Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:36 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,090 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:15 pm
Bummer. Don't know about anyone else but I, for one, don't like digital cameras. have two of them lying in my desk drawer. Never use 'em. Even a piece of junk like a Kodak disposable is preferable for me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:20 pm
Hey Merry, can ya send me one of the spares? :-D

I like my plain old 35 MM (a Canon) and will probably get a lot more use out of it yet, but am looking forward to getting a digital to use in addition, sometime.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:33 pm
I dread the day you can no longer buy a roll of film.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 04:52 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Bummer. Don't know about anyone else but I, for one, don't like digital cameras. have two of them lying in my desk drawer. Never use 'em. Even a piece of junk like a Kodak disposable is preferable for me.

Send one to me Merry. I could use one.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:22 pm
Is this the Merry-Andrew-is-giving-digital-cameras-away thread? Razz
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:29 pm
I surely do hope so!! <batting eyelashes>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:32 pm
Who could refuse anything to a beautiful woman like that...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 02:59 am
To quote Donald Trump (I think): What's in it for me?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:26 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
bobsmythhawk wrote:
I dread the day you can no longer buy a roll of film.

Can both of you guys tell me why you feel that way?

Do you feel the technology is not equal to a film camera yet? Poorer quality? More complicated, or what?

I just bought my 1st digital camera (Canon PowerShot S2 IS) last November and I admit I love it.

One of the reasons I like digital is because of the immediacy of the technology. I can take a photo, take a look at it right away, or in a very short time, I can see it on the computer. Or, if I was so inclined, could print out high quality pics on a printer.

I also like digital as it makes powerful technology like photo editing software available to play around with your just-taken images.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:38 pm
Dunno about Bob, but in my case, at least, it's because I'm a dinosaur and a Luddite, Reyn. I'm not all that technologically savvy and the whole thing is just too damned complex for me. My printer's not that top=shelf that I could get a high quality print from it. I like pictures printed on nice glossy stock and prefer to keep them in albums rather than in an electronic file. But that's just me.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 09:54 pm
Its inevitable, really - just as the optical disk has replaced the vinyl disk in the general consumer market, and has all but replaced magnetic tape as a conumer medium, digital photography is "the next wave", and is unstoppable. Enthusiasts still love, collect, and play vinyl disks, great equipment is made for the purpose, and new material (not much, but some) is constantly being released on vinyl - always will be. Film photogtaphy isn't going away, but the general market has abandoned it; the economics simply don't justify supporting it any more. Pros will continue to use film, and large format film photography (film much bigger than 35mm) will be around a long, long time. In the general consumer world, disposable film cameras likely will be around a good long while, too, but the consumer 35mm snapshot camera, even the more sophisticated 35mm enthusiast/pro-am cameras, are rapidly becoming things of the past.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 10:05 pm
Thanks Andrew and Timber for your replies.

Seems like just yesterday folks were playing those 78s, eh? Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2006 11:43 pm
78's? You're older than I thought Reyn. 45's maybe...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 05:43 am
NickFun wrote:
78's? You're older than I thought Reyn. 45's maybe...

I'm so old I never got into the 45 craze. Had a few, but -- then again -- too few to mention (with apologies to Anka and Sinatra). Went straight from 78s to 33 1/3rds. Still have a library of vinyl along with the newer (and smaller) collection of CDs. Some casettes. And am I the only person left in the world who still plays some 8-track tapes from time to time? Yes, I still have 8-track equipment that works!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 08:00 am
No, I'm 55, but I can clearly remember them. Nothing wrong with the ole brain cells....yet.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:21 am
My 1968 Nikon F has never given me a wrong meter reading (no meter). Luckily I don't have to tax my memory cells for the year. The first two numbers of the serial number are 68, the year it was manufactured. Yes, it still works fine.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:09 pm
So, Bob, are you just opposed to digital, or you're just happy enough with your current camera? In other words, it's old, but works just fine?

With us, we didn't really have a really decent camera to begin with. We had a 110, I believe. So buying the Canon digital model was not a matter of losing some other camera we were in love with.

Do you have any idea, if you did have a problem with your camera, would you be able to get parts still?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:53 pm
Some of my Nikon gear dates to the middle '60s - much of it functions with my current Nikon digital bodies, albeit without automation. Some of the newer stuff - late '80s into the '90s and more current, works absolutely the same digital or film (apart from the 1 to 1.6 focal length ratio between 35mm film and digital) - great product planning, pretty handy.

Repair services for at least the types of bodies, lenses, and peripherals used by pros and serious amatures will be available for decades to come.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 01:57 pm
That's good!
0 Replies