Cement Mix?

Pitter

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 08:42 pm
If I want to make a cement mix for say building a wall with stone and I don't want to include gravel because of it's courseness what proportion of sand to cement should I use? I've heard one cement to one and a half sand from one source.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,375 • Replies: 5
No top replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 11:14 pm
The normal mix would be 1 part cement to 2 parts sand. The 1 1/2 sand mix might be a bit "rich" meaning too much cement...it gets a bit sticky and hard work with, especially with Masonry cement.

Masonry contains more lime {among other things} than plain Portland cement does, the lime helps speed the setting time, and ads a bit of waterproofing as well....which makes it more suitable for vertical uses.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 11:25 pm
1 part cement to 1 1/2 parts sand is definitely a rich mix. People don't think you can mix cement to rich. You can.

I think it can be to brittle not to mention expensive.

If you are using it for brick or block it becomes "mortar". Motar has lime. But I always forget all the cement mixes and have to look it up again. The pre-mix is crap and a waste of money.

What do tou have in mind specifically? Brick? Block? or an actual cement wall? Make sure you don't leave out the rebar if you need it.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 05:54 am
Thank you both. What I'm planning are some cement and stone walkways and garden retaining walls. I may also get ambitious and try a brick or stone driveway.
0 Replies

Jean Baptiste

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:01 pm
Waterproofing is necessary for houses but I do not think that a cement can provide that much waterproofing to a house. Waterproofing is necessary to prevent water leakage from the roofs and walls. There are many chemicals used for waterproofing purpose of houses.
roger

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:19 pm
@Jean Baptiste,
Off topic and seven years late, but otherwise okay.
0 Replies