Spouses with benefits

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:18 am
Re: Spouses with benefits
Thomas wrote:
Building on this remark, I think we can eventually reach a mutually satisfactory disagreement. Unlike you, I strongly suspect that homosexual couples tend to care very much about marriage licenses as the token of community recognition that they are, and what they ultimately want is society's recognition. I don't believe in this "it's just business" line of argument as anything more than a tactical position to swing the courts.

That may be so, but then homosexual couples would have no claim to society's recognition if that were not in society's power to confer.

Thomas wrote:
Accordingly, if marriage were to become a purely religious affair, I'd predict that today's gay rights organization would adapt their tactics to target whoever is in charge of administering marriage. Specifically, in your example, they would seek to change theological doctrine and religious folklore in a direction more conducive to gay marriage.

Or found their own religions.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:03 am
I will say that I'm not really sure what I think about all of this. I have always leaned in the complete opposite direction -- that marriage was a legal institution and not a religious one, and that any two (or more, if you like) consenting adults should be free to enter into it. I thought that's what the whole civil union thing was about -- removing the religious connotation of marriage by removing the word "marriage". Anyone, of course, is free to tack on whatever religious tenets they wish, but the core contract is a legal one. That seems to me to be the simpler road to take rather than dismantle the legal system as it pertains to marriage. That would open a whole can of worms, the size of which is unknown.

I can kind of see where joe is going, but I think (I know, this is the philosophy forum) practically speaking it's a non-starter. If folks were afraid before that "marriage" was under attack, well, hearing the idea that it should not be legally sanctioned at all would certainly reinforce that feeling. I should add that I don't personally believe in marriage for any reason except to raise children, otherwise, avoiding for now the benefits of health insurance and other such things, there is no need to do anything other than cohabitate. You have yours, I have mine, we enjoy each others company and that's that. But as soon as children are involved, so is some level of inequality where money and property are concerned. Where there is money and property, there is the law.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 04:05 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
That may be so, but then homosexual couples would have no claim to society's recognition if that were not in society's power to confer.

There is plenty enough social norm enforcement going on outside the legal system to be worth influencing. (See any random Ms.Manners column.) Thus, even without a legal claim, the homosexual community could still influence public opinion through persuasion, much as the inventor of "Ms" and "African American did". And society, member by member, would still have plenty of extra-legal ways to grant or refuse regognition of same sex couples.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Accordingly, if marriage were to become a purely religious affair, I'd predict that today's gay rights organization would adapt their tactics to target whoever is in charge of administering marriage. Specifically, in your example, they would seek to change theological doctrine and religious folklore in a direction more conducive to gay marriage.

Or found their own religions.

Sure.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:26 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I will say that I'm not really sure what I think about all of this. I have always leaned in the complete opposite direction -- that marriage was a legal institution and not a religious one, and that any two (or more, if you like) consenting adults should be free to enter into it. I thought that's what the whole civil union thing was about -- removing the religious connotation of marriage by removing the word "marriage". Anyone, of course, is free to tack on whatever religious tenets they wish, but the core contract is a legal one. That seems to me to be the simpler road to take rather than dismantle the legal system as it pertains to marriage. That would open a whole can of worms, the size of which is unknown.

Why should marriage be a civil institution? Why does the state have an interest in promoting marriage?

FreeDuck wrote:
I can kind of see where joe is going, but I think (I know, this is the philosophy forum) practically speaking it's a non-starter. If folks were afraid before that "marriage" was under attack, well, hearing the idea that it should not be legally sanctioned at all would certainly reinforce that feeling. I should add that I don't personally believe in marriage for any reason except to raise children, otherwise, avoiding for now the benefits of health insurance and other such things, there is no need to do anything other than cohabitate. You have yours, I have mine, we enjoy each others company and that's that. But as soon as children are involved, so is some level of inequality where money and property are concerned. Where there is money and property, there is the law.

I make no claim that this is has any chance of being adopted, at least in the current political and social climate. But then that's what they said about ending slavery, or giving women the right to vote, or any number of revolutionary changes that were debated long before they were adopted.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:29 am
Thomas wrote:
There is plenty enough social norm enforcement going on outside the legal system to be worth influencing. (See any random Ms.Manners column.) Thus, even without a legal claim, the homosexual community could still influence public opinion through persuasion, much as the inventor of "Ms" and "African American did". And society, member by member, would still have plenty of extra-legal ways to grant or refuse regognition of same sex couples.

