Why does this board always talk about Mormons?

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:44 am
You can take this as personal affront if you like, that is matter of indifference to me. It does mean, though, that you consider what you believe to be inseparable from your person. I don't know you personally, and have no opinion on the matter--it is, once again a matter of indifference to me.

It has been a long, long time since i was a student in high school. In fact, it has been decades since i screwed my ennui to the sticking point, and read the book of Mormon. I have no interest in a point by piont analysis of the tomfoolery embodied therein, and it would be pointless with someone who is already so blinded by a need to believe as to be willing to suggest that there is any valid evidence for the absurd maunderings of an hallucinating farm boy from upstate New York. You need only state that you believe that "Moroni" appeared in person before Joseph Smith to assure me of the pointlessness of discussion with you.

You contentions about "statistically more educated than [i am]" are meaningless drivel, as you patently know nothing about me. Why would i "levy" specific questions? I am not here to ask you to justify your loony belief set, because i have already come to the conclusion that it is delusion, and very likely before you were born. Twelve million people? That's a lot of deluded people on first examination, but apart from having no reason to accept a contention from you that there are twelve million self-deluded believers in absolutely every jot and tittle of what you believe, that remains an example of the argumentum ad numerum fallacy. As Anatole France said: "That fifty million people believe a wrong thing, it is still a wrong thing." Additionally, that is less than one percent of the global population--not very important at all from that perspective. The final contention, to the effect that the more educated one is, the more likely they would be to adhere to LDS is so far into the realm of fantasy that it would be laughable, were it not so pathetic. The Jews, as one prominent example, would be unlike to swallow your contention that LDS is the only religion with a strong correlation between education and "religiousness." The Jesuits could positively wear you out arguing against that nonsense--argumentation is a speciality with them.

You go ahead and believe whatever foolishness floats your boat--and keep in mind that no one is obliged to take you seriously for it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:52 am
mrcolj wrote:
Had joefromchicago pretended to be sincerely asking a question, we could continue the conversation.

Quite right. I have no intention of carrying on a serious conversation with you. In that respect, however, I am only reflecting your original post, mrcolj, which, with its unsubstantiated and frankly ludicrous suggestion that the members of this board are always talking about Mormonism, was certainly not meant to be taken seriously either.
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:43 pm
Setanta wrote:
You can take this as personal affront if you like, that is matter of indifference to me... I don't know you personally, and have no opinion on the matter--it is, once again a matter of indifference to me... I have no interest in a point by piont analysis of the tomfoolery embodied therein, and it would be pointless... You need only state that you believe... to assure me of the pointlessness of discussion with you.
joefromchicago wrote:
I have no intention of carrying on a serious conversation with you...

So the million dollar question is, if it's so pointless to talk to me, if you're so indifferent about talking to me, if it's tomfoolery embodied to hear anything I have to say, why are you talking to me and hearing what I have to say?

(Okay, that's enough, don't respond. Anyone else have any sincere questions?)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:13 pm
dyslexia wrote:
mrcolj wrote:

Had Setanta levied specific questions, someone would take him seriously. As it stands, we assume he's a glorified high school kid with no background in religion, history, or anything else that would help in the analysis of his statements. He just makes blanket statements about how The Book of Mormon is unreliable, historically false, geographically false, and demonstrably invalid; without any backup. Well, but 12M people disagree, and as I said earlier, Mormonism is about the only religion where there is a strong and positive correlation between education and religiousness. That means, statistically, the more educated you are, the more likely you are to believe in it...

Interesting, Very Interesting.

ain't it just so
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:18 pm
I don't have a problem with Mormons. It's those g*dd@mned Unitarians you have to watch out for! They're everywhere!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:25 am
I have a serious question.

Before this topic ever appeared, whenever was there ever a topic talking about Mormons? And weren't the majority of topics about Christianity in general and/or Islam?
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 05:39 am
You crazy Mormons don't bother me, actually I had a couple of Elders round for dinner a few Mondays ago.

