What Is Morality?

Chumly

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:57 pm
Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question. It's not meant in a fancy way nor from an idealized cosmological perspective:

If my individual actions are biased towards maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) isn't that the height of morality?

For example if one does not support the space program and thus man is more likely to stay wholly dependant on this earth for our entire future that's immoral due to increased risks from dangerous solar activity, meteor impact, geological catastrophe, unrecoverable man made ecological damage, etc.

For example if we accept that the population is much too extreme (as I do) and thus I support Population Connection that is moral. If one is aware of the population problems, but has kids anyway, that's immoral.

For example if one does not support reduction of man made pollutants and the return to a balanced global ecosystem, that's immoral due to increased risks that man will not survive, and/or will not have the enjoyment/satisfaction from having natural freedoms, and as per our moral responsibility to the global ecosystem.

I would argue that all actions (human and animal, natural and artificial) can be seen through this survivalist perspective as being moral, immoral or neutral.

You views on my post and/or your views on what constitutes morality are welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,515 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 05:10 pm
Not to support the space program is immoral? By producing an alternative to life on Earth, you might actually be encouraging destruction of the ecosystem. After all, once you no longer are dependent upon your lifeboat, why not just cast it adrift or sink it. That would be moral?

Far more danger is contained in your argument that the human population is too great. So it is a moral thing to work for population control. Family planning, Birth control pills, abortion, etc. are all morally good because they reduce the birthrate? Is China, the only nation seriously working to reduce birth rates, a moral state whose policies should be adopted everywhere?

China's government recognized a long time ago that its population was growing so fast that it would outstrip agricultural production. In order to feed the population, all efforts would have to be centered on food and the nation would slip inevitably into backward disorder. China adopted a very strict policy limiting human births. No one is permitted to have an unauthorized child, and no family is permitted more than two children. Family Planning and birth control are an essential part of the government's domestic policy, and its taken seriously. Sounds like they are doing the moral thing, right?

Well, maybe. Women are under constant surveillance to prevent them from having illegal children. If the mandatory monthly pregnancy test is positive, there is mandatory abortion. A couple of slips, and forced sterilization is required. Drastic measures, but morally necessary to prevent an almost certain famine in the future. Still there are a lot of flies in the ointment. Female infanticide has increased dramatically so that more boy's (a Chinese cultural preference) are born., More males in cohorts since institution of the policy, will have a number of extreme outcomes. More boys are born because the Chinese, especially in the countryside have found ways around the official policies. A bribe here, and favor returned there and a loophole can be found. This, of course, reduces the legitimacy and "moral righteousness" of the Communist Party and its discipline.

Though prejudices against homosexuality have always been a fixture of Chinese culture, it will probably increase over the next 20 years as it becomes more difficult to find any female sex partners. This, and rapid urbanization, will further erode the traditional Chinese culture that has worked reasonably well for over 4 thousand years. Is it more moral to murder a culture thousands of years old, than to kill a girl baby? Bit of a moral problem that. Is it a "good thing" to have 50 million sexually frustrated young men armed with fine modern military equipment sitting around wondering what to do with themselves?

Second, one could increase the mortality rate. This could be done in a number of ways. First, of course would be to stop using medical science to prolong life, or to prevent disease. Take death preventing drugs off of the market, and deny medical care to anyone not deemed important to the world. Who gets to decide, and would they be models of morality? Famine should be regarded as an important natural control mechanism, and to tinker with it would be extremely immoral. "Ethnic Cleansing" is doing a "good thing" by reducing populations in competition for limited resources. Pol Pot should be reinvented as a savior Saint in S.E. Asia for his invention of the Killing Fields. If China is unable to lower its birth rates sufficiently, and refused to adopt policies to immediately reduce its population by 50+ million people, wouldn't it be a moral thing to wage nuclear war against Chinese population centers?

Finally, how really really certain are we that the human population is truly a current danger to the survival of our species? Somewhere I once read that if you gathered every human being alive today in one place, you wouldn't fill up even half of Texas. The problem might be not in population size, but in its distribution. Perhaps the large families so sought after by our ancestors will someday again be important to our survival. By reducing populations (of humans and other living things) we may be putting ourselves into a genetic trap that is unable to adapt and survive changing environments.

My point, Chumly, is that things aren't so simple and easily defined as your post seems to suggest. Far better, as I've said before, to concentrate our efforts on improving ourselves before worrying about the fate of the world. By improving ourselves, we do improve the world ... just at a slower rate of change. And, what is it to improve the world? That isn't easy to answer either. The best I can offer is contained in my oft repeated rule: Conquer, or at least mitigate suffering.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 05:22 pm
Chum-

You are a pessimist as well as a scientist.

We will survive but perhaps we won't have tart's knickers curtains on the windows and 4x4s and a decked yard but we will survive. At least while the Sun lasts which I gather is 4.5 billion years or maybe it was 4.5 million years off. Is there a difference?

You seem to be claiming that your way of life is the only possible way.

If there was a flat out nuking exchange and the earth was intensly radioactive doesn't Darwinism suggest that there will be mutations which can not only tolerate such conditions but thrive in them even if their eyes do glow in the dark and they have ten fingers on each hand and can play Rachmaninov on their own. Wouldn't they be selected in by the usual method?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 05:40 pm
Re: What Is Morality?
Chumly wrote:
Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question. It's not meant in a fancy way nor from an idealized cosmological perspective:

If my individual actions are biased towards maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) isn't that the height of morality?

I have some definite ideas about that, but let's find out how far you are willing to take your "morality."

Suppose it is determined that the best way to maximize the long-term survival of the species is to eliminate genetic diseases. The only way to do that, however, is to identify those persons who are carrier of those diseases and prevent them from reproducing. Many of those carriers, of course, are understandably reluctant to refrain from procreating voluntarily. Would a program of forcible sterilizations of these carriers be moral?

Chumly wrote:
I would argue that all actions (human and animal, natural and artificial) can be seen through this survivalist perspective as being moral, immoral or neutral.

I'm not sure what "artificial actions" are, but are you saying that all actions are moral or immoral when measured against the yardstick of human survival? The human immunodeficiency virus, for example, certainly is a threat to the human species when it causes AIDS. Are you suggesting that HIV, when it replicates in the human body, is acting immorally? Suppose a meteor, large enough to destroy the human race if it collided with the earth, is headed for our planet. Are you saying that the meteor is acting immorally?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 05:46 pm
I bloody would.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 07:50 pm
Thanks very much for the replies.

Joe, as to the (euphemistically monikered) immoral meteor et al; from the perspective of the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question, the results of the meteor's destruction would be immoral to the degree by which it interfered with the survivalist premise.

Joe, as to the forcible sterilizations; only in hindsight would you be able to confirm as to its degree of morality or lack thereof. Suffice it to say that 500 years later, if it could be shown that the actions in question (forcible sterilizations) resulted in a quantifiable merited difference in maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) in question then yes to forcible sterilizations.

