Isaac Newton Bible Student and Scientist Speaks.

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:33 am
Isaac Newton
The mathematical and scientific discoveries of Sir Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727) are astronomical. Some of the most notable of his achievements include the invention of calculus, the discovery of the laws of motion and the law of gravitation, and the construction of the first reflecting telescope. He also was a man known for his Christian faith. He spent a great portion of his time studying the Bible with a special interest in prophecy. Following are some of his quotations.

On the Bible:
"I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by men who were inspired. I study the Bible daily."

On atheism:
"Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system. I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance."

At the time of his death, he left more than a million words of notes on the Bible. Six years after his death, Observations Upon the Prophecies of Daniel and the Apocalypse of St. John was published. Not only was Isaac a great scientist but also a dedicated student of the Bible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,760 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Scott777ab

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:34 am
Who are we to argue with such a smart man as he is.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 01:23 am
He was Rosicruscian but a lousy Biblical scholar.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:16 am
What is your point, Mr. Scott?

Are you merely trying to point out that Isaac Newton did other things apart from scientific study? That does not come as a surprise. If, however, you are trying to use Newton to shore up your beliefs, you've got another thing coming to you.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:32 am
Ummm, I hesitate to point this out, not wanting to burst your theological bubble and all, but lots of really smart folks are atheists or Buddhists or Zoroastrians or even UNITARIANS, fer crissake. So it seems to me that your point really doesn't have much actual POINT to it.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:38 am
Some scientists, from what I hear, are proposing the Giant Spaghetti Monster theory. Does that make it true? Nope.
Seems they are only reinforcing their own beliefs more then they are changing anyone else's.
"Smart" does not mean "infallible".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:15 am
It is also worth noting that Newton did not invent the calculus alone, and, in fact, as this Wikipedia article points out, many parts of integral calculus were devised before Newton was born. Newtonian calculus is not unique, either--Leibniz developed many of the same methods.

Newton simply described laws of nature--he did not "discover" gravity, nor did he "discover" the laws of the conservation of energy--he simply described them. This is not to minimize the value of his contribution to thought and science--but it is intended to bring into perspective his importance, and to beggar the silly contention entailed in:

[qoute]Who are we to argue with such a smart man as he is.[/quote]

Newton also believed in alchemy, continuing to believe, as others were inventing the modern science of chemistry, that base metals could be transmuted into gold. He dosed himself regularly with heavy metals, and after his death, his body was found to contain extraordinary levels of mercury. Mercury was used by the makers of felt, was absorbed by them, and lead to very strange behavior on the part of hat-makers, and hence, the expression "as mad as a hatter." Because most chemical advances arose from commerce, rather than the investigations of aristocratic types who were not obliged to work for a living, it was long held in contempt by other "scientists." Newton was very likely "as mad as a hatter" by the end of his life, so it is unsurprising to me that he was devoutly religious.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 01:49 pm
Quote:
On atheism:
"Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system. I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance."

Take into account all the galaxies in the universe I would be surprised if there were not millions of earths. Poor Newton was too ignorant about astronomy to know this.

A smart man yes but he lived in a time that was far more ignorant about science than we are today.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 09:50 pm
Newton spent more time trying to convert lead to gold as he was deep into alchemy spending a lot of time with an oven concocting recipes containing mercury to get gold.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 06:45 am
Im still trying to figre out the entire point of the thread.. That he was a great scientist is agreed. He was also a great mathematical plagiarizer of work by others.

Ismael Ballialdus gave him the concept that gravity' attractive force is
1 DIRECTLY proportional to the product of the masses of the bodies under investigation , and

2 is INVERSELY proportional to the square of their distances

Summarizing this in a single equation is damn good work , but Im afraid that Im not as impressed as you about its "breakthroughness".

Hooke gave Newton the idea that planetary orbits are a function of angular and linear motion. LAter newton reffered to Hooke when he stated that he could see far because "he was standing on the shoulders of giants" (Many historians consider this a direct slap at Hooke , who was, rather vertically challenged)

We have a lot of people here on A2K that are somehow inferentially tying a deep religious belief within Newton and his greatness as a scientist as sorta coming from the same spot.

