically breaks down to 52 percent carbohydrates, 20 percent protein and 28 percent fat. That's fewer carbohydrates and more protein than current federal guidelines.

The formula also can help people choose the right foods without turning a finicky eye toward the bread humans have consumed for the ages, Lanzalotta said.

A little suspect? Maybe.

In his book "The Golden Ratio," Mario Livio, an astrophysicist and senior scientist on the Hubble Telescope, discusses the history of the number. But Livio questions whether a diet based on it is better for the body.

"I'm not surprised in the sense that the golden ratio has been incorporated into many things," Livio said. "But to claim that we are tuned precisely to the number, I don't think there is particularly strong evidence."

Lanzalotta is not alone in looking for a carbohydrate-considerate way to eat, said Dave Grotto, a spokesman for the American Dietetic Association.

Grotto agrees with Lanzalotta's claim that most new "Atkins friendly" processed snacks on grocery shelves are mostly nonnutritive filler - low-carbohydrate cookies and treats that critics describe as tasting like cardboard.

"The bakery industry has been in essence turned on its head," Grotto said. "But the truth of the matter, we eat because we enjoy the taste of food. And some of that gets lost in translation in low-carb foods. Some of it is God-awful."

When low-carbohydrate diets took off amid an ever-fatter population, Lanzalotta was spending hours researching food, exploring radical dietary regimens, and finding ways to incorporate bread to make it healthy.

He actually understands why low-carb diets work and appreciates the discipline involved. The diet has its strong points, he said.

"I'm not suggesting that we eat more bread," Lanzalotta said. "I'm just trying to look at the problems with eating only meat."

------------------------

In spite of this, I wish LE would keep posting those recipies. I'm certainly interested in them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 12:17 pm
Here's one link on the glycemic index - there are a lot of links on google with lists -
http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/articles/glycemic-index/

I seem to remember seeing a lengthy list about a year ago.

Bread lover here, but I eat less of it than I used to, and wait until I can get to the shop with the best bread. One of these days I'm going to start making it myself again.
0 Replies