What Is Morality?

Chumly

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:46 am
thusly
Quote:
Thusly was introduced in the 19th century as an alternative to thus in sentences such as Hold it thus or He put it thus. It appears to have first been used by humorists, who may have been echoing the speech of poorly educated people straining to sound stylish. The word has subsequently gained some currency in educated usage, but it is still often regarded as incorrect. A large majority of the Usage Panel found it unacceptable in an earlier survey. In formal writing thus can still be used as in the examples above; in other styles this way, like this, and other such expressions are more natural.
Fun!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:38 am
Chumly wrote:
Nope, simply claiming that you have identified it as "fallacious reasoning" without demonstrating why, is not an argument as to why it can't be considered a positive moral goal. If you intend to substantiate your argument please do, if you do not, tell me so we can move on to something else.

Again I point out that the Wikipedia link I provided earlier only asserts that the naturalistic fallacy is an alleged logical fallacy, and you have certainly made no case here whatsoever to substantiate your allegations.

Your moral theory is based on the naturalistic fallacy because you identify "survival of the human race" with "good." Thus, all that is good is conducive to the survival of the human race, and all that is conducive to the survival of the human race is good. That's not a moral proposition, that's an empty tautology.

Chumly wrote:
Nope the problem lies with needless argumentation of semantics. I suggest if you are unclear on my meaning you simply ask for clarification, that way you can minimize counterproductive argumentation of semantics.

For an argument as semantically lax and confused as yours, it should be no surprise that most of the disagreements over it concern semantics.

Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
What more information do you need?
Let's start with my very first sentence of my very first post thusly:
Chumly wrote:
Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question.
The problem with your scenario is your overt vagueness (i.e. lack of data as I have said numerous times). For starters:

1) You have not identified how the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question is hobbled. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

In my hypothetical, the genetic diseases that I mentioned would, if left unchecked, kill millions of people.

Chumly wrote:
2) You have not identified by how much the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question is hobbled. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

In my hypothetical, the genetic diseases that I mentioned would, if left unchecked, kill millions of people.

Chumly wrote:
3) You have not identified if such hobbling is statistically relevant. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

The deaths of millions of people would be statistically relevant.

Chumly wrote:
4) You have not identified what your definition of relevance is in this context. I would expect a reasonable explanation here. Is man's survival dependant on it for example? Where is the argument, logic and evidence to make this so-called determination?

I'm not sure why I'd have to define "relevance" when my hypothetical never mentioned the word.

Chumly wrote:
5) You have not identified explicitly why the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question is hobbled. To say "genetic diseases" is again an overt vagueness. Do you mean a horribly deadly, fast spreading major early childhood killer with absolute no known cure, that definitively puts the long term survival of the species at serious risk? What exactly do you mean here, I am not uneducated in the sciences. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

Chumly wrote:
6) You have not identified any measure whatsoever as to the efficacy of the determination itself. I would expect a reasonable explanation here.

I have no idea what you're asking here. If, however, you're asking to what extent the prediction in my hypothetical is reliable, the answer is: it is 100 percent reliable.

Chumly wrote:
7) You have not identified by any measure whatsoever as to the negative results that will come from the "understandably reluctant" vis-a-vis the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question. I would expect a reasonable explanation here. For example what are the socioeconomic negatives of the reactions by the "understandably reluctant", and how do these socioeconomic negatives sourced from the reactions of the "understandably reluctant" play a part in decreasing the long term survival of the species?

You can assume that whatever negative effects there might be to any single individual will be far less than the overall positive effects to the survival of the human species.

Chumly wrote:
8) Where is the research to demonstrate that your so-called "genetic diseases" will not have an evolutionary advantage at some future or even present point?

The research is absolutely conclusive on this point. There is no room for any reasonable doubt.

Chumly wrote:
9) Where is the research to demonstrate that these so-called "genetic diseases" once removed from the gene pool. will not have a negative effect on the human gene pool going forward, if the time should come in which these so-called "genetic diseases" have survival value?