Before we get all teary eyed, might I suggest a quick read through Whites book."Newton, the Last Sorcerer". It , while being a fairly respectful book about the contributions of Newton (and others) , never lets us forget that these guys were all people of their times and supported various beliefs that today wed find just outrageous.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:21 am
Scott wrote:
Who are we to argue with such a smart man as he is.

Now you know who "we" are that will argue with such a smart man.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:11 pm
Good Day

What many have failed to realise is that the Bible is also a science book. In it lies many secrets which deal with energy, time and the workings of the universe.

Peace
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 09:39 pm
Right! The earth is flat and water filled the universe.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 03:43 am
Mindonfire

Have you found the pillars that support the dome of heaven yet?

Can you explain how the sun stood still for 24 hours?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 09:08 am
talk72000 wrote:
Right! The earth is flat and water filled the universe.

Good Day
Those are ignorant Believers who are divested from this reality. They don't understand that most of the Bible is symbolic of what happens in this reality.

Water can fill a universe but not in this reality. That is another subject though.

By the way the writers of the Bible knew that the earth was round. They new it first.

Isaiah 40:22 [It is] he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof [are] as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Peace
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 10:43 am
What the hell happened? I leave for a couple of days and this is what I come across with, when I come back: Nonsense and more nonsense?

Mindonfire wrote:

Good Day
Those are ignorant Believers who are divested from this reality.

Is that a fact? Let's analyze your dementia then.

Mindonfire wrote:
]

They don't understand that most of the Bible is symbolic of what happens in this reality.

Exactly…and if you are able to understand literature, you will also understand that the Bible implies that the Earth is flat…not spherical.

Mindonfire wrote:

Water can fill a universe but not in this reality. That is another subject though.

What piece of garbage is this?!! How can water fill the universe…in what reality? Are you out of your mind? Judging from this barrage of nonsense…you are out of your mind.
(I hope you're talking about the universe that takes place in your head when you neglect to take your pills.)

Mindonfire wrote:

By the way the writers of the Bible knew that the earth was round. They new it first.

No, they didn't. And if you actually think that they did know, you're the ignorant here (according to definition.) And the following verse provides enough evidence that states that you have no idea what you're talking about. Wanna see? Of course you wanna.

Mindonfire wrote:

Isaiah 40:22 [It is] he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof [are] as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Is this verse supposed to convince us that the ancient, delusional people that wrote the Bible knew that the Earth is round? C-come on! Give me a break. Is this real evidence to you? And if you took the time to pay for some literature classes, you would understand that this verse doesn't indicate that the Earth is round-- at all.

How can you tell me that a circle is a sphere or a ball? The verse clearly says: "he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth…." How is this evidence to the actual shape of this planet? A circle is flat…a sphere or ball is not.

But let's analyze the following verses that suggest that the earth is flat…not spherical. Shall we?

Job 11:9: "Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea."

Isaiah 11:12:
"And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH."

Revelation 7:1 :
"And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree

Job 38:13:
"That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?"

Daniel 4:11 :
:The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH"
(If you want more verses, I'd be more than happy to present them to you)

But Isaiah 40:22 is the only evidence that you have presented thus far, which you rely so strongly, that those people knew about the shape of the earth. But what about these other verses, the ones that clearly state that the Earth is flat? Can you explain them to me?

Mindonfire wrote:

Peace

Don't you mean "war"??

Nice to meet ya!!!!
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 01:41 pm
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
What the hell happened? I leave for a couple of days and this is what I come across with, when I come back: Nonsense and more nonsense?

Mindonfire wrote:

Good Day
Those are ignorant Believers who are divested from this reality.

Is that a fact? Let's analyze your dementia then.

Mindonfire wrote:
]

They don't understand that most of the Bible is symbolic of what happens in this reality.

Exactly…and if you are able to understand literature, you will also understand that the Bible implies that the Earth is flat…not spherical.

Mindonfire wrote:

What piece of garbage is this?!! How can water fill the universe…in what reality? Are you out of your mind? Judging from this barrage of nonsense…you are out of your mind.
(I hope you're talking about the universe that takes place in your head when you neglect to take your pills.)