Joe, no I am not "saying that all actions are moral or immoral when measured against the yardstick of human survival" What I said was "all actions (human and animal, natural and artificial) can be seen through this survivalist perspective as being moral, immoral or neutral" which is a different kettle of fish by a large margin, "artificial" means of man not nature. Do you need amplification on this point as per "all actions…….?

Ash, no I did not say not supporting the space program is immoral per se, as my argument is pivotal on the presumed beneficial effects of the space program.

Ash, yes if man has an "alternative to life on Earth" he may have less regard for the earth's ecosystem, the tradeoff** being the increased morality of man's extra terrestrial survivalist premise. However I find your line of reasoning dubious for four reasons:
1) Mother earth is likely to be held dear by man unless or until man becomes something different.
2) Man is doing an abysmal job at present in terms of ecosystem preservation, thus the increased morality of man's extra terrestrial survivalist premise would not appear to be a negative contributing factor.
3) With the technologies and resources of off world colonization, man would be in an increased position to repair the damages done to Mother Earth.
4) If you are aware of the astronaut's perspective of earth as "space ship earth" you will know what distance-objectivity can bring to the argument and efforts or ecosystem survivability.
**Note I am not saying this is a moral tradeoff, only that it is a trade off if you are correct that man would have less regard for the earth's ecosystem.

Ash, yes it is a moral thing to work for population control if and only if it can be shown that the actions in question (to work for population control) resulted in a quantifiable merited difference in maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) in question. However as I said to Joe as per forcible sterilizations; only in hindsight would you be able to confirm its degree of morality versus its efficacy versus its quantifiable merited difference in maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) in question.

Ash, for example if it could shown through historical hindsight, that population reduction allowed mankind sufficient time and resources to produce the technologies to populate the closer extra-solar systems, (thus resulting in a quantifiable merited difference in maximizing the long term survival potential) and if it could also be shown that had not this population control been enabled, man would very likely never have been able to obtain these technologies, and if it could also be shown the Earth's human population would have decimated the ecosystem to the point that the future of man itself was fraught with doubt, then it could well be argued the population control in question was moral. Note I have not broached the subject of population control methodology but I will now by saying (as I said to Spendi) one would need a moral imperative of sufficient consequence to justify the destruction of the species (in this case man).

Spendi, Darwinism suggests all may not be lost post nuclear holocaust, but there is good chance man's reign would be over.

Spendi, I am not claiming my "way of life is the only possible way", however I would argue morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question. Why? Because one would need a moral imperative of sufficient consequence to justify the destruction of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question.

To all: the question inferred in my above posts, but not spelled out 'till now: at what point (if any) is the future of mankind's moral price too high? I would argue that most would pay any moral price if mankind's survival was at stake.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:06 am
Chumly wrote:
Joe, as to the (euphemistically monikered) immoral meteor et al; from the perspective of the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question, the results of the meteor's destruction would be immoral to the degree by which it interfered with the survivalist premise.

Well, I don't quite understand how results can be immoral. Typically, morality is concerned with acts, not with the results of acts. Even a pure consequentialist, for whom acts are largely judged by their results, evaluates the morality of acts, not results. Consequences that are divorced from human acts (such as the consequences of a meteor strike) are usually not even thought of as morally neutral. Rather, they are considered to be entirely non-moral.

Chumly wrote:
Joe, as to the forcible sterilizations; only in hindsight would you be able to confirm as to its degree of morality or lack thereof. Suffice it to say that 500 years later, if it could be shown that the actions in question (forcible sterilizations) resulted in a quantifiable merited difference in maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) in question then yes to forcible sterilizations.

That's a rather odd theory of morality then. Typically, morality not only judges past actions, but future actions as well. If I were to say "murder is immoral," then I am saying that the act of committing murder in the past is immoral and that the act of committing murder in the future would be immoral as well. It would be surpassing strange for a moral code to suspend judgment of an act until all of its consequences could be assessed -- especially if those consequences could not be assessed for centuries. The reason for that is obvious: people want to know now if they are acting morally or immorally. Taking a "check back with me later" approach offers little in the way of practical guidance.

Chumly wrote:
Joe, no I am not "saying that all actions are moral or immoral when measured against the yardstick of human survival" What I said was "all actions (human and animal, natural and artificial) can be seen through this survivalist perspective as being moral, immoral or neutral" which is a different kettle of fish by a large margin,

I cannot apprehend the distinction. Whether you call it a yardstick or a perspective, you are saying that all actions are judged by their contribution to human survival.

Chumly wrote:
"artificial" means of man not nature. Do you need amplification on this point as per "all actions…….?

Yes. You never answered my query about the immoral HIV. Can viruses be immoral?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:22 am
If you think it is a sin don't do it...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 01:39 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Well, I don't quite understand how results can be immoral. Typically, morality is concerned with acts, not with the results of acts. Even a pure consequentialist, for whom acts are largely judged by their results, evaluates the morality of acts, not results. Consequences that are divorced from human acts (such as the consequences of a meteor strike) are usually not even thought of as morally neutral. Rather, they are considered to be entirely non-moral.
I supplied the term "euphemistically monikered" to try and clarify this confusion. To clarify further I do not mean an inanimate object has morality, but its effects have morality in the context of the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question, for example the results of the virus's destruction would be immoral to the degree by which it interfered with the survivalist premise.

Remember Joe, I stated my definition of morality in this context, right at the very beginning as per: "Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question."

joefromchicago wrote:
That's a rather odd theory of morality then. Typically, morality not only judges past actions, but future actions as well. If I were to say "murder is immoral," then I am saying that the act of committing murder in the past is immoral and that the act of committing murder in the future would be immoral as well. It would be surpassing strange for a moral code to suspend judgment of an act until all of its consequences could be assessed -- especially if those consequences could not be assessed for centuries. The reason for that is obvious: people want to know now if they are acting morally or immorally. Taking a "check back with me later" approach offers little in the way of practical guidance.
Firstly for the scenario you provided it's the only way to be able to assess the morality of forcible sterilizations versus the quantifiable merited difference in maximizing the long term survival of the species. IOW if you cannot know the results of forcible sterilizations you cannot assess its morality from the perspective of maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) in question.

Secondly I would argue that the morals of survival (as I have outlined them) are very real indeed and not at all odd. Please also review my ongoing text to Ash as per the morality of the space program and the morality of man's extra terrestrial survivalist premise etc.

Please also review my initial post as per:
- space program
- Population Connection
- having children
- man made pollutants
- returning to a balanced global ecosystem

Thirdly it's simply impossible for people to expect a sense of morality in circumstances beyond which adequate information is available. Understand Joe I am not saying population control falls into this inadequate information category. In fact you provided the specific (perhaps extreme) sterilization scenario not me. I said something quite different "For example if we accept that the population is much too extreme (as I do) and thus I support Population Connection that is moral. If one is aware of the population problems, but has kids anyway, that's immoral."

