What do you usually eat for breakfast?

Tue 30 May, 2006 01:50 am
Help! Rolling Eyes
I have a task , which is to find out the differences between the Western and Eastern breakfast. Would you like to say something about it or give me any websites?
If you are interested in this topic, please tell us where you are from.
Thank you very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,961 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

Bohne

Tue 30 May, 2006 02:30 am
I don't know about Eastern and Western, but personally I have some yoghurt and fruit.

And I am from Germany!
0 Replies

material girl

Tue 30 May, 2006 02:55 am
Cereal.Im in the UK.
I have not yet found a cereal that keeps my tummy full till lunchtime.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 30 May, 2006 05:41 am
I am from the US. I usually eat cold cereal with milk, and an orange. If I eat breakfast in a restaurant, I might have bacon and eggs with grits, and some orange juice. If I am really hungry, I will have juice, bacon and eggs, and pancakes. I can't do that too much, or I would have to roll myself home! Laughing

What is it with these breakfast questions? Seems that there are a bunch of new folks on A2K who are very curious about breakfast!
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 30 May, 2006 05:48 am
From what Ive seen, some students from an academy in China were given this assignmemnt , my guess that it was a course on using the internet as a resource. Then the question of compare Eastern and Western breakfasts was the sample.

I must have seen at least 10 versions of this very question and I never see much interaction from the originator of the thread(which would help that persons credibility immensely)

I love fried up roadkill with some tasty Spotted owl eggs over easy, a big glass of sidewinder juice and a Kreezenhausen lightly toasted with dingleberry jam.
0 Replies

Xavia111

Sun 4 Jun, 2006 02:12 am
Thanks for your attention!
Thanks for your answers!
Iamb a Chinese,living in North China.
I usually have porridge,eggs,bread, yoghourt, etc.Sometimes I have noddles,dumpling,as well as some I can't write them down in English.
Most of Chinese will pay much attention to breakfast. We consider it as the most important meal in our daily life.
0 Replies

dadpad

Sun 4 Jun, 2006 03:25 am
what the bloody hell are grits?
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 4 Jun, 2006 05:11 am
Grits are a pretty tasteless mass of white glops. They are made from shoepeg or dent corn which is dried on tge cob like cattle feed. The corn is shelled and cracked and then soaked in woodash or lye (for that distinctively gritty flavor) then its dried and crumbled . You buy them dried and you boilem down (boiling things down is a southern expression) What youre left with is a pile of white chunks of mushy cornmeal . Now, the real secret is "how do we make this **** edible?"
Ive seen grits prepared at table with great ceremony and each individual way of eating them is sworn , by the diner, to be THE way that grits are to be enjoyed (enjoy is a stretch)

Ive seen em served and whipped up with great gobs of butter: or somefolks wil add lots of tabasco. nother way, pretty much a mid Florida thing, is to take 2 fried eggs and put them into the pile of grits and then vigorously mash and stir these two things together, the diner will then add salt and pepper and eat this pile of vile.
Ive tried grits (there is no singular form, like "a grit", its all grits)
And, I find them kind of tasteless unless I mix maple syrup into the whole thing, then it tastes like cream of wheat. Its actually pretty much like polenta, another useless piece of foodstuff.

Im sure others from the south have more technical points to tell us about the grit-eating world, but like any po folk food, (like collard greens n hamhocks) you either love em, or dont get em at all. I fall into the latter group.
My grandfather used to make grits balls for carp bait. Somedays even the carp wouldnt eat em. Imagine, the highest purpose I could think of to use grits is to catch carp, which, in itself, is one of the oddest fishing activities usully done by old Italian men who will catch tubs of carp to make Bacallah.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 5 Jun, 2006 08:02 am
Food . . . i'm prejudiced toward eating food for breakfast . . . apart from that, i'm flexible . . .
0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 5 Jun, 2006 08:15 am
farmerman wrote:
Im sure others from the south have more technical points to tell us about the grit-eating world, but like any po folk food, (like collard greens n hamhocks) you either love em, or dont get em at all. I fall into the latter group.

As do I, but my wife has 'em at least once a week. She adds sugar, which her dad deplores as effete. He simply adds salt.

<shudder>
0 Replies

Eva

Mon 5 Jun, 2006 09:33 am
I never liked grits at all until my best friend talked me into trying her cheese grits. Cheddar cheese, a bit of onion...they were VERY good!
0 Replies

Xavia111

Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:10 am
Thank you all!

In different parts of China,we have different kinds of breakfast.Usually,in the north of China, we usually have "oil stick"--in Chinese we call it "Youtiao",small dumplings,popped sesame ,steam bread,oily pancakes ,
roasted pancakes,Crispy Skin ,congee,soybean milk,porridge,eggs.
In south China, people live on rice, while people in the north mainly live on wheat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:28 am
This morning I'm cooking vidalia onions and mushrooms together, to be served with eggs over easy, peameal bacon cooked on the grill, and crusty multi-grain buns.

I'll have tea with mine. Set will eventually make himself a vat of coffee.
0 Replies

dadpad

Sun 11 Jun, 2006 07:42 am
Youtiao
deep fried wheat(?) flour dough.

http://classes.yale.edu/chns130/Dictionary/images/youtiao.gif

here is a story about shanghi and some information on breakfast.

http://www.eastgreetswesttravel.com/ChinaWindows/story_shanghai.html
0 Replies

Agent1741

Tue 22 May, 2018 04:37 am
When I was growing up & at school we used to have cereal, toast & coffee. Now way to may years later I do not have any kind of regular breakfast. I do not each much at all generally which is kind'a funny as I am 6ft 1 and pretty stocky. Typically I do not eat when I am upset & that's most of the time nowadays. I am stateside!
0 Replies