What's up with Aussie Choccy?

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 02:59 pm
Alright bunny, where are you....somebody in your hutch tried to poison Mrs. cav with a Caramello Koala bar....thank the stars she didn't eat the whole thing, said the choccy was 'gamey'...what are you doing down there, using wombat milk?? We need an explanation....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,830 • Replies: 19
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 03:09 pm
I may be able to answer since a major international chocolate company is a client.
We mine clay for use in food products and certain clays are used to keep chocolate from melting when it gets over 90 dgrees F. the types of clays are closely guarded secrets to their various recipes. High quality chocolates use specific mineral clays that are taste neutral, but others have somewhat of a chalky flavor.
Now as far as the gamey taste, Im not aware of any "off flavor" clays since this stuff is put into everything from candy to lipstick and even pudding.

Maybe it was made with real koalas, "lightly killed" fresh young koalas, as there appears to be no intended deception in the product name. Doesnt Caramello make "Crunchy Frog also?"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 03:15 pm
Just you smegging well try Haighs!!!!

Those koala smeggers are cadbury's or something, so don't you go trying to blame US!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 03:31 pm
Cadburys chocolate keeps me regular!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:27 pm
Clay in the choccy eh....hmm...I still blame the bunny
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:30 pm
I was right in the middle of a
Caramello
When I found clay!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:37 pm
Cassius?

Thud!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:37 pm
farmerman, in all seriousness, could you tell me a bit more about the clay, and how it is used in chocolate, and what sorts of chocolate? These are the sort of things you don't learn in choccy class at chefs school. The brands I use are Lindt Excellence, 70%-99%, Callebaut couverture, and Valrhona couverture.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 04:59 pm
Since I know "choccy" (or, rather, "chalkie") as a euphemism for a woman's pudendum, this thread is pretty funny to me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 05:00 pm
That is a newy to me!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 06:38 pm
HAvent heard the term pudenda in many a year. I never knew that about a chalkie.

Cav. Most brick chocolates (darks) are only molded with a little clay to keep its shape and keep it whole in the warmth.
As one makes chocolate candies , coatings etc. The commercial chocolatiers have powders that they add to the mixture so that designs or forms can be kept from melting at room temp (candy coating works) M&Ms dont use much clay at all, whereas Herhey bars have Silica listed as an ingrediant. Clay is a mixture of Calcium , Magnesium, or(and) Sodium Silica hydrates. It is mined from very rich deposits of pure stuff that is waay to lean for pottery clay.
I dont know a thing about the brands you mentioned (and wouldnt say even if I did) but Im sure there is p[robably some clay in it if it doesnt sit there and melt in a warm room.
The chocolate bars that they made for our soldiers in Iraq was about 10-% clay by weight. So you can get the idea. Its not so much that youd taste anything and clay, by its terminology , relates to a particle size, as well as a chemistry. Clay has verry tiny particles. Look up Wentworth scale in google cuz I forget the size ranges.
We mine a clay called smecktite/montmorillonite. Besides using for food, its mixed with volcanic clays called bentonite and the whole thing is lightly toasted to make clumping kitty litter. We send our product to the kitty litter plants (owned by another company) we dont make litter and food grade clays.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 06:45 pm
weeeeiiiiird.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 07:05 pm
Very interesting...must research...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:11 am
Phew! I am sooo happy that my Cadburys choccie bars melt if I take them out of the fridge!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:54 am
See, that's why I prefer a good sammich to a chocolate bar. (Not that eating a little clay ever hurt anybody...)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 08:59 am
Poodender: Taking a crap in a Belgian river
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 09:35 am
Pooh dander: the polite term for Winnie's nits.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:15 am
You know? like in the Simpsons, when the story starts with one thing , you know that some other thing is gonna come in and actually take over the story? .... neither do I.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 10:19 am
The Family Guy is much worse about that. They'll throw you a new story line with six minutes left. (Friggin' geniuses they is.)
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 13 May, 2003 12:08 pm
Like a Chinese Whisper?
0 Replies