Fourthly you are incorrect that I take a "check back with me later" approach per se, if by that you mean I aver this to be my modus operandi, please take the time to read what I said, not simply your specific (perhaps extreme) sterilization scenario and my specific responses. Joe, you would be incorrect to make a generalization from a specific.
joefromchicago wrote:
I cannot apprehend the distinction. Whether you call it a yardstick or a perspective, you are saying that all actions are judged by their contribution to human survival.
Nope, again that is not what I am saying, you are overlooking the neutral aspect (for one thing). Many considerations simply fall outside the umbrella of maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question. Further the question: "at what point (if any) is the future of mankind's moral price too high?" gives a possible fourth answer of "price too high". Thus we have: moral, immoral, neutral, price too high. I did say however, that "most would pay any moral price if mankind's survival was at stake".
joefromchicago wrote:
Yes. You never answered my query about the immoral HIV. Can viruses be immoral?
As I said earlier as per "the (euphemistically monikered) immoral meteor et al" a virus's effects can be moral, immoral, neutral from the perspective of the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question, for example the results of the virus's destruction would be immoral to the degree by which it interfered with the survivalist premise. A virus in an of itself does not fall under the umbrella of the survivalist premise.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 08:05 am
I've thought along very similar lines before when I was really trying to package this concept of morality up and avoid it's supposed direct links to religion by describing it as something basic and instinctual. It needs intentionality though, as I see it, viewing the effects of a meteor as immoral don't seem to get us anywhere. I think Asherman described your description as being a little too fancy merely because it was too far reaching, any one individual wants to know that their actions are immoral based on more personal, private, unique and specific reasons that relate to their lives, not the lives of the other 6 billion on this planet.

If everyone were to "tend to their own gardens" we might hope to see a knock on effect that was in fact globally reaching, but this would be a by product rather than an immediate goal. It's kind of like your description of morality is one that would appeal to someone or something looking inwards to humanity from afar because it describes a collective effort, but not so much to the people or individuals within the system of question, Earth. I hope I haven't repeated too much of what has been said there but yes I can see where you're coming from Chumly.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 08:28 am
I've always thought of morality as the tool one uses to navigate safely through the mental realm of existence without falling into the many pitfalls like guilt, jealousy, greed, fear and so on.
It is something that is meant to sthrengthen mental health in an environment that is very destructive to it at times.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:51 am
Ashers wrote:
I've thought along very similar lines before when I was really trying to package this concept of morality up and avoid it's supposed direct links to religion by describing it as something basic and instinctual. It needs intentionality though, as I see it, viewing the effects of a meteor as immoral don't seem to get us anywhere. I think Asherman described your description as being a little too fancy merely because it was too far reaching, any one individual wants to know that their actions are immoral based on more personal, private, unique and specific reasons that relate to their lives, not the lives of the other 6 billion on this planet.

If everyone were to "tend to their own gardens" we might hope to see a knock on effect that was in fact globally reaching, but this would be a by product rather than an immediate goal. It's kind of like your description of morality is one that would appeal to someone or something looking inwards to humanity from afar because it describes a collective effort, but not so much to the people or individuals within the system of question, Earth. I hope I haven't repeated too much of what has been said there but yes I can see where you're coming from Chumly.
That is why this brand of morality can have "moral, immoral, neutral,", however I am not convinced it can't have a somewhat more immediate individual aspect under some circumstances.

OTOH the demand for an immediate individual aspect to morality may be more characteristic of individualistic expectations, than to making a long term difference.

After all, what morality is there is if you were simply good to those around you but decimated vast tracts of land to raise cattle, had numerous children, and thought the space program was a waste of time, thus did nothing to help a safer better future for man and/or ecosystem and in fact jeopardized it. That's clearly highly immoral by the survivalist lexicon and wholly counters Asherman's dangerously myopic viewpoints as per "tend to their own gardens".

Ashers, there is no such thing as the trickledown effect from the premise of Ashermans's "tend to their own gardens" pretext as it relates to survivalist morality.

Further it's well recognized that the brand of morality that falls under the immediate individual aspect is rife with cultural, religious, personal, and legal subjectivity etc., and the survivalist brand of morality avoids those potential pitfalls. Example I do not think you would find the Mayan religion and culture overly moral by your standards, yet by my definition of moral, a Mayan civilization or a Buddhist civilization could both have the same long term moral goals and thus preserve and protect both man and the environment.

OTOH I do not exclude or denigrate other brands of morality per se, given that this brand (like arguably any other brand of morally) has a neutral aspect. I'll re-quote me to keep focus.
Chumly wrote:

For example if one does not support the space program and thus man is more likely to stay wholly dependant on this earth for our entire future that's immoral due to increased risks from dangerous solar activity, meteor impact, geological catastrophe, unrecoverable man made ecological damage, etc.

For example if we accept that the population is much too extreme (as I do) and thus I support Population Connection that is moral. If one is aware of the population problems, but has kids anyway, that's immoral.

For example if one does not support reduction of man made pollutants and the return to a balanced global ecosystem, that's immoral due to increased risks that man will not survive, and/or will not have the enjoyment/satisfaction from having natural freedoms, and as per our moral responsibility to the global ecosystem.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 10:54 am
To all posters: the reason I brought up the meteor aspect is not because I aver the meteor itself has morality (although I have discussed its effects) and Joe has erroneously (but humorously) run with this and the virus bit too. That was not my intent. My meteor morality intent was twofold:

Firstly and foremost: through the space program the meteor can be detected and arguably addressed in some fashion.

Secondarily: the moral implications of it's effects.

Let's look again at part of my first post:
Chumly wrote:
Gentle posters, you need to read what I have initially posted and not how someone else responded! My arguments are not difficult, nor unreasonable, nor removed from reality; but I note some posters appear at times to be reading into my initial post incongruent extrapolations and interpretations. Not always mind, just sometimes.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 12:07 pm
I read your post. I don't see what it has to do with morality...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 02:56 pm
Chumly wrote:
I supplied the term "euphemistically monikered" to try and clarify this confusion. To clarify further I do not mean an inanimate object has morality, but its effects have morality in the context of the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question, for example the results of the virus's destruction would be immoral to the degree by which it interfered with the survivalist premise.

Well, if results are moral or not to the extent that they either contribute to or detract from human survival, then your "morality" is nothing but another way of saying something is "desirable" or "undesirable." Right?

Chumly wrote:
Remember Joe, I stated my definition of morality in this context, right at the very beginning as per: "Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question."

Yeah, I know that you defined it. I'm just trying to figure out what the definition means.

Chumly wrote:
Firstly for the scenario you provided it's the only way to be able to assess the morality of forcible sterilizations versus the quantifiable merited difference in maximizing the long term survival of the species. IOW if you cannot know the results of forcible sterilizations you cannot assess its morality from the perspective of maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) in question.

Then what practical value does your morality have? If I cannot determine if my actions are moral or immoral until centuries after I'm dead, then what is either to encourage or deter me from acting?