The research is absolutely conclusive on this point. There is no room for any reasonable doubt.

Chumly wrote:
Are you asking if survivalist morality judges Mayan or Buddhist morals at all times in all ways? If so, we have been through this many times already as per the three states, (four if you include the also as discussed "too high" caveat) And don't start again that "too high" does not make sense under the umbrella of the survivalist morality as I never said it fit under that umbrella.

I know you said that. That's why it makes no sense.

Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
I didn't confirm that you answered my question because you didn't answer my question (and you still haven't).
Untrue, I did indeed answer your first question and I am disappointed that you refuse to acknowledge it and respond in kind.

No, you answered some other question -- probably a question that you wanted me to ask. But, to give you another opportunity to ignore it, let me put my question to you in this fashion: How is a person to be guided in his actions if, in some situations (e.g. the forced sterilization scenario), your system of morality can offer no guidance until hundreds of years afterward?

Chumly wrote:
Please see above as to what I would need to help make the right decision in the case at hand. Further please explain how you got the impression I "seemed to have enough when I first presented it" and what thought processes you used to arrive at the conclusion that I "seemed to have enough when I first presented it". I unfortunately find your reasoning here wholly oblique.

You had enough information to say this:
    Joe, as to the forcible sterilizations; only in hindsight would you be able to confirm as to its degree of morality or lack thereof. Suffice it to say that 500 years later, if it could be shown that the actions in question (forcible sterilizations) resulted in a quantifiable merited difference in maximizing the long term survival of the species (man) in question then yes to forcible sterilizations.

Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Why is that "unsubstantiated?" Apart from your bare ipse dixit, what would prevent a system of morality from being universal?

I challenge you on two counts:

1) I challenge you to demonstrate to me that my text in the context of the whole represents a so-called "bare ipse dixit".

You have never offered anything, other than your bare "sez me," to establish that moral systems cannot be universal.

Chumly wrote:
2) I challenge you to demonstrate to me a "system of morality" that is all encompassing.

Every moral system (except, perhaps, ones that are as muddled and confused as yours) claims to be universal. If a moral system were not universal, then it would not be a moral system.

Chumly wrote:
You have not met my challenge in any way whatsoever I said thusly:
Chumly wrote:
I challenge you to show me a moral system that covers all of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology.
You appear to be claiming that Buddhism covers Islam or that Scientology covers Mayan which is not only a highly dubious and wholly unsubstantiated claim, but is a far cry from the challenge I gave in response to your original unsubstantiated claim. Respond to my challenge as written above, but do include as a sidebar how Buddhism covers Islam and how Scientology covers Mayan.

A Buddhist can judge whether the actions of a Muslim are good, bad, or indifferent, based upon Buddhist moral precepts, and the Muslim can do the same based upon Islamic moral precepts. I'm not sure why you have a problem understanding that, but let me ask: if a Buddhist cannot judge whether the actions of a Muslim are good, bad, or indifferent, based upon Buddhist moral precepts, why not?

Chumly wrote:
As per my challenges written above and the ones below, given that Mayan consider human sacrifice moral, Scientologists consider "Tech" moral, Buddhism considers desiring immortality immoral, Islamic sexual morality differs from JuJuism's sexual morality etc. etc., you have the quite the substantive burden of proof to demonstrate.

Why can't a Mayan assert that a Scientologist is acting immorally by not sacrificing to the gods?

Chumly wrote:
Further, I note for reasons unidentified, you have skipped over a number of my important challenges I made to you. In the interests of in kind consideration, I ask that you respond to them. I understand some have a level of similarity, and if so let me know which you feel are essentially the same; for example where is your argument that simply because a moral system claims it "covers all of those situations" that in fact I should put any credence whatsoever into that claim thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
Most moral systems at least attempt to do just that.
Chumly wrote:
Be that as it may "attempt" is not actuality, thus I challenge you to show me a moral system that covers all of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology.

