State where you used to be able to drive fast as you like

husker

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 09:40 pm
Open containers for open roads; that's Montana
Where government reflects culture

Tomas Alex Tizon
Los Angeles Times

HELENA _ To Andrew Vandaele, the right to drink and drive is as fundamental as the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And if you don't agree, well, nobody's forcing you to stay in Montana.

Vandaele, 68, is a retired refrigerator repairman, a lifelong Montanan and self-described "regular guy." He has sipped-and-steered his entire adult life and says he doesn't plan to change.

"I'm driving home from the lake. It's hot. I pop a beer. As long as I'm not drunk, what's wrong with that?" Vandaele says. He's never hurt anybody. There was the night in 1968, coming home from a Christmas party, where he got a DUI, but even then, he says, he was never out of control. At least not that he remembers.

He and thousands of like-minded Montanans, including some leading legislators, are a main reason why some drunken-driving laws can't find traction in Big Sky country. Such laws are seen to infringe on the state's live-and-let-live spirit, an attitude one legislator sums up as part of the region's "cowboy culture."

Even a leader of the state's Mothers Against Drunk Driving chapter, Bill Muhs, who's lived in Montana for two decades, concedes the cultural aspect.

"There are still people here who measure distances in six-packs," Muhs says. "Bozeman to Billings is a six-pack drive. Bozeman to Montana City is a two six-pack trip. Crossing the state would be a whole case."

The latest collision of law-vs.-culture took place last month when a MADD-supported bill banning open alcohol containers in vehicles was voted down despite vigorous lobbying from Gov. Judy Martz.

Federal agencies report that 36 states and Washington, D.C., have laws banning open containers of alcohol in cars and another 11 ban drinking while driving.

Montana, Wyoming and Mississippi are the only states left with no federally approved law prohibiting the practice, and, not coincidentally, these states have among the highest numbers of per-capita traffic fatalities involving alcohol.

Montana's major cities -- Bozeman, Billings, Butte and Helena -- each have open-container laws that apply within city limits, and half the state's population lives in these cities. This helps explain why a 1999 survey found that 74 percent of Montana residents believed the state already had such a law.

But once you leave the cities, you can open a bottle of any kind of alcohol and drink it while tooling down the highway. And most of Montana's 70,000 miles of paved roads are open highway. With less than a million people living in an area larger than Germany, Montana is one of the most sparsely populated states in the country. Driving is a necessity.

According to national highway statistics, Montana is second only to Mississippi for alcohol-related traffic deaths per 100,000 people. Last year in Montana, nearly 270 people were killed in traffic accidents, and up to 47 percent of those accidents involved alcohol. The national average is 39 percent.

"You remember what Mark Twain said about statistics?" says state Rep. Jim Shockley, a Republican from the town of Victor (pop. 400). "He said something like, `There are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics.' You can get statistics to do anything you want."

Shockley, chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, made sure the open-container bill did not make it out of his committee for a vote. He says many legislators would have voted for the bill merely to be politically correct.

A retired Marine and the only lawyer in his hometown, Shockley is depicted by MADD officials as one of the Wild West characters who defends the culture of drinking. The 58-year-old legislator doesn't mind the characterization.

Like many Montanans, he's an avid outdoorsman. He hunts, hikes and rides his mules into the mountains. He made minor national news two years ago when he fell off his mule, broke seven ribs and punctured a lung. The accident almost killed him.

But rough-and-tough living is what Montana is all about, he says. For someone to tell him it's wrong, after a day of hunting or hiking in the hot sun, to pop open a beer in his pickup -- "Well, that's just too much," he says. It's nobody else's business.

"People say it's (drinking) part of the culture, and I think it is," Shockley says. "As long as you're sober, I don't see the problem. It's not the government's role to tell us what our culture is. The government should reflect the culture, not the other way around.

"If they don't like our culture," he says, "they can go somewhere else."

Montana was one of the last states to raise the legal drinking age from 18 to 21. Motorcyclists aren't required to wear helmets, and police aren't allowed to stop motorists for not wearing seat belts. For three years in the mid-1990s, Montana had no highway speed limits, (the limit is back down to 75 on interstate highways).

Muhs says it's highly likely some version of an open-container bill will be re-introduced in the next legislative session in 2005 (Montana's Legislature meets every two years). If Martz is re-elected governor, she'll likely lobby once again for the bill. The issue has become something of a personal crusade.

Three years ago, one of the governor's aides, after a night of drinking, rolled his SUV and killed a popular legislator, state House Majority Leader Paul Sliter, who was a passenger. The death was big news around here but not persuasive in the way that MADD or Martz wanted.