My best friend converted about 6 years ago and is currently serving the last 7 weeks of her 18 month mission in Greece

I'm Jewish and proud and there's not a hope of me ever being anything elseall my mormon friends know that and have promised to stop trying to save my soul! (much to my amusement). I have seen plenty of Mormon bashing going on although not on here (but then I've not been around for very long), bur there does seem to be a huge amount of misconceptions about Mormon beliefs.....I don't really understand why

nice to see some LDS folks on here!

ffy
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:14 am
Very few are on LSD here...

but plenty are on DSL...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
... and DSL mades LSD hallucinations and flashbacks much faster!
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:57 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Before this topic ever appeared, whenever was there ever a topic talking about Mormons? And weren't the majority of topics about Christianity in general and/or Islam?

Yes, I wasn't arguing that Mormonism was a hotter topic than Islam, simply that the word appeared often and it was often couched in some pretty interesting misconceptions I didn't expect in such intelligent circles. That's why my initial question wasn't about whether it appeared often (which we decided it statistically does not), but what the demographic of this board was that so many people would believe some of the things on there.

So, if you simply search by Mormon, you'll see the following recent posts (excluding the ones from this topic):
  • good quote from What's Up Tiger Lily?
  • An interesting topic discussing whether religions have an explanation on the need for angels, but written supposing that all the religions listed perceive angels as a different species from human, which isn't true and I think invalidates the original question.
  • "Maybe I could become Mormon and invite you all to my circle of big love." Of course based on the false notion that there are Mormon polygamists. (There are a lot of those posts--not just referring to the HBO series, but always implying that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints secretly practices polygamy, or that Mormon leaders secretly have mistresses galore as somehow evidenced by the the same circular argument.)
  • One more of the obligatory joke that the word Mormon has one too many 'm's. (There are a lot of this joke if you search.)
  • Of course a million jokes one upping each other about how annoying missionaries are, including one in the last week about how missionaries are secretly just "recruiting more wives."
  • Joke, presumably polygamy based, about how Mormons only marry 14 year old girls.
  • Johnny Lingo joke--again, half these jokes use specific enough vocabulary that, while half of them are obviously intelligent sarcasm, it's surprising how many people use the vocab but actually believe the hyperbole... (Johnny Lingo was a 60s short film made at BYU that retained cult status for decades and was remade and distributed by Disney last year.)
  • "Intelligent except that they believe the earth is 10,000 years old." Which of course we do not, and have one of the lower rates of believing that of any JudaeoChristian religion.
  • Something about how stupid 'necessary salvation' is, a term I've never heard before which was apparently gleaned form the wikipedia, where someone wrote that Christ only suffered for the sins of a select few. (The wikipedia is generally intentional Mormon bashing.)
  • An obligatory accusation that the church secretly owns Coke, and that's why they won't outlaw caffeine which they secretly believe is a sin.
  • Oh, if you research your genealogy on a church website, they'll steal your info and "sanctify" your family.
  • The church is stockpiling arms to secede from the union in order to legalize polygamy.
  • "Mormons own Howitzers." Okay...
  • Gay marriage
  • evolution
  • Gladys Knight is a Mormon
  • Jewel was a Mormon. Basically everyone has some kind of Mormon background, including much of hollywood and politics.
  • Zions National Park is beautiful
  • "incestuous mormon hillbillies and their private prairie bordellos"

Anyway, I'll stop there, since that goes back two months; but many of those had discussions about them, and many weren't incorrect at all. I just think a reasonable percentage of them were both serious and incorrect, and thus I made mention.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:46 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
... and DSL mades LSD hallucinations and flashbacks much faster!

You are a very bad and a very funny man.
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:17 am
I live in one of those places where they string fiber to every home, meaning for $35/mo I have a 15Mbps down and up dedicated fiber. It does anything I want.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:19 am
mrcolj wrote:
I live in one of those places where they string fiber to every home, meaning for $35/mo I have a 15Mbps down and up dedicated fiber. It does anything I want.

I hope you mean fibre optics and not fibre. The latter, is of course, good for human plumbing. Laughing
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:51 am
Do Mormons consider themselves Christians?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:29 am
I realise the first post in this thread is almost 12 monts old but I just wanted to not that this is the first thread I have seen about mormons.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 01:58 pm
I guess it would be pretty safe to say this board hasn't talked about Mormons for twelve months, so guess it's not always. hehehe Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 03:13 pm
Even the JWs get more press than the Mormons.
0 Replies