If you're asking for a moral system that conclusively covers all of those religions and practices, such that the moral system either resolves all the contradictions inherent in those religions and practices or else supersedes them, then your question doesn't make any sense. All moral systems claim to be universal, but that's the most that they can do (excluding your own, which doesn't even do that). Whether they actually are universal is a question best left to sociologists or anthropologists, not philosophers.

Chumly wrote:
Ok then, I challenge you to show me your logic demonstrating that a moral system can cover every situation within the context of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology. Further why are you limiting yourself to "every situation in which people act"? If you have such a broad and consequential moral system surely it will not only cover Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology but it will cover the Earth's' Ecosystem as mine aptly does. Understand Joe that no ecosystem = no Mankind (unless of until the space program develops more fully that is).

Show me an ecosystem that can act morally and I will consider it.

Chumly wrote:
Ok then, I challenge you to show that your inferred moral systems succeed within the context of Mayan, Buddhism, Jujuism, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Witch Craft & Scientology thus making the survivalist morality "unique" in it's so-called "failing".

Your survivalist morality "fails" because it apparently does not even attempt to claim universality.

Chumly wrote:
I am only saying that I have never seen a moral system that "can cover all bases" so I'll stick to the facts unless or until demonstrated otherwise.

Then what you're saying is that it is empirically impossible, not that it is logically impossible. Right?

Chumly wrote:
Moral = that which is good by the yardstick considered apropos. I do also aver that the effects of meteors or viruses can have an impact on survivalist morality. Further in my viewpoint I would place survivalist morality above an immediate individual aspect to morality. All that said however I stand by my quotes thusly:
Chumly wrote:
Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question.

Well, that's about as tautological as it gets.

Chumly wrote:
"Too high" is not a rule of survivalist morality, I only pointed it out as a caveat because I know the way people think/act sometimes. It does not matter how you wish to theorize it, I can guarantee you some people will act in this way. I never claimed it was reasonable, rational or logical.

That's the first claim that you've made that I've agreed with.

Chumly wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
And, according to you, blowing up the world would be "wrong?"
Let's go back again and look at my very first sentence of my very first post
Chumly wrote:
So I'll give you two scenarios one in which "blowing up the world" is wrong and one in which "blowing up the world" is good. To simplify let's leave the ecosystem out of the equation for now (not that we can't bring it back later). Note I used the term "nuclear holocaust" which has a completely different meaning than your "blowing up the world" (to me) and thus might have a different moral outcome depending on the scenario. "blowing up the world" would mean the earth was actually disintegrated. I assume you mean "nuclear holocaust"?

By "blowing up the world" I mean whatever you meant when you first mentioned something about someone "blowing up the world."

Chumly wrote:
Wrong:
If a nuclear holocaust ruined the long term survival of our species (very likely at this very early stage of man's growth)

Right:
If a nuclear holocaust ensured the long term survival of our species (possible if we were well settled extraterrestrialy and a major earth bound threat to man's future could be eliminated by a nuclear holocaust

How would someone, with the means and desire to blow up the world, be guided to do the right thing now by this morality?

Chumly wrote:
I appreciate your input and expect a full reply in kind to all of the above. All the best and I look forward to reading your responses.

Also please address the following, I am curious thusly:
joefromchicago wrote:
I assure you that I am not engaged in these discussions with you or with real life as a means to amuse myself.
Chumly wrote:
If you would like to tell me what your intentions and motivations are please do. For me it's the fun of the challenge, the structure of the dialogue, and the learning of new things. It sounds like you might have some presumed higher purpose?

I don't have the time to respond to all of your points. You'll excuse me, then, if I do not respond to points that I consider to be tangential.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 11:40 am
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 06:08 pm
I am back, but given that you have declined to respond to some of my prior text, and further have leveraged this thread to meet a set of criteria you have as of yet not amplified on (as requested), I do wonder what might be done at this point.

