if jesus died for us.....?

tycoon

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 09:43 am
muslim1 wrote:
I have a few questions regarding the Christian belief of Jesus's "death and resurrection". Here is the first one:

What happens to people who died before Jesus (peace be upon him) came? Since they did not know of Jesus (peace be upon him), will they go to hell?

Thank you in advance for an answer.

A thorny question for Christians, and one that has spawned hundreds of different answers.

One of the most common responses is to quote Paul in Romans 2: 14-16:

"For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."

In other words, they get a free pass if they did good deeds; if their heart was in the right place.

One can see a terrible conundrum in this answer, however. What about the missionaries who travel to the ends of the earth spreading the gospels? What fate befalls the poor host who hears the confusing (let's be honest) story of this man-god and decides to reject it--understandably--in favor of his native religion?

It appears as though the missionary has done extreme, irreversible damage. He or she has now condemned the indigent to eternal hellfire, whereas before the poor boob got a 'get out of jail free' card.

If this belief be true, we need to immediately recall all missionaries before further damage is done. I whole-heartedly endorse that idea.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:18 am
Muslim1,

For those born before Christ they would receive salvation if they believed in God the Father.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:31 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Muslim1,

For those born before Christ they would receive salvation if they believed in God the Father.
When?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
When what?
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 01:57 pm
momma angel:
Quote:
In other words, they get a free pass if they did good deeds; if their heart was in the right place.

So this shows there has been a time when you could work your way into heaven, it also shows god once played favorites by taking only the jews, this could also take a point for catholics with purgatory
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:07 pm
First of all, that is not a statement I made. I'm not sure you are saying it is but that is the way it appears to be.

And I said nothing of working your way into heaven. What I said was those that were born before Christ had to believe in God the Father to be saved.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:12 pm
whoa so sorry that was a typo! when i backspaced i earased the persons name tycoon, and when i went back i saw your name and i have dislexia so i must have turned it around my deepest apollogies!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:22 pm
That's ok, EpiNirvana. That's why I said I wasn't sure you meant it that way. No problem.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:53 pm
Momma wrote:
What I said was those that were born before Christ had to believe in God the Father to be saved.

But most people of the world never heard of the Biblical God.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:37 pm
Do you mean then or today? First of all, what makes you think the whole earth was populated at that time? I need to find the link again that I found on this particular issue (the earth's population). I'll post it as soon as I find it.

If you are talking about today (which I don't think you are) the Bible says that the Word of God will be preached to every man on the earth.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:15 pm
Scott777ab wrote:

What you want to be sure of is that when you die your stand blameless before God without spot.

The only way to do this is to accept the death of Christ as your scapegoat. Which was freely done, and freely may you recieve if you just believe.

This is basically the only answer you will ever get. By believing hard enough.

#1. Believe there is a need to stand blameless before God. Believe you are sinful - God can not accept you in your present state.

#2. Believe that by believing in Christ, and believing he can actually be a scapegoat for the sins you believe you have and you believe God can not accept, .....by believing in Christ you can be washed clean and acceptable to God - hence a passport to Heaven.

God is sometimes cheap about these Passports to Heaven. Some sects even have Exact Numbers of how many can go to heaven. Better sign up quick!!

Believe.
Make the wish on the star...for something who knows who you are...

The weirdest part of it to me is this:
If the entire story were true. Jesus did die to save me. God needs that sacrifice of a pure soul. (Sounds kind of sick to me. How is it good to kill off a pure one?)
okay, anyways....IF it were all true....

Believing or not in Jesus, it would make no difference. It would be a fact that he died, he cleaned our sins.
Even people like me.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:36 pm
neologist wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Muslim1,

When?
Momma Angel wrote:
When what?
When would they have had to believe? Would it have been necessary to in order qualify for resurrection, or could they be taught after being resurrected? As far as belief is concerned. Would that be the only thing necessary? As I recall, the demons reportedly believe.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:40 pm
yea thats true! Demons havent done anything worse than the Jews, jews built idols and stole and rebled against god! Demon rebeled against god too, but they believe in god....
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:42 pm
Who are these demons?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:46 pm
Okay, first off, Jesus was not a scapegoat. I really don't like that word at all.

Neo, you know as well as I do that they had to believe in God and follow His laws.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:52 pm
Well scapegoat or sarifically lamb, they are just using the same terminology the jews used for sacrifices....

and quick honest question: Would god forgive Satan id he asked to be forgiven? The bible mentions an impardianable sin, but it also says salvation to anyone who believes? i find the perplexing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:58 pm
flushd wrote:
Who are these demons?
Sorry. It's one of those bible terms. You'd have to read it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 12:01 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Okay, first off, Jesus was not a scapegoat. I really don't like that word at all.

Neo, you know as well as I do that they had to believe in God and follow His laws.
Where I'm trying to understand you is are you saying that those who never knew God will first be resurrected, then taught, and then judged according to their deeds?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 12:40 am
No Neo, that's not what I mean. If they believe in God and follow His ways (I'm talking about the people in the OT) then they will be saved. That is how I understand it. If you have a different understanding I'd really be interested in hearing it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:35 am
Momma Angel wrote:
No Neo, that's not what I mean. If they believe in God and follow His ways (I'm talking about the people in the OT) then they will be saved. That is how I understand it. If you have a different understanding I'd really be interested in hearing it.
So those people in the OT times (or any times) who died not knowing about God: What about them?
0 Replies