No doubt proponents can influence public opinion with regard to the gay marriage issue -- after all, they're doing it right now. But social recognition is still not the same thing as legal recognition.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:32 am
joefromchicago wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

Why should marriage be a civil institution? Why does the state have an interest in promoting marriage?

Does being a civil institution necessitate state promotion? I see it as a contract. What interest does a state have in regulating or enforcing contracts?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:46 am
joefromchicago wrote:
But social recognition is still not the same thing as legal recognition.

It's not the same, I admit. But if you think the legal side is the most important one, I'm afraid that's professional vanity on your part. As an analogy, when I look at my friendships, I am perfectly happy to see them socially recognized and legally ignored. Governments and churches would add no value whatsoever if they gave my friendships legal or theological recognition. I don't see why marriages can't be just friendships between people who have sex, with visitation rights and other legalities regulated as an entirely separate matter through contracts, wills, and other standard legal tools.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 10:32 am
Marriage is the basic social until because someone has to change diapers.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 10:45 am
joefromchicago wrote:

But doesn't social recognition help pave the way toward legal recognition?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:15 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Does being a civil institution necessitate state promotion? I see it as a contract. What interest does a state have in regulating or enforcing contracts?

No more interest than it has in any other contract.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:17 am
Thomas wrote:
It's not the same, I admit. But if you think the legal side is the most important one, I'm afraid that's professional vanity on your part.

I didn't say that legal recognition was better, I just said it wasn't the same.

Thomas wrote:
I don't see why marriages can't be just friendships between people who have sex, with visitation rights and other legalities regulated as an entirely separate matter through contracts, wills, and other standard legal tools.

That's my point exactly.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:18 am
J_B wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

It certainly can, and often does. I have no problem with gays fighting for social acceptance of gay marriage. I just question whether the state should be involved in the marriage business at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:26 am
joefromchicago wrote:
I just question whether the state should be involved in the marriage business at all.

Why not, they screw up nearly every other aspect of our lives already.

(Just a way of bookmarking, i'm enjoying the discussion, and have nothing of substance to add which has not been articulated by others.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 11:53 am
joefromchicago wrote:
J_B wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

It certainly can, and often does. I have no problem with gays fighting for social acceptance of gay marriage. I just question whether the state should be involved in the marriage business at all.

I think it makes as much sense as it does for them to be involved in any other contract, like real estate or banking. The state appears to be interested in making sure that parties don't take advantage of one another in general.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:53 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I think it makes as much sense as it does for them to be involved in any other contract, like real estate or banking. The state appears to be interested in making sure that parties don't take advantage of one another in general.

There's no problem with the state enforcing a marital contract in the same fashion that it enforces a real estate contract, and if every marriage were treated as a simple contractual relationship between two (or more) adults, I would have no objection. But the state currently does not treat marriage as a simple contract, it treats marriage as a privileged relationship. That is the problem.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:04 am
Ok, I agree.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 08:34 am
While we're at it, let's abolish limited liability companies as well. They, too, are treated as a privileged relationship, which they shouldn't be.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:58 am
Thomas wrote:
While we're at it, let's abolish limited liability companies as well. They, too, are treated as a privileged relationship, which they shouldn't be.

One step at a time, Thomas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 12:04 pm
The Limited Liability Act of 1855 in England was a piece of parliamentary genius on the part of that body, which, although opened to a wider franchise in the Reform Act of 1832, was nonetheless then still dominated by the landed gentry and the representatives of the merchants of the City. The Act limited the liability of individual investors to the the value of their investment. From the point of view of financiers, it represented an example of legal genius, freeing huge amounts of capital for investment which might not otherwise have been ventured.

I make no claim as to the relative equity embodied in the application of the Act.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 02:08 pm
Setanta wrote-

Quote:
From the point of view of financiers, it represented an example of legal genius, freeing huge amounts of capital for investment which might not otherwise have been ventured.

Yes- the social consequences justification. It was a key to our onward and upward progress with the rights and wrongs being irrelevant. Pragmatism.

On the state granting financial benefits to married heterosexuals again it was useful for the same ends. That seems to be changing but it should be remembered that this is a transition phase with a large number of economic factors in play now that consuming is becoming more important than production which is more or less taken for granted.
0 Replies