Nonetheless here I am, and I hope your holidays were fun.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 09:20 am
Chumly wrote:
I am back, but given that you have declined to respond to some of my prior text, and further have leveraged this thread to meet a set of criteria you have as of yet not amplified on (as requested), I do wonder what might be done at this point.

If you are not willing to respond to the points that I raised (as you promised in your June 7 post), then I also wonder what might be done at this point.

Chumly wrote:
Nonetheless here I am, and I hope your holidays were fun.

Well, considering that you said you would "be on holidays for a few weeks" back in June, and are just now returning, I'd venture to guess that your six-month holiday was much better than mine.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
It's true, things generally work best when both parties act in a free and open manner, but do not shrug off the other's points or queries.

Without belaboring the point I present as examples a) your unsubstantiated needless critique that there is no word "irrelative" b) your needless critique of other valid word selections, c) your consistent shrugging off when I repeatedly requested the particulars of your genetic disease scenario c) other of my queries and points you deemed as not wanting to answer.

I'm not overly inclined to go back and scout out all my shrugged off points and queries in detail, so on that reciprocity basis I am pleased to move forward if you have something new to add.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:39 pm
Chumly wrote:
It's true, things generally work best when both parties act in a free and open manner, but do not shrug off the other's points or queries.

Without belaboring the point I present as examples a) your unsubstantiated needless critique that there is no word "irrelative" b) your needless critique of other valid word selections...

That wasn't in this thread. That wasn't even in this forum. You're talking about this thread. If you're still upset about that, I strongly encourage you to get over it.

Chumly wrote:
...c) your consistent shrugging off when I repeatedly requested the particulars of your genetic disease scenario...

Identify even one question of yours that I did not answer about that scenario.

Chumly wrote:
...c) other of my queries and points you deemed as not wanting to answer.

You asked about my personal motivation in participating in this thread. That's not relevant, and I chose not to answer it because it would needlessly complicate the thread. If you can choose to ask irrelevant questions, you should allow me the privilege of choosing not to answer them.

Chumly wrote:
I'm not overly inclined to go back and scout out all my shrugged off points and queries in detail, so on that reciprocity basis I am pleased to move forward if you have something new to add.

I won't have anything new to add until you address the points that I've already raised and to which you have not responded.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:43 pm
Other points aside, I have no motivation to input unless or until you expand on my repeated requests for the particulars of your genetic disease scenario.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:45 pm
Chumly wrote:
Other points aside, I have no motivation to input unless or until you expand on my repeated requests for the particulars of your genetic disease scenario.

Identify even one question of yours that I did not answer about that scenario.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:46 pm
Other points aside, if you wish to maintain the claim that you have provided all the answers to all the questions I have asked in reference to your genetic disease scenario then you do so at your expense not mine.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:14 pm
Chumly wrote:
Other points aside, if you wish to maintain the claim that you have provided all the answers to all the questions I have asked in reference to your genetic disease scenario then you do so at your expense not mine.

I have answered all of your questions. Your inability to identify even one question that I haven't answered is, I think, convincing proof of that. But don't bother replying to this post. I can't imagine how a continuation of this thread would be of any benefit to me, and it has certainly proven to be of no benefit whatsoever to you.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 05:40 pm
Further I should point out that your notion that some of my points and queries were (presumably) of a personal nature and thus exempt from amplification while your points and queries were wholly exempt from such is a questionable rationale given the nature of the topic and some of your posts.

If you perceive there to be net benefit in repeating yourself you are welcome to it, nonetheless my points stand as does all the prior text.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 12:25 am
Neither morality nor compassion possesses a "goal to maximizing the species' survival." There is no "goal" in evolution, for a goal would imply purpose which implies design or supernatural consciousness and no scientific theories can ever hold such a claim.

