Why Da Vinci Code Scares Fundamentalists

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:05 pm
blas·phe·mous
adjective

Definition:

disrespectful of sacred things: expressing or involving disrespect for God or sacred things
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:07 pm
Yep, it's blashphemous all right. :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:08 pm
Intrepid wrote:
blas·phe·mous
adjective

Definition:

disrespectful of sacred things: expressing or involving disrespect for God or sacred things

Careful, Kirk. You're starting to take this seriously.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:10 pm
What? You mean this is the humour thread?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:14 pm
Quote:
blas·phe·mous
adjective

Definition:

So is there anything wrong with that?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:32 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:
blas·phe·mous
adjective

Definition:

Only to the mind of one who's ability to differentiate truth from fiction is impaired ... something we've already established.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:33 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:
blas·phe·mous
adjective

Definition:

That is for you to decide. I only provided the dictionary definition.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:48 pm
Blasphemy is another word for censorship. Question not the holy crap. So when Jesus sh*ts what is it called?

That Jebus plotted his matyrdom is clear here:

Matthew 26:10
When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me you have not always.
12 For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.

Jebus letting his disciples that he will not be around much as she is putting balming ointment on his body. It is all a secret between him, Judas Iscariot and this woman most probably Mary Magdalene, his beloved.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:10 pm
Talk,

That's the biggest bunch of horse poopity I've ever heard. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:23 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Xingu,

Thanx for the article, but I have to agree, the Da Vinci Code is a blasphemous book. It goes against the Bible and that makes it blasphemous in the eyes of God and believers.

It will never cease to amaze me that you think you are qualified to speak for God. AND all other "believers".

YOU are blasphemous.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:57 pm
Telling someone what the Bible says is not speaking for God. The Bible makes it very clear as to what God thinks of blasphemy.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:13 pm
Maybe we should have a thread 'Why would the Da Vinci Code Impress Anyone? (It's Fiction)'

Are these the same folks that send wedding presents when the characters on a soap opera get married?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 11:21 pm
real life wrote:
Maybe we should have a thread 'Why would the Da Vinci Code Impress Anyone? (It's Fiction)'

Are these the same folks that send wedding presents when the characters on a soap opera get married?

Nah (but very funny Laughing ) ... I think they're mostly the folks who regularly send money to televangelists, more likely.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 04:01 am
The same people who take Michael Creighton seriously for his "scholarship" also are those who were impressed by Brown.Two authors whove always used some sort pf "possibly true" historical context and characters are Michener and McMurtry, (they openly and admittedly say that theyve susbstituted their own truth quite frequently).
Yet noone gives Creighton or McMurtry **** . Nobody"s throwin eggs at Micheners tombstone

Its a friggin story book with a bit of a plot
twist. Its earned the author tens of millions, and its really not that great a read. I wasnt sure that the fundamentalists actually WERE scared by it , but after reading a number of posts on this thread by the folks who lean thatway, Im reevaluating my thoughts on that point.

I actually plan to see the movie when its out on DVD. I dont see me in a theater for this one.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 04:46 am
The reason fundamentalist Christians have reason to fear the da Vinci Code is that it raises this question:

How did women's roles in Christianity become secondary?

"Then that little man in black there, he says women can't have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn't a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From God and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him."
Sojourner Truth 1851LINK

Sojourner had it right and yet another hundred years of Christian subjugation of women has occurred. They are no better than the Taliban and the Christian men know it.

Joe(Hey?! What happened here?)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 04:54 am
Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain't got nothing more to say.

0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 04:58 am
I think fudies fear it for the same reason they fear science; it shows the Bible to be in error. If there's anything a fundie can't stand is to have someone question their sacred Bible. Kind of like the Muslims and their Koran.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:02 am
I just love that speech. I think about it every time the subject of equality comes up, farmerman. Think of it, it's 1851 and this wiry little black woman is shaming a nation, shaming a religion, shaming a culture which refuses to see her as an equal, all while the nation claims to be the land of the free, the religion claims to know God's Truth and the culture sets itself forth as the world's most open to change.

She was dazzling.

Joe(she was)Nation
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:17 am
xingu wrote:
I think fudies fear it for the same reason they fear science; it shows the Bible to be in error. If there's anything a fundie can't stand is to have someone question their sacred Bible. Kind of like the Muslims and their Koran.

Many seem to forget that the book and the movie are fiction. Fiction, people. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 05:24 am
You need to tell that the fundies to whom Xingu refers--there's no reason to assume that the people in this thread don't know that.

I think it does get under the bobble-thumper's skin--witness the eagerness of Bill and MOAN to comment on every twist and turn of this thread.
0 Replies