Why does this board always talk about Mormons?

nimh

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:03 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
I think they are under a biblical injunction to populate the world...or something like that.

I'm guessing you just proved mrcolj's point...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:06 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Chai you're probably wrong, may I correct you?

Oh Wait! I AM wrong....on the Big Love thread...but that hardly counts because it's just talking about a TV show with polygamious family.

ok, ok, ok....

I have a friend who married a morman guy probably 30 years ago, and she converted early in the marriage.

Whenever I call their house and he answers, I always ask if I can speak to his wife....

He always responds...."Which one?" Laughing I'll tell ya, it never gets old.

I am ready for my discipline dys, but can you send nimh or lord ellpus over to administer it?

Can you send them both?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:27 pm
Interesting - references to Hinduism turn up over twice as many times (nearly 1900 hits) on A2K than do references to Mormonism (fewer than 800 hits), Islam is mentioned nearly 13,000 times, and Christianity, at well over 27,000 hits, more than doubles that. It appears this thread's topic post is founded in error ... egregiously so.

Poor, neglected Voodoo - fewer than 500 hits ... we prolly oughta do something about that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:29 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Interesting - references to Hinduism turn up over twice as many times (nearly 1900 hits) on A2K than do references to Mormonism (fewer than 800 hits), Islam is mentioned nearly 13,000 times, and Christianity, at well over 27,000 hits, more than doubles that. It appears this thread's topic post is founded in error ... egregiously so.

Whirling Dervishes?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:40 pm
I posted a picture of whirling dervi....

Who wants to see a pic of aWhirling Dervish?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:47 pm
EmilyGreen wrote:
dlowan wrote:
I don't believe I have ever mentioned them.

Oddly, though, my best friend in early high school was deflowered, as it were, by one of their "elders" (is it? you know, the fellas who go overseas for a year or so and missionarize) at 14, which we thought was odd, really, since they were supposed not to go closer than handshake distance to a woman.

Well, I suppose she wasn't a woman, so much as a child, so perhaps that made a difference?

He went home to his nice fiancee shortly after, with nary a goodbye....we DID think of sending a photo of her with a new baby (her aunt, in whose home they were both staying, had one at about the right time) but decided his fiancee had done nothing untoward.

YUCK!!! If that's true, that's absolutely horrid.

Oh, it's true all right.

Not that I think that is typical of Mormons or anything, it has just always stuck with me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:49 pm
W Tecumseh Sherman had some things to say about Mormons , but his membership on A2K lapsed quite awhile ago.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:52 pm
In the apartments, we once had Mormons who were training for their missionary tasks. Three at a time, they revolved every three months. All, without exception were polite and they never had any incidents. What they did at home and in church, I can't say.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 06:01 pm
They still haven't convinced me the world is 10,000 years old.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 06:29 pm
Yes, Walter, Roger and I are members of the Unitarian Jihad and I have it on good authority that J_B is also a member.

So? We hope for a revolution and are thinking about it daily. The only problem we have with Mormons is their somewhat violent history.

All are welcome to join the jihad. Coffee and cookies are always available, even before the revolution.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
NickFun wrote:
They still haven't convinced me the world is 10,000 years old.

But didn't-cha know -- the Colorado River carved out the Grand Canyon in a little over 8,000 years and just in time to be discovered by the Indians, who using gunpowder brought with them from China, blasted out a bit more of the hole just to make it as realistic as possible. They were definitely in cahoots with the Mormons.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 06:49 pm
Damn Mormons.

<spits>
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:06 pm
Re: Why does this board always talk about Mormons?
mrcolj wrote:
Everytime I go on this board, I'm always a little fascinated at how every topic seems to turn into people quoting ridiculous stories about Mormonism as fact. There have been times where I'd come onto this board just to explain the truth about the neverending spawn of rumors, generally from the same people... Just search by "Mormon" today and you'll see recent discussions on secret militias within the mainstream church, wearing clothes even while bathing, and mythological views on every political topic in the news.

So what's the demographic of this board that people know so little about Mormons, but think they know so much? Are they just so east coast so they're out of touch with America? (Of course I know plenty of east coast Mormons, too including a sister at Georgetown and one at Harvard who just finished MIT...)