Chumly wrote:
Secondly I would argue that the morals of survival (as I have outlined them) are very real indeed and not at all odd. Please also review my ongoing text to Ash as per the morality of the space program and the morality of man's extra terrestrial survivalist premise etc.

Read it. Didn't help.

Chumly wrote:
Please also review my initial post as per:
- space program
- Population Connection
- having children
- man made pollutants
- returning to a balanced global ecosystem

Read it. Didn't help either.

Chumly wrote:
Thirdly it's simply impossible for people to expect a sense of morality in circumstances beyond which adequate information is available. Understand Joe I am not saying population control falls into this inadequate information category. In fact you provided the specific (perhaps extreme) sterilization scenario not me. I said something quite different "For example if we accept that the population is much too extreme (as I do) and thus I support Population Connection that is moral. If one is aware of the population problems, but has kids anyway, that's immoral."

If your morality can't handle "extreme" scenarios, then it's not much of a system of morality.

Chumly wrote:
Fourthly you are incorrect that I take a "check back with me later" approach per se, if by that you mean I aver this to be my modus operandi, please take the time to read what I said, not simply your specific (perhaps extreme) sterilization scenario and my specific responses. Joe, you would be incorrect to make a generalization from a specific.

I'm not making generalizations. But it's clear that, in the specific instance of the forced sterilizations, your morality has a "check back with me later (much, much later)" approach. Thus, at least in one instance your morality is incapable of determining now if an action is moral, immoral, or indifferent. I know that you're much more interested in those instances where your morality can provide an instant response, but you'll forgive me if I'm much more interested in those instances where it cannot.

Chumly wrote:
Nope, again that is not what I am saying, you are overlooking the neutral aspect (for one thing). Many considerations simply fall outside the umbrella of maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question.

I have no doubt, and I take those into account. But let me see how far this "neutral aspect" goes: suppose I kill someone who has a terminal disease. It's not that I want to end that person's suffering, it's just that I don't like him and have always wanted to kill him. Since he was going to die from the disease anyway, it's difficult to argue that my killing him a bit earlier than he would have otherwise died has any significant effect on the survival of the human race. Is my action moral?

Chumly wrote:
Further the question: "at what point (if any) is the future of mankind's moral price too high?" gives a possible fourth answer of "price too high". Thus we have: moral, immoral, neutral, price too high. I did say however, that "most would pay any moral price if mankind's survival was at stake".

What is the distinction between "price too high" and "immoral?"

Chumly wrote:
As I said earlier as per "the (euphemistically monikered) immoral meteor et al" a virus's effects can be moral, immoral, neutral from the perspective of the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) in question, for example the results of the virus's destruction would be immoral to the degree by which it interfered with the survivalist premise. A virus in an of itself does not fall under the umbrella of the survivalist premise.

Why not?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:07 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Well, if results are moral or not to the extent that they either contribute to or detract from human survival, then your "morality" is nothing but another way of saying something is "desirable" or "undesirable." Right?
Joe to set the record straight as you seem unclear (on what I would have thought was axiomatic) I aver that survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question is good (moral) and the apposite is bad (immoral). Is this complex or unclear to you? Kind sire, we have been over this before, still if you wish to re-label that as "desirable" or "undesirable" that is your call, but I aver that survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question pivots on a sense of morality as per my definition.
joefromchicago wrote:
Then what practical value does your morality have? If I cannot determine if my actions are moral or immoral until centuries after I'm dead, then what is either to encourage or deter me from acting?
Of course you can, and we have been over this already. Joe, it is illogical to keep trying to make a generalization from a specific. I gave examples in my very first post** thusly:
Chumly wrote:

And to amplify further as already discussed with Ash thusly
Chumly wrote:
…….it's well recognized that the brand of morality that falls under the immediate individual aspect is rife with cultural, religious, personal, and legal subjectivity etc., and the survivalist brand of morality avoids those potential pitfalls. Example I do not think you would find the Mayan religion and culture overly moral by your standards, yet by my definition of moral, a Mayan civilization or a Buddhist civilization could both have the same long term moral goals and thus preserve and protect both man and the environment.

OTOH I do not exclude or denigrate other brands of morality per se, given that this brand (like arguably any other brand of morally) has a neutral aspect.

joefromchicago wrote:
Read it. Didn't help.
OK, what do you wish from me kind sire?
joefromchicago wrote:
Read it. Didn't help either.
OK, are you saying you have zero understanding of the immediacy and moral equation as per:
- space program?
- Population Connection?
- having children?
- man made pollutants?
- returning to a balanced global ecosystem?
Joe see the ** above.
joefromchicago wrote:
If your morality can't handle "extreme" scenarios, then it's not much of a system of morality.
Nonsense, in fact it can handle the most "extreme" scenario (that being the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question), but Joe, there is no moral system that can have assured efficacy and accuracy with inadequate data. You are in essence critiquing the inevitable due to inadequate data.
joefromchicago wrote:
I have no doubt, and I take those into account. But let me see how far this "neutral aspect" goes: suppose I kill someone who has a terminal disease. It's not that I want to end that person's suffering, it's just that I don't like him and have always wanted to kill him. Since he was going to die from the disease anyway, it's difficult to argue that my killing him a bit earlier than he would have otherwise died has any significant effect on the survival of the human race. Is my action moral?
If is does not affect the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question it's neutral. Remember however no one moral system can cover all bases, and my moral system does not conditionally either reject or accept any other moral system as you will see should you read the above Mayan civilization v. Buddhist civilization reference to Ash.
joefromchicago wrote:
What is the distinction between "price too high" and "immoral?"
Here is the difference: let's assume there comes a time when you are reasonably sure the price of man's survival is too high thus you either do nothing to help it survive or you try and stop it from surviving. In either case the price is too high. This is indeed different than something that falls outside the scope of the survivalist premise (i.e. neutral).
joefromchicago wrote:
Why not?
Why would it? Given that a virus in and of itself does not necessarily affect the survivalist premise. But when and if it did, then its effects would have an immoral impact. What's with the preoccupation with the virus? The meteor can play a similar role and it's more fun to discuss as it leverages to the morality of the space program.

I do appreciate our little chat and BTW, I see you have been keeping yourself busy with the comedy duo of spendius and real life (and supporting cast).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 09:12 pm
Chumly wrote:
Joe to set the record straight as you seem unclear (on what I would have thought was axiomatic) I aver that survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question is good (moral) and the apposite is bad (immoral). Is this complex or unclear to you?

Well, it's an example of the [url=]naturalistic fallacy[/url], so I suppose to that extent it's clear.

Chumly wrote:
Kind sire, we have been over this before, still if you wish to re-label that as "desirable" or "undesirable" that is your call, but I aver that survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question pivots on a sense of morality as per my definition.

"Pivots on a sense of morality?" What on earth does that mean?

