Why Da Vinci Code Scares Fundamentalists

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:28 am
Quote:
Many seem to forget that the book and the movie are fiction. Fiction, people.

Yes, but the philosophy is real and what the fictional book says about the philosophy is that it is false, that women should have been freed by Christianity and instead they have been imprisoned by it.

Joe(God loves me more because I have a penis.)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:28 am
who be Bill?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:29 am
Setanta wrote:
You need to tell that the fundies to whom Xingu refers--there's no reason to assume that the people in this thread don't know that.

I think it does get under the bobble-thumper's skin--witness the eagerness of Bill and MOAN to comment on every twist and turn of this thread.

And, what is YOUR reason for commenting on every twist and turn of this thread?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:30 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but the philosophy is real and what the fictional book says about the philosophy is that it is false, that women should have been freed by Christianity and instead they have been imprisoned by it.

That must be other Christians. I don't know any Christian women who are imprisoned.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:33 am
Do you know any Christian women who are equal to their spouses?

Joe(um. ,,, er)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:33 am
joe(whom god loves more because of his package)Nation said.[quote] Yes, but the philosophy is real and what the fictional book says about the philosophy is that it is false, that women should have been freed by Christianity and instead they have been imprisoned by it.
[/quote]

Got a good point there judge, never gave it much thought till now DAMN YOU, its friday , now here I go thinking. Bad precedent for a weekend , specially in June.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:37 am
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(um. ,,, er)Nation

Yes, many. I could start with my wife and go on from there.......
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:37 am
Got to keep them grey cells in shape fm.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:56 am
Intrepid wrote:

Yes, but this equality is only recent and women still on average, earn less than men.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:58 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Yes, but this equality is only recent and women still on average, earn less than men.

Better late than never, I guess. Have you checked on how many CEO's are now women? Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 06:04 am
Farmerman: Sorry to make you start thinking when I know you had a big weekend of sitting around watching the wind waves on the hayfield, but that's what the Brown's book points out -- that at it's earliest, because of Christ's relationship with women -women were equal to men.

They were his most loyal followers, the Apostles weren't at the foot of the Cross after all, Mary, his mother was, and Mary, his beloved, was.

It was only after the influence of the Church Fathers in the second century AD that we see women reduced to their secondary roles- no women administering any of the scacrments- they can teach but only if no man objects- they are required to receive a man's permission to marry, to travel, to buy or sell things. Taliban stuff.

What Brown's book fictionalizes is the story that deep in the recesses of France remain this tiny band of actual descendants of both Christ's words and his blood. All the rest of the people calling themselves Christian aren't and haven't been since before Constantine had his vision. They are interlopers worshipping a philosophy of their own, and not Christ's, making.

Joe(I love to watch the wind on grass.)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 06:16 am
Intrepid wrote:
Setanta wrote:
You need to tell that the fundies to whom Xingu refers--there's no reason to assume that the people in this thread don't know that.

I think it does get under the bobble-thumper's skin--witness the eagerness of Bill and MOAN to comment on every twist and turn of this thread.

And, what is YOUR reason for commenting on every twist and turn of this thread?

In fact, i haven't . . . but i have been greatly amused to see Lash's reaction to MOAN's preaching.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 06:20 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Caroline,

If you will look in the beginning pages of the DaVinci Code the author himself tells you the book is FICTIONAL. I can't believe anyone would actually give this thing any credibility at all, especially since the author tells you it's fiction. Good grief.

And you give the bible credibility. Good grief!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 07:32 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Farmerman: Sorry to make you start thinking when I know you had a big weekend of sitting around watching the wind waves on the hayfield, but that's what the Brown's book points out -- that at it's earliest, because of Christ's relationship with women -women were equal to men.

They were his most loyal followers, the Apostles weren't at the foot of the Cross after all, Mary, his mother was, and Mary, his beloved, was.

It was only after the influence of the Church Fathers in the second century AD that we see women reduced to their secondary roles- no women administering any of the scacrments- they can teach but only if no man objects- they are required to receive a man's permission to marry, to travel, to buy or sell things. Taliban stuff.

What Brown's book fictionalizes is the story that deep in the recesses of France remain this tiny band of actual descendants of both Christ's words and his blood. All the rest of the people calling themselves Christian aren't and haven't been since before Constantine had his vision. They are interlopers worshipping a philosophy of their own, and not Christ's, making.

Joe(I love to watch the wind on grass.)Nation

You think women had 'equality' with men in 1st century Israel?

hhhhhhhheeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooo................ Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 07:40 am
Intrepid wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(um. ,,, er)Nation

Good. So in your sect the authority borne by all the men is equal to that borne by the women. Decisions on matters of faith and morality can and are decided by women and it has been that way for the past two thousand years. If not, how recently have women gained their voices in the your church?

Joe(1 Corinthians 14:33-35)Nation
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 07:49 am
Momma Angel wrote:

the Da Vinci Code is a blasphemous book.

Based on what? It is less blasphemous that YOU are. It purports that its fictional. You make wild statements and attribute them to God. Where's your evidence for all of your proclamations?

It goes against the Bible and

Where?? Prove your statement. Which parts go against the Bible? Earn some wisp of credibility!! Show the evidence.

that makes it blasphemous in the eyes of God and believers.

This is an example of her the most scurrilous offenses. She has no right or authority to make these statements, as if she's god. She doesn't speak for god and she doesn't speak for all believers and as long as she pretends she does, people will react as they do.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 07:52 am
Intrepid wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:

That must be other Christians. I don't know any Christian women who are imprisoned.

I think if heads were cool, and considered this issue only briefly, it would be crystal clear that women are commanded to be subservient in Christianity. There are reams of scripture. I would bring it, but I'm sure Trep can recall it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:07 am
Jesus commanded that women be subservient?

Joe(he did?)Nation
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:11 am
Not that I know of-- I'm referring to the huge write up we got in the NT by Paul.

Glad you made the distinction. Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:15 am
I was taught that the man is the head of the household and that the woman should be subserviant to him. Not like a slave or "Get me a beer woman!" but that he is to be the teacher of the church.

We omitted that part about "obeying" out of our vows...I also made sure that we were pronounced "husband and wife" rather than "Man and Wife".
0 Replies