UEFA: Review of European Football (Soccer)

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 01:10 am
The independent review of European football and other sports has been published by the UEFA with a series of recommendations and proposals that are aimed at maintaining the European game's well-being in the future.

Manchester Evenening News from today, report it on its frontpage

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/9145/zwischenablage023wn.jpg

Main points of review (via Reuters)

- EU and UEFA to agree a formal structure, with UEFA being granted offical recognition as the governing body for European football.

- EU to set up a "European Sports Agency" to oversee all sports institutions and bodies within the 25-member bloc.

- New EU regulations for players' agents to provide better transparency. It should include harmonised standards for agents contracts and the introduction of an agents' licensing system.

- An independent European clearing house to be set up for player transfers.

- All clubs to have a certain number of "home-grown" players in their squads coupled with a squad size limitation. The number of home-grown players or a definition of home-grown was not in the report.

- A higher proportion of money from the Champions League to be put aside by UEFA for grassroots football.

- Setting up a European code of corporate governance for clubs.

- The need to ensure the independence of clubs and combat multi-ownership. - The introduction of salary caps to be administered by European and national sports governing bodies.

- Putting the player release rule for international matches on a firmer legal footing. This FIFA rule says clubs have to release their players for national team duty without entitlement to compensation.

- UEFA to intruduce a collective insurance package for players injured during the European Championship.

Report/links on UEFA website
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 967 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:07 pm
Michael Ballack on £130,000 a week, not to mention the bonuses and commercial clauses he'll call upon I'm sure, is simply ridiculous. Personally I can't justify 99% of the wages seen in top flight football anymore, maybe I never have been able to.

The funny thing with that article or about the situation as it currently stands is that Chelsea are defining a new pedestal of pulling power and wealth all for themselves. They actually bought a player, Shaun Wright-Phillips, simply so the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal etc couldn't sign him. Then they subsequently wasted him on the bench which led to (his own fault of course) his place in England's WC team being taken through pure lack of games. They can afford to pull this stuff though, it's not necessarily good business (LOL, very, very far from it), but with that russian behind them, well, how much will they sign Shevchenko up for??

The home grown bit is interesting because, as is rightly pointed out, how is it defined and then sufficiently implemented. The reason I say it's interesting is because I was just thinking a little while back, with England having two teams in Europe's top finals, just how much this countries football has benefitted from foreign input. The likes of Bergkamp, Zola and Cantona started it in a big way but yes, undoubtedly, the english game has improved ten fold in terms of quality. The funny thing is, we, as in Europe, may see an 18 year old moving from South America in the summer for a fee of around £14 million...

The numbers are scaring me anyway.
0 Replies