farmerman

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 07:09 am
Miller said
Quote:
I wasn't responding to your question.
. So it was just an odd juxtaposition of my question followed by ossos comment. Ok ,However, to answer your statement in anequally "non disputable manner" Barbaro has demonstrated low bone denisty, which is, as we know, that which defines osteoporosis. Now my question was How did his bone density take a dive?

I propose a simple test on bone density in horses (warm bloods, draft and thoroughbreds). Develop a data base that remove geneticsfrom the equation and thgen follow a series of horses that are raised in various water sources.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:38 pm
Farmerman--I would consider it unlikely that water would be a factor in Barbaro's bone density for a couple of reasons. First, bear in mind that these high-powered thoroughbreds are carefully fed what is currently believed to be the best rations available. Second, from the time they reach two years of age, they spend a lot of time in various racing facilities across the country, so their water will come from many sources. I would be more interested in determining his level of parathyroid activity.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:10 pm
Barbaro has led a terribly sheltered life. He was born in Chester County and raised there. His training had taken place pretty much entirely at the equine center in Fair Hill Maryland. His life was a 30 mile circle.

I was just posting what the Irish vets (who were in the employ of a Saudi racing syndicate) were having us provide before they considered buying up any property for race horse breeding and training.

What is your take on the non use of artificial insemnation for race horses? Is the reasoning mostly one of tradition and thats it?
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 10:18 pm
Farmerman

that's a really interesting hypothesis as he wouldve been munching on greens as a yearling. Certainly worth some sort of investigative peek.
as for Barbaro his injuries have the etiology of a misstep that happens to horses of all ages anywhere from their paddock to the track ( as cowdoc already pointed out ). an issue of species design and loading parameters.
unfortunately most condylar fractures begin as tiny microfractures in the cannon bone cortex ( in a yearling to 2 excessive increased bone formation can lead to strain and subsequent microfractures of the subchondral bone ) but they're indectectable ( but most horses whove had any training have them )

as for AI in TBs im entirely for it ( even if it will shut out some of the small breeders as it inevitably will ) particularly when you have horses like lionheart breeding to 150+ mares / yr. stallions can become physically exhausted and potentially soured - especially when they have to cover the mare multiple times until success.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 03:56 pm
Which of the progeny from these matings will turn out to be champions?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 04:07 pm
150 breedings a year? Thats like 2.5 days between breedings, I could handle that. But Id have to start drinking wine again.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 04:57 pm
Farmerman--

Women, then wine, then you burst into song?
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:45 pm
apologies my figure of 150+ mares was incorrect

coolmore's factory farming breeding op:
lionheart - 233 mares
fu peg - 213
chapel royal - 222
giant's causeway - 213
( they shuttle to Aus for the other breeding season ) 151 day breeding season

that is heinous considering the numbers of times they have to cover each mare ( and that it takes atleast 2 weeks for the sperm to make it into the epididymis and then have to remain in the body for 4 days atleast to mature )

miller - breeding is a gamble no matter the bloodlines.
i.e.
fusaichi samurai ( 4.5 million ) ran 2nd to last in a 49k allowance race in his last start
mr sekiguchi ( 8 million ) won a 61k maiden special weight in his last start
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 01:37 pm
Yes, breeding is a gamble.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:41 pm
I understand that Barbaro is doing well.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/14/entertainment/main2262899.shtml?source=RSSattr=Entertainment_2262899
0 Replies