The tendency for certain organisms to be compassionate or to act cooperatively may increase the chance survival but this is not because the organism chooses to have the trait to survive, nor is it because the trait itself aims at the species' survival; It is because the trait in a certain condition or circumstance allows the specie to survive. Note that this does not mean that the trait "aims" at the species' survival, an organism just happened to have the trait in a certain environment.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 01:26 am
Joefromchicago,
I do appreciate your posts, even in this instance where the thread has met what might be loosely termed a rather unceremonious decline!

Ray,
Exempting the evolution pretext (which IIRC I made no explicit reference to as relating to either goals or morality - that was you my man) precisely why can't a moral value judgment be placed on the "goal to maximizing the species' survival." as amplified below?
Chumly wrote:
For example if one does not support the space program and thus man is more likely to stay wholly dependant on this earth for our entire future that's immoral due to increased risks from dangerous solar activity, meteor impact, geological catastrophe, unrecoverable man made ecological damage, etc.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 12:35 pm
Quote:
I made no explicit reference to as relating to either goals or morality

In your first post you typed:

Quote:
Morality is the goal of maximizing the long term survival of the species (or ecosystem) in question

It seems to me that you are defining morality in terms of an anthropomorphic view of evolution.

Quote:
why can't a moral value judgment be placed on the "goal to maximizing the species' survival." as amplified below?

It can be, but that would mean that the only thing that is moral is something that promotes a species' survival and I do not agree with that. There is also a discrimination toward a certain specie. There is no good reason to favour one specie of people (I'm using the word people over humans to indicate that I believe there can hypothetically be other thinking or rational specie) over another.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 12:54 pm
My quote of "long term survival of the species" is not an explicit reference to evolution, in fact evolution infers the death of species over time.

As to ecosystem survival and its link to evolution in terms of morality and the space program, read this:

(29075) 1950 DA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(29075)_1950_DA

Asteroid impact tsunami of 2880 March 16
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1046/j.1365-246X.2003.01944.x/abs/
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
Chumly,

You stated that morality is a goal, but I disagree because morality refers to an objective right and wrong.

In your space program argument, I think that you fail to realize that intentions and direct causes are big parts on whether a person's action is right or wrong morally. By your logic, if you drop a penny and by some freak accident a person slips on your penny and breaks his or her back, then the action of dropping a penny is immoral. This doesn't make sense. It is not the drop of the penny that is bad, it is the person slipping on it and breaking his or her back. You cannot be said to be at fault morally for you do not intend to break his or her back.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 04:04 pm
Ray wrote:
Chumly,

You stated that morality is a goal, but I disagree because morality refers to an objective right and wrong.

In your space program argument, I think that you fail to realize that intentions and direct causes are big parts on whether a person's action is right or wrong morally.
I looked up both the word "goal" and the word "objective" which you, (I would assume) believe are not interchangeable:

aim, object, objective, target:
the goal intended to be attained…….
http://www.wordreference.com/definition/objective

sounds pretty interchangeable to me, thus your distinction is lost on me!

I can see no reason why a given application of a given morality (I'll limit this example to supporting the space program is moral because it helps man to more likely survive) cannot be perceived as a moral goal (or a moral objective).

The "intentions" vis-a-vis the space program from my moral position are (at minimum) twofold:

1) Avoidance of the destruction of the Earth via early warning and (hopefully) intervention of objects such as (29075) 1950 DA.

2) If man can maintain an independent off-world colony his survival odds are improved.
Ray wrote:
By your logic, if you drop a penny and by some freak accident a person slips on your penny and breaks his or her back, then the action of dropping a penny is immoral. This doesn't make sense. It is not the drop of the penny that is bad, it is the person slipping on it and breaking his or her back. You cannot be said to be at fault morally for you do not intend to break his or her back.
I see no parallel between your randomized event example, and the planning (or lack thereof) for mankind's survival vis-a-vis the space program from my moral position. And yes I do suggest that if we do not act to support the space program and thus 1) and 2) have deathly negative implications, not only was there foreknowledge and thus no consequential merited argument for randomization, but that through inaction there can be immorality.