Mindonfire wrote:

No, they didn't. And if you actually think that they did know, you're the ignorant here (according to definition.) And the following verse provides enough evidence that states that you have no idea what you're talking about. Wanna see? Of course you wanna.

Mindonfire wrote:

Is this verse supposed to convince us that the ancient, delusional people that wrote the Bible knew that the Earth is round? C-come on! Give me a break. Is this real evidence to you? And if you took the time to pay for some literature classes, you would understand that this verse doesn't indicate that the Earth is round-- at all.

How can you tell me that a circle is a sphere or a ball? The verse clearly says: "he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth…." How is this evidence to the actual shape of this planet? A circle is flat…a sphere or ball is not.

But let's analyze the following verses that suggest that the earth is flat…not spherical. Shall we?

Job 11:9: "Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea."

Isaiah 11:12:
"And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH."

Revelation 7:1 :
"And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree

Job 38:13:
"That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?"

Daniel 4:11 :
:The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH"
(If you want more verses, I'd be more than happy to present them to you)

But Isaiah 40:22 is the only evidence that you have presented thus far, which you rely so strongly, that those people knew about the shape of the earth. But what about these other verses, the ones that clearly state that the Earth is flat? Can you explain them to me?

Mindonfire wrote:

Peace

Don't you mean "war"??

Nice to meet ya!!!!

Good Day

Evidently you are part of that ignorant mass. First do you not understand that there are other realities and worlds that are out there. Or do you think that this is the only one. If you do, then you are a bigger fool then most. Go and study some science. There are millions of realites out there.

Secondly here are the definitions of circle and ball for your mental consumption.

Definitions (Merriam Webster)
1. Circle: (n) 1 a : RING, HALO b : a closed plane curve every point of which is equidistant from a fixed point within the curve c : the plane surface bounded by such a curve 2 archaic : the orbit of a celestial body 3 : something in the form of a circle or section of a circle: as a : DIADEM b : an instrument of astronomical observation the graduated limb of which consists of an entire circle c : a balcony or tier of seats in a theater d : a circle formed on the surface of a sphere by the intersection of a plane that passes through it *circle of latitude* e : ROTARY 2
4 : an area of action or influence : REALM
5 a : CYCLE, ROUND *the wheel has come full circle*

2. Ball: (n) 1 : a round or roundish body or massEARTH, GLOBE c : a spherical or conical projectile; also : projectiles used in firearms

Thirdly, Let us analyse your verses

1. Job 11:9: "Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea."

Have you never heard of the diameter of a circle? If you haven't please go back to school

Diameter: (n) 1 : a chord passing through the center of a figure or body
2 : the length of a straight line through the center of an object

2. Isaiah 11:12: "And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH."

Revelation 7:1 : "And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree

Have you never heard of a compass? Have you never heard of the four corners of the Earth, North, South, East, and West. What do you all learn in Queens? No wonder America is in the trouble that she is currently in.

3. Job 38:13: "That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?"

Daniel 4:11 : The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH"

Does the earth not have an end, or maybe you don't understand what end means. For your education the definition is below.

End: (n) 1 a : the part of an area that lies at the boundary b (1) : a point that marks the extent of something (2) : the point where something ceases to exist *world without end* c : the extreme or last part lengthwise : TIP d : the terminal unit of something spatial that is marked off by units

Maybe you need to move to Kings because you haven't learned anything in Queens.

War
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 01:49 pm
One of our favorite delusional blatherers wrote:
a closed plane curve every point of which is equidistant from a fixed point within the curve . . .

Look up the word plane--it appears in the subsequent definition, as well. Answers-dot-com writes:

Quote:
plane1 (plān) n.

1. Mathematics. A surface containing all the straight lines that connect any two points on it.
2. A flat or level surface.

Jason is correct--you are ignorant. I have emphasized the second definition there because we aren't dealing with mathematics--we're dealing with the bible, and therefore, with superstition. You have provided a definition for circle in which the word plane is central to the definition. A plane is a flat surface--not a sphere.