Opponents of the open-container bill quickly point out that the aide, Shane Hedges, was not drinking while driving. He drank at a restaurant and then got in his car. That, according to 22-year-old Jeff Bradshaw, is the real problem.

Bradshaw works as a delivery man for M-T Glass Liquors in downtown Helena. In his mind there's no difference between drinking at a bar and then driving home and drinking a beer while driving. "If you're drunk, you're drunk," he says.

"Even if they pass the (open container) law, you'll still have all these people getting out of bars at 1:45 in the morning," Bradshaw says. And they're not going to walk home."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,356 • Replies: 9
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 12:23 pm
Good on you, Bradshaw.... Defend those drunken drivers....
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 12:28 pm
Ahh, beauteous Montana! Land of Blue Skies and Red Asphalt....
0 Replies

golf97

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:05 pm
Very interesting article. I'm sure there are places in Montana where government officials have yet to place signs. Would I then have to concede to the 75 mph interstate speed>
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 11:23 am
I too thought they had an open container law. I know when visiting relatives in good old Montana, there is definitely concern about drinking and driving. But that is typically when hanging out at a few bars in Billings - largest city in Montana.

I can definitely see the attitude though especially those that do not live in the "cities", but in the rural areas.

I also didn't realize they implemented a speed limit on the highways (used be none). Good thing to know as I plan on visiting again this summer. However, I can only imagine what the penalty is. Prior to the no speed limit, Montana used to have a one ticket one day policy. If you were stopped once for speeding, you were issued a ticket and if you were stopped again that day, you simply flashed your ticket and you would not get another.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:20 am
I don't think the average American driver has a clue how to drive a car 100 mph. Visiting Gemany a few years ago, my German nephew enlightened me about some of the differences between driving in the US and Germany. I also drove on the autobahn.

You want to go 100mph? Is your car ready to go 100mph?
I don't mean "will it go 100mph?" I mean is it safe? Are your tires rated for 100mph? If not, stop, you're not prepared. Also, there's the question of whether the road is designed for 100mph driving?

My nephew said driver's training in Germany was intensive and demanding. I think he said the written test was about an hour or two long. The driving test was alsoextensive. It required a test in the daytime and at night. And my recall is that it cost around $1,500 to get a drivers license. The German drivers I observed had both hands on the steering wheel. I didn't see any drivers doing anything distracting like drinking coffee or anything, let alone beer.

I believe the auto fatality rate in Germany is about the same as the US. So, whats the big deal? The big deal is that the carnage on our highways would be incalculable. Even without beer.

PS - I visited Montana four or five years ago. It's an awesome, beuatiful state. I said to my wife that I now understood what was meant by "Montana - Big Sky".
But as I drove through that magnificent state, I kept wondering how far it was to the nearest movie, the nearest theater, the nearest art gallery, etc. Now I know that driving fast while drinking beer is part of Montana's culture. Perhaps a blending of the two "Drink and Drive for Art's Sake."
(Just kidding)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:28 am
Fastest highways, and no open container laws. Sweet. My kind of state.

But I think it's pretty funny, seeing the old timer's think it's they're gosh dang' right living in the US and A to drink while driving. Even though I've had a few "road sodas," I don't think it should be legal.
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:35 am
Good on em I say. Its good to know there are some places left in the western world where everyone isnt so damn precious. Oh I slipped on a dribble of soda in a restaurant, Ill sue them! Ill sue them the bas#@rds!
Yeah its OK to have US troops dying in a country thats none of there friggin buisiness, but so help me god, no one is going to drink and drive in case someone gets hurt on the road!
I hope noone ever gives me power.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:49 am
I hope so too.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:04 am
BillyFalcon wrote:
I don't think the average American driver has a clue how to drive a car 100 mph. Visiting Gemany a few years ago, my German nephew enlightened me about some of the differences between driving in the US and Germany. I also drove on the autobahn.

You want to go 100mph? Is your car ready to go 100mph?
I don't mean "will it go 100mph?" I mean is it safe? Are your tires rated for 100mph? If not, stop, you're not prepared. Also, there's the question of whether the road is designed for 100mph driving?

My nephew said driver's training in Germany was intensive and demanding. I think he said the written test was about an hour or two long. The driving test was alsoextensive. It required a test in the daytime and at night. And my recall is that it cost around $1,500 to get a drivers license. The German drivers I observed had both hands on the steering wheel. I didn't see any drivers doing anything distracting like drinking coffee or anything, let alone beer.

I can attest for that. Germans drive very fast but have a) more experience and b) don't drink and drive (the legal ramifications are fatal).

Husker, driving fast and drinking and driving are two entirley different
subjects.
0 Replies