look at this website - fantastic paintings

cobalt

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 07:35 pm
Here is another painter who may be of interest to this discussion. He's a former prof of mine in art school LONG ago, and I follow his work and that of his daughters to this day. There are two particular exhibits going for him right now, both in Texas:

http://www.kenholder.net/index.html

His work is both commercially "facilitated" and fine art - interesting to me.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 01:51 pm
Hi I'm back from France and stone age cave paintings

- there are some really interesting, considered responses on this thread that i have been busy catching up with Smile You are an interesting lot! Very Happy I'm glad i put the address on.

Osso i am glad you are prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt! believe me when you see the originals they are not slick but multilayered and incredibly painterly. I too hate slick paintings.

It is always hard to judge the quality of a painting from a tiny computer image.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 01:55 pm
Farmerman - You said you would be interested in seeing the originals - I don't know where you are but there is talk of a New York show for David Prentice. I spoke to him at the opening of this recent show (I don't know him I'm afraid - i was just another visitor) and he is considering an offer.
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 02:56 pm
Artis'ts website
Vivien,

What a visit to that website! Can you even **imagine*8 what these paintings look like, in person? WOW!

To put this is perspective, I am not a lover of seascapes or landscapes, fr the most part. It is when humans are the subject matter, and then their surroundings interest me.

I have to say that David Prentice's Paintings gave me the chills, that have not stopped yet.

His use of colour and light seem to be os another world. The Malvern Hills really rock, when viewed as paintings as seen and depicted by Mr. Prentice.

Now, I will go read the other comments.

Thank you for that link!

fatima10
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 01:16 am
hi Fatima

I did see the originals - some of them 6 foot or more canvasses and they are a million times better in reality believe me!

I was at the Private View and spoke to the artist about his work which was a fascinating insight into his thought processes. Magic!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:18 am
thanks vivien, Im going to keep my attention to the art calendars. I too think his work is great , Id love to see the full sizes and sublety of color and light. Im a nut for different ways of showing fleeting time and Im convinced that hes concerned about this also. Can you give any insites from your talk with him?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 12:18 pm
farmerman - heck this is just from memory!

Time is very very important in his current work on the large canvasses. They have the sense of weather systems passing ... rain followed by shafts of sun - this is intentional and a lot of observation, plein air sketching and walks in the Malvern Hills feed into his work. He has a deep knowledge of his subject in all weathers and lights and seasons - essential to have the information in your head in order to push the boundaries as he does and not produce something shallow and decorative. He puts the hard slashes of straight lines to create breaks (cartoons are an influence with their telling of a story in a sequence) and divide time sections in the same way as a cartoon but more arbitrary - I'm afraid I am putting this very badly! Sad but it is the best I can do

Time is something I am very interested in with my own work at the moment so it struck a chord. I am handling it in a different way but still trying to show the passage of time and changing light. I have done it by having multiple canvasses that work as one piece - an ongoing project.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 12:24 pm
I know this guy, kinda sorta. What do you think of his paintings?

http://www.pierrebittar.com/
0 Replies

Fatima10

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 10:54 pm
To View Them In Person
Vivien, to have viewed those large scale painting in person, must have been overwhelming!

If I was to view them in person, I think that I would end up in the ICU of the nearest hospital!

From your description of Mr. Prentice's intention to depict, Did he not 'capture' the un-capturable, and we know it? It seems to me that he achieved the goals of portraying the weather, the effects of weather, time, and then surpassed such an ambitious goal.

As a personal aside, which has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. I would purchase his works, even if I foundthe artist to be the most unpleasant of people.....a personal rule, broken! I do not buy art from unlikable or pompous artists. No matter how beautiful the piece.

I do believe that once an artist finishes, it is no longer 'belongs' to them. It belongs to the world, the universe...... Like, land.. it exists, and gives nourishment, no matter who owns it, at the time. Anyone who has read <and remembers> my prior postings about the relationship of the art to the artist, knows this is a consistent thought of mine. until I receive an explanation to dissuade me, otherwise.

LUCKY ONE! Thank you.

fatima10
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2003 07:30 am
Looks like were in a cluster of artists who appreciate the "fleeting moment". Im glad to see others involved in capturing this on paper or canvas. I find, in my work, the ability to throw out those pieces that dont make it for me makes the remaining work appear to be a higher quality
cjhsa-I liked the Bittar work, he has a number of pieces in his gallery that capture a moment in time also.
0 Replies