Chumly wrote:
Of course you can, and we have been over this already. Joe, it is illogical to keep trying to make a generalization from a specific. I gave examples in my very first post** thusly:

I know you want to talk about the easy examples, but I'm not interested in them. I want to know how a person is to be either encouraged or deterred to act in the forced sterilization scenario. If the morality of his action can only be determined centuries after he is dead, then how is he to decide the moral course of action now?

Chumly wrote:
And to amplify further as already discussed with Ash thusly
Chumly wrote:
…….it's well recognized that the brand of morality that falls under the immediate individual aspect is rife with cultural, religious, personal, and legal subjectivity etc., and the survivalist brand of morality avoids those potential pitfalls. Example I do not think you would find the Mayan religion and culture overly moral by your standards, yet by my definition of moral, a Mayan civilization or a Buddhist civilization could both have the same long term moral goals and thus preserve and protect both man and the environment.

OTOH I do not exclude or denigrate other brands of morality per se, given that this brand (like arguably any other brand of morally) has a neutral aspect.

Are you saying you're a moral relativist?

Chumly wrote:
OK, what do you wish from me kind sire?

When did I get promoted to royalty?

Chumly wrote:
OK, are you saying you have zero understanding of the immediacy and moral equation as per:
- space program?
- Population Connection?
- having children?
- man made pollutants?
- returning to a balanced global ecosystem?
Joe see the ** above.

The "above" doesn't help, not when the "above" can't answer my questions regarding the forced sterilization scenario.

Chumly wrote:
Nonsense, in fact it can handle the most "extreme" scenario (that being the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question), but Joe, there is no moral system that can have assured efficacy and accuracy with inadequate data. You are in essence critiquing the inevitable due to inadequate data.

What? What is this "inevitable" to which you refer?

Chumly wrote:
If is does not affect the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question it's neutral.

So, under your system of morality, I can kill anyone with a terminal illness and my actions would not be morally blameworthy?

Chumly wrote:
Remember however no one moral system can cover all bases, and my moral system does not conditionally either reject or accept any other moral system as you will see should you read the above Mayan civilization v. Buddhist civilization reference to Ash.

What makes you think that "no moral system can cover all the bases?" Most moral systems at least attempt to do just that. Whether they succeed or not is an open question, but there is nothing that should logically prevent a moral system from covering every situation in which people act. That yours doesn't (or doesn't even attempt to) is not a common failing of all moral systems, just a unique failing of yours.

Chumly wrote:
Here is the difference: let's assume there comes a time when you are reasonably sure the price of man's survival is too high thus you either do nothing to help it survive or you try and stop it from surviving. In either case the price is too high. This is indeed different than something that falls outside the scope of the survivalist premise (i.e. neutral).

That makes no sense. If the standard of morality is the survival of the human race, then there should be nothing that would fall into your "price too high" category, for one simple reason: you are positing a morally immoral thing -- something that is both moral and immoral simultaneously. That's not an exception to the rule or some kind of tertium quid: it's just nonsense.

Chumly wrote:
Why would it? Given that a virus in and of itself does not necessarily affect the survivalist premise. But when and if it did, then its effects would have an immoral impact. What's with the preoccupation with the virus? The meteor can play a similar role and it's more fun to discuss as it leverages to the morality of the space program.

A simpler answer (and the one that I expected you to give) would have been that only humans can act morally or immorally. Would you agree with that?

Chumly wrote:
I do appreciate our little chat and BTW, I see you have been keeping yourself busy with the comedy duo of spendius and real life (and supporting cast).

I assure you that I am not engaged in these discussions with you or with real life as a means to amuse myself.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 12:30 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Well, it's an example of the [url=]naturalistic fallacy[/url], so I suppose to that extent it's clear.
That's an allegation as to it being a logical fallacy. You have yet to provide a sufficiently merited argument (or any argument for that matter) as to why the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) cannot be considered a positive moral goal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy
joefromchicago wrote:

"pivots"
A person or thing on which something depends or turns; the central or crucial factor.
"sense of morality as per my definition" thusly:
Chumly wrote:
Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question.
Joe all you would have needed to do is look up the word "pivots" and refer to the "sense of morality as per my definition" as outlined numerous times, including the first sentence of my first post. That should be extremely easy.
joefromchicago wrote:
I know you want to talk about the easy examples, but I'm not interested in them. I want to know how a person is to be either encouraged or deterred to act in the forced sterilization scenario. If the morality of his action can only be determined centuries after he is dead, then how is he to decide the moral course of action now?
Give me more information about the forced sterilization scenario. Again there is no moral system that can have assured efficacy and accuracy with inadequate data.
joefromchicago wrote:
I do not know how you mean the term specifically and in this context. You would need to define exactly how you mean it. I have said thusly:
Chumly wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
The "above" doesn't help, not when the "above" can't answer my questions regarding the forced sterilization scenario.
Ah, that's not quite what you challenged earlier, you said thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
Then what practical value does your morality have?
In fact I gave you practical values for my morality, but you trivialized them by calling them "easy examples" and further did not directly confirm I had answered your question. You simply reasserted the challenge of forced sterilization, while still not addressing my request to provide sufficient data to draw judgment. Thus again I ask: give me more information about the forced sterilization scenario. There is no moral system that can have assured efficacy and accuracy with inadequate data.
joefromchicago wrote:
What? What is this "inevitable" to which you refer?
The obvious "inevitable" in this case being that "there is no moral system that can have assured efficacy and accuracy with inadequate data". Joe you are doing the same thing you did with "pivots" and "sense of morality as per my definition". I'm sure you'll agree, argumentation for and of it's own sake is counterproductive.
joefromchicago wrote:
So, under your system of morality, I can kill anyone with a terminal illness and my actions would not be morally blameworthy?
You make an wholly unsubstantiated presupposition that a "system of morality" can be all encompassing. Something I am very dubious about indeed and of which you will have to address shortly, therefore as already discussed thusly:
Chumly wrote:
Remember however no one moral system can cover all bases, and my moral system does not conditionally either reject or accept any other moral system as you will see should you read the above Mayan civilization v. Buddhist civilization reference to Ash.
joefromchicago wrote:
What makes you think that "no moral system can cover all the bases?"
I challenge you to show me a moral system that covers all of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology.
joefromchicago wrote:
Most moral systems at least attempt to do just that.
Be that as it may "attempt" is not actuality, thus I challenge you to show me a moral system that covers all of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology.
joefromchicago wrote:
Whether they succeed or not is an open question,
You're welcome to your beliefs that it is an "open question", me I have never seen a moral system that "can cover all bases" so I'll stick to the facts unless or until demonstrated otherwise.
joefromchicago wrote:
but there is nothing that should logically prevent a moral system from covering every situation in which people act.
Ok then, I challenge you to show me your logic demonstrating that a moral system can cover every situation within the context of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology. Further why are you limiting yourself to "every situation in which people act"? If you have such a broad and consequential moral system surely it will not only cover Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology but it will cover the Earth's' Ecosystem as mine aptly does. Understand Joe that no ecosystem = no Mankind (unless of until the space program develops more fully that is).
joefromchicago wrote:
That yours doesn't (or doesn't even attempt to) is not a common failing of all moral systems, just a unique failing of yours.
Ok then, I challenge you to show that your inferred moral systems succeed within the context of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology thus making the survivalist morality "unique" in it's so-called "failing".
joefromchicago wrote:
That makes no sense. If the standard of morality is the survival of the human race, then there should be nothing that would fall into your "price too high" category, for one simple reason: you are positing a morally immoral thing -- something that is both moral and immoral simultaneously. That's not an exception to the rule or some kind of tertium quid: it's just nonsense.
Nope it's not nonsense at all, you have simply misunderstood. I wondered if you would challenge this! Had you read my entire postings, you would have witnessed the caveat which allowed the "price too high". Joe it should be quite clear that some individuals may at certain times assess (for reasons outside the survivalist morality) that the human race and/or the Earth's ecosystem would not be worth preservation. Understand I have it as an unlikely fourth option and I did not provide it under the umbrella of the survivalist morality. An example of such an individual might be the instigator of a nuclear holocaust who believes destruction of all mankind and the earth's ecosystem is moral (I suspect I could dredge up some religious fundamentalists that would fit this bill).

