Best host for a small, long-term website?

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 03:45 pm
I'm part of this volunteer organization that needs a website. I said I'd investigate options.

I would like this website to:

- Allow a .com or .org address (like, "www.mylittleorganization.com")
- Allow at least one email address (like, "[email protected]")
- Allow for photos
- Allow for fliers to be downloaded/printed by the public
- Be stable and open to growth (though not by a huge amount)
- Allow for financial transactions (buying tickets to an event, that kind of thing)
- Be free or cheap (less than $50/ year, say).

Not all of those conditions need to be met -- the more of them, though, the better.

What do you recommend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 4,099 • Replies: 32
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 03:48 pm
This is more expensive than hoped, but the domain name is available and seems pretty easy/ intuitive:

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 03:50 pm
sozobe wrote:
This is more expensive than hoped, but the domain name is available and seems pretty easy/ intuitive:

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php

I have been very happy with GoDaddy... which is inexpensive and supports all of the things you ask for. I have needed support on occasion and found them very helpful.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 03:58 pm
That does look good. I was the webmistress of the website for a previous organization (after intensive tutoring from Craven, PBUH), and I think it was GoDaddy (the site seems to be kaput now, was looking for it for that reason). I could re-learn what I'd need to learn but the more intuitive/ simple, the better. Yahoo seems good for that but is on the pricey side.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 03:59 pm
BM

(Been wondering the same thing...need a better host than the one I tried a while back)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:08 pm
Just plonking in GoDaddy's url:

http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/default.asp

dlowan, which did you try, and why do you need a better one, if I may ask...? (Knowing what to stay away from can be valuable info, too...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:20 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:21 pm
sozobe wrote:
Just plonking in GoDaddy's url:

http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/default.asp

dlowan, which did you try, and why do you need a better one, if I may ask...? (Knowing what to stay away from can be valuable info, too...)

invisionfree.com

Choice was based on replies here.....but I wanted a chat room, and there is none, and I discovered that it also cleans up threads where there have been no posts for some time!

I had partly wanted it as a depository for articles and such, to free up my puter, and to be able to share them, so that was NO good! It would be even no gooder for what I kind of have in mind now.

But I guess I got wehat I paid for...which was zilch...the support was fine, though.

Methinks one has to pay if one wishes for anything much.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:24 pm
Prolly right.

eBrown, how much work do you have to put into your GoDaddy site? I had to learn all of this code 'n' stuff and I got it and I'm sure if I see it it'll come back, but does it have to be built and maintained at the code level? Or can you just click something that says "insert picture here," that kind of thing?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:28 pm
"BlueHost" gets good reviews:

http://www.10-cheapwebhosting.com/hosts/BlueHost.php
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:30 pm
iPowerWeb looks interesting, too:

http://www.ipowerweb.com/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 04:37 pm
OK, this looks really good:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/hosting_build_website.asp?se=%2B&ci=416

Quote:
5-Page Economy Plan:
• 50 MB Disk Space
• 1 GB Bandwidth
• 1 Email Account
• 50 Email Forwards

2 months: Just $4.99/mo
12 months: Just $4.49/mo Save 10%!
24 months: Just $3.99/mo Save 20%!

Quote:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 09:02 am
GoDaddy is great; my own Daddy uses it for his engineering site. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:29 pm
Good research, Soz!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:46 pm
sozobe wrote:
Prolly right.

eBrown, how much work do you have to put into your GoDaddy site? I had to learn all of this code 'n' stuff and I got it and I'm sure if I see it it'll come back, but does it have to be built and maintained at the code level? Or can you just click something that says "insert picture here," that kind of thing?

I am a software geek. My websites need to be built and maintained at the code level since they are built from scratch with the goal of learning or just plain fun. I enjoy the "code-n-stuff".

Easy and quick has never been my goal so I can't answer this question very well.

They do provide a neat looking CMS <<excuse me while I check the name again...>> oh yeah, Joomla that looks to be a point and click way to organize content. When I saw it I made a mental note to try it out someday.

It is in their free extras even for the economy plan... look on the plan comparison chart.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:54 pm
Thanks.

What's a "CMS"?

I should probably get over my fear of code, especially if it's cheaper, and since it's a good thing to know in general. It was exhiliarating when I figured stuff out and made it work on the last site. Just, I am expecting that once I present the top few options to the board I'll be railroaded... er, urged to be in charge of the site and I want it to take as little time as possible, if so.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:13 pm
CMS stands for content management system.

If I understand the claims of Joomla, making a fairly complex website is just one level more complex than managing your profile on A2K and posting. It doesn't involve writing any code-- just clicks and typing into boxes combined with uploading any images or other content you want to display.

There are also many different levels of writing code. HTML can give you a nice static webpage and is not very complex. More complex options use other languages (e.g. Perl or PHP or Java) to generate HTML. They are much more powerful, but also more complex.

But the secret to learning to code well is see it as fun. Best to have a goal in mind and then dive in enthusiastically until you come out the other side with a working (sometimes not too well) solution... then you take a breath and look what you accomplished before diving back in to make it cooler...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:17 pm
It's fun, but it's time-consuming, and I am trying to pare down on things that take time rather than adding to my load.

Point: Learning code is not the goal, getting involved with the deaf community in Columbus is (with an eye towards both social contacts and future job opportunities -- have already gotten a few offers, but full-time). If spending a little time on a website will further either or both of those goals, great, but the less time, the better.

The "Website Tonight" thing that I quoted from GoDaddy a couple of posts back seems to be just what I'm looking for, with the only possible nay being price... is Joomla cheaper?

This one:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/hosting_build_website.asp?se=%2B&ci=416

(With the five page or maybe ten page plan.)
0 Replies

Tanpimp

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:40 pm
siteground.com is the best i've ever found. Its cheap and support has answered all of my questions in under 10 minutes when i have a problem
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 07:47 am
Have you looked at . . .
Have you looked at this "freebie"?

http://www.tripod.lycos.com/

If you wish, go to my profile here and check out our pages on that site. We've had it for several years and we're very satisfied. The domain name is paid elsewhere for $13.95/year.

The www you see below on this post is not one of our sites, but rather belongs to a friend. We're very proud of that one, too; however, it comes out of Germany.

Good luck! Smile Smile Smile Charli
[/color]
0 Replies