You are clueless.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 02:29 pm
Mindonfire wrote:

Good Day

This is not just a good day, my demented friend; it's a blissful day to point out your deranged ranting.

Mindonfire wrote:

Evidently you are part of that ignorant mass. First do you not understand that there are other realities and worlds that are out there. Or do you think that this is the only one. If you do, then you are a bigger fool then most. Go and study some science. There are millions of realites out there.

Use definition. Do you know what the word "ignorant" means? Can you apply it to this argument? I sense so much confusion in you…so much confusion. Can you provide at least a verse in the Bible that affirms that there are other dimensions out there? If there are other dimensions out there, could there be one that includes a little girl chasing after a white rabbit? I have study science, and I can tell you that I find it very, very fascinating. And I can absolutely tell you that science doesn't involve literature…it explains things logically…a word that you haven't heard in your entire life. There are millions of realities out there. Wow. Have you been to one? Last time I checked, it was ONLY a theory.

Mindonfire wrote:

Secondly here are the definitions of circle and ball for your mental consumption.

Yeah,, lets take a look at them.

Mindonfire wrote:

Definitions (Merriam Webster)
1. Circle: (n) 1 a : RING, HALO b : a closed plane curve every point of which is equidistant from a fixed point within the curve c : the plane surface bounded by such a curve 2 archaic : the orbit of a celestial body 3 : something in the form of a circle or section of a circle: as a : DIADEM b : an instrument of astronomical observation the graduated limb of which consists of an entire circle c : a balcony or tier of seats in a theater d : a circle formed on the surface of a sphere by the intersection of a plane that passes through it *circle of latitude* e : ROTARY 2
4 : an area of action or influence : REALM
5 a : CYCLE, ROUND *the wheel has come full circle*

What is your point? Did I give you the wrong definition? This is exactly what I meant? What are you trying to prove here?

Mindonfire wrote:

2. Ball: (n) 1 : a round or roundish body or massEARTH, GLOBE c : a spherical or conical projectile; also : projectiles used in firearms

This is what I meant when I said that the planet Earth is in the shape of a ball. What are you trying to convey here? Are you trying to debunk my argument? You're not doing a good job.

Mindonfire wrote:

Thirdly, Let us analyse your verses

Let's analyze them, indeed.

Mindonfire wrote:

1. Job 11:9: "Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea."

Have you never heard of the diameter of a circle? If you haven't please go back to school

A diameter is not a sphere, my delusional friend. I think that one of us needs to go back to school…and you know who that is.

Mindonfire wrote:

Diameter: (n) 1 : a chord passing through the center of a figure or body
2 : the length of a straight line through the center of an object

Your point?

Mindonfire wrote:

2. Isaiah 11:12: "And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH."

Revelation 7:1 : "And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree

Have you never heard of a compass? Have you never heard of the four corners of the Earth, North, South, East, and West. What do you all learn in Queens? No wonder America is in the trouble that she is currently in.

3. Job 38:13: "That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?"

Daniel 4:11 : The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH"
Does the earth not have an end, or maybe you don't understand what end means. For your education the definition is below.

Does a sphere have an end? Does a ball have an end? Hey, Mindonfire, I use definition all the time. And I haven't seen someone as confused as you in a long, long, long time. The word "end" is the opposite of the word "beginning." If you don't believe me, check the dictionary.

Mindonfire wrote:

End: (n) 1 a : the part of an area that lies at the boundary b (1) : a point that marks the extent of something (2) : the point where something ceases to exist *world without end* c : the extreme or last part lengthwise : TIP d : the terminal unit of something spatial that is marked off by units

What's your point?

Mindonfire wrote:

Maybe you need to move to Kings because you haven't learned anything in Queens.

War

You need to relax. Take it easy. I don't want to be forced to call the men in white.

You've probably have seen the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's a great film. If you haven't seen it, do it.

(You don't know how much laughter you have given me today. Keep it up. You amuse me.) :wink:
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 02:37 pm
xingu wrote:
Mindonfire

Have you found the pillars that support the dome of heaven yet?

Can you explain how the sun stood still for 24 hours?

He can't explain them, Xingu. He's just so immerged in the vomit of his own nonsense.
0 Replies