The below quotes should help clarify this "price too high" caveat and that is falls outside the umbrella of the survivalist morality, and in fact I have argued that "most would pay any moral price if mankind's survival was at stake".

Chumly wrote:
To all: the question inferred in my above posts, but not spelled out 'till now: at what point (if any) is the future of mankind's moral price too high? I would argue that most would pay any moral price if mankind's survival was at stake.
Chumly wrote:
Further the question: "at what point (if any) is the future of mankind's moral price too high?" gives a possible fourth answer of "price too high". Thus we have: moral, immoral, neutral, price too high. I did say however, that "most would pay any moral price if mankind's survival was at stake".
Chumly wrote:
……..let's assume there comes a time when you are reasonably sure the price of man's survival is too high thus you either do nothing to help it survive or you try and stop it from surviving. In either case the price is too high. This is indeed different than something that falls outside the scope of the survivalist premise (i.e. neutral).
Chumly wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
A simpler answer (and the one that I expected you to give) would have been that only humans can act morally or immorally. Would you agree with that?
No kind sire, I would not for the following reasons:

1) We do not know enough about the higher animals that exist on the earth today to confirm with certainty man's uniqueness in this sense.

2) We do not know anything about any possible extraterrestrial higher animals to confirm man's uniqueness in this sense.

Also remember Joe, I have successfully argued even inanimate objects can have in context moral effects, as per the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth).

Just for fun, I'll allow myself the luxury of two entertaining future extrapolations as I am an SF fan:

a) Artificial intelligence (directly or via Turing Machines). Might you be familiar with Asimov, Turing, Minsky & Kurzweill et al?

b) Organic enhanced intelligence (such as Clarke's super-chimps)

joefromchicago wrote:
I assure you that I am not engaged in these discussions with you or with real life as a means to amuse myself.
If you would like to tell me what your intentions and motivations are please do. For me it's the fun of the challenge, the structure of the dialogue, and the learning of new things. It sounds like you might have some presumed higher purpose?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 08:35 am
Chumly wrote:
That's an allegation as to it being a logical fallacy. You have yet to provide a sufficiently merited argument (or any argument for that matter) as to why the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) cannot be considered a positive moral goal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_fallacy

Well, identifying it as fallacious reasoning is an argument as to why it can't be considered a positive moral goal, or at least it cannot form the basis of a consistent theory of morality. And I apologize: in the editing process I neglected to include a link to my discussion of the naturalistic fallacy.

Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

"pivots"
A person or thing on which something depends or turns; the central or crucial factor.
"sense of morality as per my definition" thusly:
Chumly wrote:
Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question.
Joe all you would have needed to do is look up the word "pivots" and refer to the "sense of morality as per my definition" as outlined numerous times, including the first sentence of my first post. That should be extremely easy.

I know what I mean when I use the word "pivots," and I'm fairly comfortable with what the dictionary means when it uses the word "pivots," but I have no clue what you mean when you use the word "pivots."

The problem is that your initial statement:
    Kind sire, we have been over this before, still if you wish to re-label that as "desirable" or "undesirable" that is your call, but I aver that survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question pivots on a sense of morality as per my definition.
seems to suggest that the goal of survival of the species is based upon (or "pivots on") a "sense of morality. That, I contend, is the purest nonsense. If the goal of survival of the species is the good (as you have identified it), then it is the goal that must inform the "sense of morality," not the other way around. If, on the other hand, there is something out there -- the "sense of morality" -- that is independent of or superior to the goal of survival of the species, then survival of the species is not the same as "the good." Which is it?

Chumly wrote:
Give me more information about the forced sterilization scenario. Again there is no moral system that can have assured efficacy and accuracy with inadequate data.

Here's what I wrote:
    Suppose it is determined that the best way to maximize the long-term survival of the species is to eliminate genetic diseases. The only way to do that, however, is to identify those persons who are carrier of those diseases and prevent them from reproducing. Many of those carriers, of course, are understandably reluctant to refrain from procreating voluntarily. Would a program of forcible sterilizations of these carriers be moral?
What more information do you need?

Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
I do not know how you mean the term specifically and in this context. You would need to define exactly how you mean it. I have said thusly:
Chumly wrote:

If you judge Mayan or Buddhist morals by your own standards, then you are not a moral relativist. I'm just unsure if that's the case or not.

Chumly wrote:
Ah, that's not quite what you challenged earlier, you said thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
In fact I gave you practical values for my morality, but you trivialized them by calling them "easy examples" and further did not directly confirm I had answered your question.

I didn't confirm that you answered my question because you didn't answer my question (and you still haven't).

Chumly wrote:
You simply reasserted the challenge of forced sterilization, while still not addressing my request to provide sufficient data to draw judgment. Thus again I ask: give me more information about the forced sterilization scenario. There is no moral system that can have assured efficacy and accuracy with inadequate data.

Well, I'm not sure why you don't have enough information to respond to my hypothetical now when you seemed to have enough when I first presented it. But I'll be glad to provide whatever additional information you need in order to address it fully.

Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
You make an wholly unsubstantiated presupposition that a "system of morality" can be all encompassing.

Why is that "unsubstantiated?" Apart from your bare ipse dixit, what would prevent a system of morality from being universal?

Chumly wrote:
I challenge you to show me a moral system that covers all of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology.

Nothing simpler: every one of the moral systems that you listed covers all of those situations, since all claim (or, at least, I suppose they all claim -- I don't know much about witchcraft ethics) to be universal.

Chumly wrote:
You're welcome to your beliefs that it is an "open question", me I have never seen a moral system that "can cover all bases" so I'll stick to the facts unless or until demonstrated otherwise.

Are you saying that systems of morality can't be universal, or only that systems of morality so far aren't universal?

