Rainsoft Q45 salt problem

fuss1

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 03:53 am
We've had a Rainsoft Q45 water treatment system installed for 10 years with no problems and no service calls which is good. Now every time after regeneration there is salt in the water that I have to run out at each facuet. I am going to call for Service but was just wondering ahead what this could be? I am hoping it's something simple with a valve but am concerned that due to the age they are going to try to sell me another unit for thousands of dollars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 818 • Replies: 5
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:21 pm
Re: Rainsoft Q45 salt problem
fuss1 wrote:
... I am hoping it's something simple with a valve but am concerned that due to the age they are going to try to sell me another unit for thousands of dollars.

If your Q will hold a program your problem is usually fixed by replacing the O rings on the piston and brine injector.
New drain and brine tabs are also a good idea.

If your Q is dead replacing the valve with a metered digital FLECK is neither difficult or expensive.
I have replaced many RainSoft valves with these.

HTH ~
0 Replies

fuss1

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:54 pm
Re: Rainsoft Q45 salt problem
H2O_MAN wrote:
fuss1 wrote:
... I am hoping it's something simple with a valve but am concerned that due to the age they are going to try to sell me another unit for thousands of dollars.

If your Q will hold a program your problem is usually fixed by replacing the O rings on the piston and brine injector.
New drain and brine tabs are also a good idea.

If your Q is dead replacing the valve with a metered digital FLECK is neither difficult or expensive.
I have replaced many RainSoft valves with these.

HTH ~

H20, I first have to say that I'm impressed with your service to all these folks. I've been hoping for your response all day and here it is. Thank you. The Q2 valve appears to function correctly. You had me up until you mentioned "o-rings on the piston and brine injector. In looking at the schematic there's about four o-rings on the Piston itself. and it looks like three or four on the Brin injector assembly. I'm assuming o-rings from Lowes or somewhere like that would work?

If I were to undertake (and should I if the Q2 is still functioning?) the valve replacement, what FLECK valve would you suggest?

Thanks again. I read a lot of your posts and you've helped a lot of folks.

Semper Fi...............Eric
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 09:31 pm
Hey Eric,

Thank you for the kind words.

The piston is in the center of the valve and has three O rings.
The brine injector is a straw like device that is hidden under a
brass screw cap located on the outlet side before the meter wheel.
Once you remove the cap you gently pull the injector straight up.
Warning: it is brittle and easy to break.
You will find two small O rings at the top.

You should be able to find a match for the rings at Lowes.

I prefer the 2510 SE Fleck valve - I have had zero problems with these.
Drop me an email and I will detail the DIY valve swap procedure.
0 Replies

fuss1

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 09:35 pm
I see that what you are talking about on the piston and the brine injector. You also mentioned replacing a few tabs but in looking at the schematic I don't see anything that's labeled that matches those descriptions.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 10:51 pm
Follow the Drain line up to the valve and locate the copper spring against the brass tab reaching up to the cam.
The Brine tab is identical and located just to the left of the Drain tab. It has a small black plastic line going to the Tri-Guard.
These are surrounded by a round black plastic keeper that threads into the valve with a brass washer.

The tab itself is like an inverted popsicle with a rubber paddle inside the valve.
These wear out, tear up and sometimes dry rot.
0 Replies