France Loses ... ...Again

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:29 am
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2196445,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=World
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,563 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 03:04 pm
...and there was weeping and a great gnashing of teeth in the vineyards and vintneries of France.
0 Replies

SierraSong

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 04:47 pm
They're no doubt cheered by the fact of having some excellent cheeses to go with their "whine".
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 04:38 pm
It is delightful to see the mighty French come second. No bias no cheating, French judges. I love it.
It reminds me of the German cameras and how they were superior to the lowly Japanese. Not for long.
Resting on one's laurels is not recommended.
Oops, they did it again. Judges in a rematch of a 1976 blind taste test between French and Californian wines have handed the laurels to California for a second time. The French wine industry gnashes its teeth.
At the rematch of the "Judgement of Paris," California wines once again defeated the French.
Thirty years ago, nine French wine experts shocked the world -- and themselves -- when they ranked certain California wines above their French counterparts in a blind taste test that came to be called, notoriously, "The Judgment of Paris." The French defended their belles dames at the time by sniping that the young west-coast wines wouldn't age well. "Our wines will improve with time," they sniffed. So the Briton who organized the Paris contest mounted a thirtieth-anniversary re-enactment on Wednesday in London and California, to see how time had treated the wines. Results? In brief: California smacks down France -- again!
"I'm very impressed," said Christian Vannequé, a French judge who was at the original contest, as well as the tasting in California. "I don't know if I will be able to go back to France. After a second time, they will kill me."
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,418067,00.html
0 Replies