Chumly wrote:
Further why are you limiting yourself to "every situation in which people act"? If you have such a broad and consequential moral system surely it will not only cover Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology but it will cover the Earth's' Ecosystem as mine aptly does. Understand Joe that no ecosystem = no Mankind (unless of until the space program develops more fully that is).

I limit myself to "every situation in which people act" because morality is only concerned with human actions. But then maybe what we have here is a failure to communicate. What is your definition of "morality?" I'm not asking for your theory specifically, but rather your general definition of the term.

Chumly wrote:
Nope it's not nonsense at all, you have simply misunderstood. I wondered if you would challenge this! Had you read my entire postings, you would have witnessed the caveat which allowed the "price too high". Joe it should be quite clear that some individuals may at certain times assess (for reasons outside the survivalist morality) that the human race and/or the Earth's ecosystem would not be worth preservation.

If something is "outside the survivalist morality," then it is either non-moral or else it is somehow "supramoral." If the former, then it is completely nonsensical for something that is non-moral to trump morality -- that would either mean that morality is non-moral or that the non-moral thing is the goal of morality. If the latter, then that would be the goal of morality. Which is it?

Chumly wrote:
Understand I have it as an unlikely fourth option and I did not provide it under the umbrella of the survivalist morality. An example of such an individual might be the instigator of a nuclear holocaust who believes destruction of all mankind and the earth's ecosystem is moral (I suspect I could dredge up some religious fundamentalists that would fit this bill).

And, according to you, blowing up the world would be "wrong?"

Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
No kind sire, I would not for the following reasons:

1) We do not know enough about the higher animals that exist on the earth today to confirm with certainty man's uniqueness in this sense.

2) We do not know anything about any possible extraterrestrial higher animals to confirm man's uniqueness in this sense.

Also remember Joe, I have successfully argued even inanimate objects can have in context moral effects, as per the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth).

Just for fun, I'll allow myself the luxury of two entertaining future extrapolations as I am an SF fan:

a) Artificial intelligence (directly or via Turing Machines). Might you be familiar with Asimov, Turing, Minsky & Kurzweill et al?

b) Organic enhanced intelligence (such as Clarke's super-chimps)

What attribute is shared by humans, Turing machines, and super-chimps that makes them all subjects for morality?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:04 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Well, identifying it as fallacious reasoning is an argument as to why it can't be considered a positive moral goal, or at least it cannot form the basis of a consistent theory of morality. And I apologize: in the editing process I neglected to include a link to my discussion of the naturalistic fallacy.
Nope, simply claiming that you have identified it as "fallacious reasoning" without demonstrating why, is not an argument as to why it can't be considered a positive moral goal. If you intend to substantiate your argument please do, if you do not, tell me so we can move on to something else.

Again I point out that the Wikipedia link I provided earlier only asserts that the naturalistic fallacy is an alleged logical fallacy, and you have certainly made no case here whatsoever to substantiate your allegations.

Hence I renew my unanswered challenge thusly:
Chumly wrote:
You have yet to provide a sufficiently merited argument (or any argument for that matter) as to why the survival of the species (man) and/or the ecosystem (earth) cannot be considered a positive moral goal.

joefromchicago wrote:
I know what I mean when I use the word "pivots," and I'm fairly comfortable with what the dictionary means when it uses the word "pivots," but I have no clue what you mean when you use the word "pivots."
The definition of "pivots" I quoted came from the dictionary and works just fine in the context I used it.
Chumly wrote:
"pivots"
In this case, as I have already explained a number of times in a number of ways, "pivots" simply means central to.
joefromchicago wrote:
The problem is that your initial statement:
Nope the problem lies with needless argumentation of semantics. I suggest if you are unclear on my meaning you simply ask for clarification, that way you can minimize counterproductive argumentation of semantics.
joefromchicago wrote:
seems to suggest that the goal of survival of the species is based upon (or "pivots on") a "sense of morality. That, I contend, is the purest nonsense. If the goal of survival of the species is the good (as you have identified it), then it is the goal that must inform the "sense of morality," not the other way around. If, on the other hand, there is something out there -- the "sense of morality" -- that is independent of or superior to the goal of survival of the species, then survival of the species is not the same as "the good." Which is it?
Again, the definition of "pivots" I quoted came from the dictionary and works just fine in the context I used it thusly:
Chumly wrote:
"pivots"
In this case, as I have already explained a number of times in a number of ways, "pivots" simply means central to.

Again the problem lies with needless argumentation of semantics. I suggest if you are unclear on my meaning you simply ask for clarification, that way you can minimize counterproductive argumentation as per semantics.
joefromchicago wrote:

What more information do you need?
Let's start with my very first sentence of my very first post thusly:
Chumly wrote:
The problem with your scenario is your overt vagueness (i.e. lack of data as I have said numerous times). For starters:

1) You have not identified how the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question is hobbled. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

2) You have not identified by how much the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question is hobbled. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

3) You have not identified if such hobbling is statistically relevant. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

4) You have not identified what your definition of relevance is in this context. I would expect a reasonable explanation here. Is man's survival dependant on it for example? Where is the argument, logic and evidence to make this so-called determination?

5) You have not identified explicitly why the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question is hobbled. To say "genetic diseases" is again an overt vagueness. Do you mean a horribly deadly, fast spreading major early childhood killer with absolute no known cure, that definitively puts the long term survival of the species at serious risk? What exactly do you mean here, I am not uneducated in the sciences. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

6) You have not identified any measure whatsoever as to the efficacy of the determination itself. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

7) You have not identified by any measure whatsoever as to the negative results that will come from the "understandably reluctant" vis-a-vis the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question. I would expect a reasonable explanation here. For example what are the socioeconomic negatives of the reactions by the "understandably reluctant", and how do these socioeconomic negatives sourced from the reactions of the "understandably reluctant" play a part in decreasing the long term survival of the species?

8) Where is the research to demonstrate that your so-called "genetic diseases" will not have an evolutionary advantage at some future or even present point?

9) Where is the research to demonstrate that these so-called "genetic diseases" once removed from the gene pool. will not have a negative effect on the human gene pool going forward, if the time should come in which these so-called "genetic diseases" have survival value?
joefromchicago wrote:
If you judge Mayan or Buddhist morals by your own standards, then you are not a moral relativist. I'm just unsure if that's the case or not.
Are you asking if survivalist morality judges Mayan or Buddhist morals at all times in all ways? If so, we have been through this many times already as per the three states, (four if you include the also as discussed "too high" caveat) And don't start again that "too high" does not make sense under the umbrella of the survivalist morality as I never said it fit under that umbrella.
joefromchicago wrote:
I didn't confirm that you answered my question because you didn't answer my question (and you still haven't).
Untrue, I did indeed answer your first question and I am disappointed that you refuse to acknowledge it and respond in kind. Your question thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
My answer thusly:
Chumly wrote:

Again as to your claim thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
"I didn't confirm that you answered my question because you didn't answer my question (and you still haven't).
Again I say thusly:
Chumly wrote:
In fact I gave you practical values for my morality, but you trivialized them by calling them "easy examples" and further did not directly confirm I had answered your question. You simply reasserted the challenge of forced sterilization, while still not addressing my request to provide sufficient data to draw judgment. Thus again I ask: give me more information about the forced sterilization scenario. There is no moral system that can have assured efficacy and accuracy with inadequate data.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, I'm not sure why you don't have enough information to respond to my hypothetical now when you seemed to have enough when I first presented it. But I'll be glad to provide whatever additional information you need in order to address it fully.
Please see above as to what I would need to help make the right decision in the case at hand. Further please explain how you got the impression I "seemed to have enough when I first presented it" and what thought processes you used to arrive at the conclusion that I "seemed to have enough when I first presented it". I unfortunately find your reasoning here wholly oblique.
joefromchicago wrote:
Why is that "unsubstantiated?" Apart from your bare ipse dixit, what would prevent a system of morality from being universal?