To (hopefully) illuminate things a bit, I'll provide a definition of morality applicable to my context.

Morality:
concern with the distinction between good and evil or right and wrong; right or good conduct
http://www.wordreference.com/definition/morality

I consider it good conduct that avoidance of the destruction of the Earth is good. Albeit I can provide examples where this destruction may be the lesser of two evils that's somewhat off the beaten path me thinks.*

I consider it good conduct that maintaining an independent off-world colony and thus improving survival odds is good. Albeit I can provide examples where this may not be the case and represents a greater evil that's somewhat off the beaten path me thinks.*

* examples forthcoming upon request Ray, and yes I fully understand the inevitable contradictory nature of this type of caveat, but it, like many things in life, cannot be helped. Perfection in moral code is an idealized absurdity. But that's rather a whole other can of worms and perhaps outside the immediate scope of our dialogue, but hey if you want to bring up the argument of perfect idealized moral code verus real world pragmatic moral code you're welcome to.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 08:06 am
Quote:
looked up both the word "goal" and the word "objective" which you, (I would assume) believe are not interchangeable:

aim, object, objective, target:
the goal intended to be attained…….
http://www.wordreference.com/definition/objective

sounds pretty interchangeable to me, thus your distinction is lost on me!

I can see no reason why a given application of a given morality (I'll limit this example to supporting the space program is moral because it helps man to more likely survive) cannot be perceived as a moral goal (or a moral objective).

You know how an English word can have more than one definition attached to it? The word objective can mean at least two separate things:
1. A goal
2. Non-subjective

When I stated that morality refers to an objective right or wrong, I meant that the definition of morality "is" an objective right or wrong. Thus, I disagree with your first post when you said that morality "is" a goal to maximizing a species' survival for in that case you have redefined morality for your own purposes, contrary to what it really means.

If your definition is correct, then anything that can ever be wrong is that which harms the survival chance of a specie, and anything that can ever be right is that which increases the survival chance of a specie. I disagree with that.

Quote:
I see no parallel between your randomized event example, and the planning (or lack thereof) for mankind's survival vis-a-vis the space program from my moral position. And yes I do suggest that if we do not act to support the space program and thus 1) and 2) have deathly negative implications, not only was there foreknowledge and thus no consequential merited argument for randomization, but that through inaction there can be immorality.

Think about it this way: by your logic, since the space program can potentially increases the survival chance of a specie, then anyone not involved in the sciences are acting immorally. Furthermore, if for some reason the space program happens to deplete financial support on other fields that will save humanity, then supporting the space program would be bad. How do you know you are acting morally or immorally when you do not know the result of your actions?

I have previously made a thread on the absurdity of normative ethics based on pure consequentalism:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69675&highlight=pure+consequentialism

"An event A causes an event B,
but because of [determinism],
event B will cause an event C,
event C will cause an event D,
and so on ad infinitum until time ends or significant interactions between particles end.

The argument of consequence being all that matters in determining the ethical status of an action, is false because one cannot judge whether an action A, will result in the best results as you would not only have to consider the result of B, but also the result C as a consequence of B, and so on.
"

Quote:
To (hopefully) illuminate things a bit, I'll provide a definition of morality applicable to my context.

Morality:
concern with the distinction between good and evil or right and wrong; right or good conduct
http://www.wordreference.com/definition/morality

What is missing from that definition, is the difference between "good" for a certain goal, and "good" by itself. Morality refers to the latter.

For example, I could say that studying is a good conduct for achieving a high grade. However, studying is neither right nor wrong morally, that is it is neither good nor bad.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 09:45 am
Ray

Nothing is ever good or bad when taken out of relative context. 'Good by itself', as you put it, is a fiction.
0 Replies