As background, I'm LDS, from San Francisco (Novato, Marin County) and now live in Orem, Utah. I've read the Bible and Book of Mormon many times, have a degree in Latin, and have taken a lot of Greek. While I'm working currently in SOx compliance at my college, I have current teaching credentials in Latin and in Spanish (thus a lot of iberoamerican history classes, also). My wife is from Israel and speaks Hebrew and her father was a (largely Biblical) Archaeology professor. I only say all that because, knowing this board, someone would otherwise quickly respond, "well, maybe you just don't know what really goes on in your church" or "maybe you just haven't read the Bible." Wink

So I really want to know, what is it about this board that they seem to know everything about everything, but seem so wildly off--and not just so off but so aggressively off--on Mormonism? Why do they bring it up so much?

mrcolj,

Hi. Well my sister converted to mormonism several years ago. She won't talk much about it. She's very vague and there are things she has flat out said she is "not allowed" to talk about. That alone concerns me. I don't hate mormons, but I have studied a few things about the beliefs and I don't really agree with some of them to be quite honest. However, I have a question for you. You are a mormon right? I've asked several mormons this and have yet to get an answer. So maybe you will be kind enough to try. It's a simple yes or no question really. Do the mormons believe that God is up in heaven having sex 24/7 in order to birth "spiritual babies" to be put in the "physical babies" that are being born here on earth? Just curious. Have a nice day. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 10:17 pm
Hi Hephzibah! Long time no see girl! You doing ok?

Heph, did you read somewhere that is what Mormons believe? I have never heard that. I hope you get an answer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 07:12 am
Ya gotta know how to pony
Like phoney Maroni . . .

I like the part where the whole story ends up in Central America--when it comes to sheer entertainment value, the Book of Mormon beats the New Testament hands down.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 07:38 am
I was thinking the thread author put in an extra "m." Have there been discussions on Mormons and the LDS Church that I've missed?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 08:14 am
Simply because there is no evidence that Mormons are regularly reviled here is no good reason to absolve us of our responsibilities. If Mormons are getting a free ride, this must end ! ! !

A couple of Mormons came to the door the other day, and of course, the dogs went crazy as soon as they walked up on the porch. Damned inconsiderate Mormons--i was taking a nap ! ! !
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 08:18 am
I worship caffeine. The force fields around the LDS camps keep me at least 150 feet away.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 08:47 am
Well, mrcolj, it's time for you to step up to the plate and make a defense of your beliefs. If you're as well educated as you say you are, it should be a snap.
0 Replies

mrcolj

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:33 am
Okay, if the main flaw in my logic was that I didn't expect the number of people who would take "always" and "every" literally, I'm doing okay. No, I'm not arguing that 100% of the topics on this board, including Craven's inestimable SEO mod, secretly mentions Mormons. I just find it hard to believe, but possible, that there is a statistical insignificance to the number of search results for Mormons. Of course there are more for Hindus or Muslims, or for Christianity in general, but there just seems to be also a lot that refer to Mormons, and mostly coming from a pretty agressive sarcastic slant. I'm never offended, that's not my personality, but always surprised at how fast and/or spontaneously reasonable discussions devolve into sarcasm, especially springboarding into "Mormon" legends. So again, I guess 10 out of 50,000 posts isn't statistically significant.

Quote:
Do the mormons believe that God is up in heaven having sex 24/7 in order to birth "spiritual babies" to be put in the "physical babies" that are being born here on earth? Just curious.

Of course not. And I am not being paranoid here when I say I rarely believe questions like that come from just being curious. Smile Nevertheless, as with most religions of any sort we believe that we are all children of our Heavenly Father. We believe very literally that God has a body, and that families are an organizational structure that exists in the afterlife. People who distort beliefs for gain love to insist that logically we therefore must believe God has sex and women are pregnant and whatever, but those accusations aren't based on any exclusively Mormon ideas.

Quote:
I worship caffeine. The force fields around the LDS camps keep me at least 150 feet away.

And Drew, the caffeine thing isn't doctrine either. I had a Red Bull last friday. I'm honestly not sure if my aversion to such things isn't more a function of my Northern Californian upbringing than my Mormon one. Mormons don't drink coffee or non-herbal tea (or alcohol or whatever), but anything beyond that is speculation again. My parents drank decaff every morning, and my grandparents drank whatever that stuff was called--Postum, etc. My wife's family wouldn't even cook with wine.
0 Replies