I challenge you on two counts:

1) I challenge you to demonstrate to me that my text in the context of the whole represents a so-called "bare ipse dixit".

2) I challenge you to demonstrate to me a "system of morality" that is all encompassing.

joefromchicago wrote:
Nothing simpler: every one of the moral systems that you listed covers all of those situations, since all claim (or, at least, I suppose they all claim -- I don't know much about witchcraft ethics) to be universal.
You have not met my challenge in any way whatsoever I said thusly:
Chumly wrote:
You appear to be claiming that Buddhism covers Islam or that Scientology covers Mayan which is not only a highly dubious and wholly unsubstantiated claim, but is a far cry from the challenge I gave in response to your original unsubstantiated claim. Respond to my challenge as written above, but do include as a sidebar how Buddhism covers Islam and how Scientology covers Mayan.

As per my challenges written above and the ones below, given that Mayan consider human sacrifice moral, Scientologists consider "Tech" moral, Buddhism considers desiring immortality immoral, Islamic sexual morality differs from JuJuism's sexual morality etc. etc., you have the quite the substantive burden of proof to demonstrate.

Further, I note for reasons unidentified, you have skipped over a number of my important challenges I made to you. In the interests of in kind consideration, I ask that you respond to them. I understand some have a level of similarity, and if so let me know which you feel are essentially the same; for example where is your argument that simply because a moral system claims it "covers all of those situations" that in fact I should put any credence whatsoever into that claim thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
Most moral systems at least attempt to do just that.
Chumly wrote:
Be that as it may "attempt" is not actuality, thus I challenge you to show me a moral system that covers all of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology.
joefromchicago wrote:
but there is nothing that should logically prevent a moral system from covering every situation in which people act.
Chumly wrote:
Ok then, I challenge you to show me your logic demonstrating that a moral system can cover every situation within the context of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology. Further why are you limiting yourself to "every situation in which people act"? If you have such a broad and consequential moral system surely it will not only cover Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology but it will cover the Earth's' Ecosystem as mine aptly does. Understand Joe that no ecosystem = no Mankind (unless of until the space program develops more fully that is).
joefromchicago wrote:
That yours doesn't (or doesn't even attempt to) is not a common failing of all moral systems, just a unique failing of yours.
Chumly wrote:
Ok then, I challenge you to show that your inferred moral systems succeed within the context of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology thus making the survivalist morality "unique" in it's so-called "failing".
joefromchicago wrote:
Are you saying that systems of morality can't be universal, or only that systems of morality so far aren't universal?
I am only saying that I have never seen a moral system that "can cover all bases" so I'll stick to the facts unless or until demonstrated otherwise.
joefromchicago wrote:
I limit myself to "every situation in which people act" because morality is only concerned with human actions. But then maybe what we have here is a failure to communicate. What is your definition of "morality?" I'm not asking for your theory specifically, but rather your general definition of the term.
Moral = that which is good by the yardstick considered apropos. I do also aver that the effects of meteors or viruses can have an impact on survivalist morality. Further in my viewpoint I would place survivalist morality above an immediate individual aspect to morality. All that said however I stand by my quotes thusly:
Chumly wrote:
Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
If something is "outside the survivalist morality," then it is either non-moral or else it is somehow "supramoral." If the former, then it is completely nonsensical for something that is non-moral to trump morality -- that would either mean that morality is non-moral or that the non-moral thing is the goal of morality. If the latter, then that would be the goal of morality. Which is it?
"Too high" is not a rule of survivalist morality, I only pointed it out as a caveat because I know the way people think/act sometimes. It does not matter how you wish to theorize it, I can guarantee you some people will act in this way. I never claimed it was reasonable, rational or logical. Joe you are making far too much of a consideration that (like it or not) does exist thusly:
Chumly wrote:
It should be quite clear that some individuals may at certain times assess (for reasons outside the survivalist morality) that the human race and/or the Earth's ecosystem would not be worth preservation. Understand I have it as an unlikely fourth option and I did not provide it under the umbrella of the survivalist morality. An example of such an individual might be the instigator of a nuclear holocaust who believes destruction of all mankind and the earth's ecosystem is moral (I suspect I could dredge up some religious fundamentalists that would fit this bill).
joefromchicago wrote:
And, according to you, blowing up the world would be "wrong?"
Let's go back again and look at my very first sentence of my very first post
Chumly wrote:
So I'll give you two scenarios one in which "blowing up the world" is wrong and one in which "blowing up the world" is good. To simplify let's leave the ecosystem out of the equation for now (not that we can't bring it back later). Note I used the term "nuclear holocaust" which has a completely different meaning than your "blowing up the world" (to me) and thus might have a different moral outcome depending on the scenario. "blowing up the world" would mean the earth was actually disintegrated. I assume you mean "nuclear holocaust"?

Wrong:
If a nuclear holocaust ruined the long term survival of our species (very likely at this very early stage of man's growth)

Right:
If a nuclear holocaust ensured the long term survival of our species (possible if we were well settled extraterrestrialy and a major earth bound threat to man's future could be eliminated by a nuclear holocaust
joefromchicago wrote:
What attribute is shared by humans, Turing machines, and super-chimps that makes them all subjects for morality?
As you know I put those references in for fun. Why? Because you made inferences that only humans can act morally or immorally. Thus I would assume you mean only humans have free will and the intelligence to act on it, and for fun I am showing you the future of free will (if you argue it exists at all) and intelligence (if you argue it exists at all) may well not be limited to just humans such that machine intelligence morality and organic enhanced intelligence morality may one day be at issue. Again I ask thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
Might you be familiar with Asimov, Turing, Minsky & Kurzweill et al?
I appreciate your input and expect a full reply in kind to all of the above. All the best and I look forward to reading your responses.

Also please address the following, I am curious thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
Chumly wrote:
If you would like to tell me what your intentions and motivations are please do. For me it's the fun of the challenge, the structure of the dialogue, and the learning of new things. It sounds like you might have some presumed higher purpose?
0 Replies