The Ring

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 06:51 am
What did people think of 'One Hour Photo', speaking of psychological thrillers...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 06:56 am
Cav, how was Reign of Fire? The plot description sounds laughable. Is it worth a rent?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 02:50 pm
Reign of Fire was not quite as bad as I thought it would be, and it is worth a rent if you are fond of Christian Bale and Matthew McConnoughy (sic) running around all sweaty and dirty. The CGI dragons look a little sucky though. It pulls out all the cliches, which makes me think it may have been parody...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 02:57 pm
snood & Phoenix ~ even though I admit to have been scared by 'The Ring', I agree with your opinions. There are so many supposed scary movies that I've rented.....and I always end up saying 'you gotta be kiddin me ~ that's how it ends?'.

Has anyone seen 'Dreamcatcher' yet? I enjoyed the book.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:41 pm
I enjoyed the book, too, Rae. And I can't imagine Morgan Freeman as the bad guy! I'll have to rent it when it comes out...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:44 pm
mac11 ~ Morgan Freeman is the bad guy? Ohmygoodness! I'm renting 'Dreamcatcher' tomorrow ~ that's all there is to it. Will be back with a review.

Morgan Freeman? The bad guy? Oh dear.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:45 pm
Hmm, reminding self after seeing snood reference: see Antwone Fisher...tried renting it but it was out....will have to wait till next week, but I must see this film, from what I have heard...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:48 pm
Heard that was good, too, cav.

mac11 has me wondering now if 'Dreamcatcher' is even available on video yet.....I'm gonna be so upset if it's not! God help the clerks at Blockbuster.....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:56 pm
Rae, don't kill the clerks! It's not their fault! Very Happy

Dreamcatcher's no longer playing here, but it's not out on video yet either...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:24 pm
I am re-watching Ghost World now....one of my all-time faves. A perfect movie for anyone who has felt out of place in the world, as a teen or an adult, or just too smart for everyone else Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:24 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I am re-watching Ghost World now....one of my all-time faves. A perfect movie for anyone who has felt out of place in the world, as a teen or an adult, or just too smart for everyone else Very Happy

Besides that, if its the movie I'm thinking about, Thora Birch is a babydoll.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:26 pm
The last movie that was genuinely scary to me, and that I thought was a good movie was "The Others".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 12:49 pm
Thora Birch is indeed a cutie, and her character in Ghost World reminds me a lot of myself when I was that age. I think I saw The Others, if it's the one with Nicole Kidman....that was a cool scary flick.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 01:56 pm
The problem with The Others, is that it telegraphs the real situation early in the movie. other than that , it was pretty good.

We saw Adaptation and that one is a comedy terror movie. Its about a screen writer trying to adapt the book "The Orchid Thief" into a fimplay. Takes a while to get going but it quietly shoots you in the head .
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 07:23 pm
the movie Adaptation is one hell of a mess.
The movie attempts to blend reality and fantasy.
It also tries to use the medium of movies to comment on the action of a movie that's being written by or hero. A sort of reflexive use of the medium, film, to comment on film and reality.

Whatever Adaptation is about, someone beat the movie in using the medium to illustrate the medium. That someone is the Italian playwright Luigi Pirandello. His name is used to describe plays that use the medium of theatre to comment on the characters. "The play was Pirandellian."

Pirandellos most famous play "Six Characters in Search of an Author" has six characters coming on to a bare stage. They talk to a stage manager and express their need to act out their story. If they don't act out their story, they won't exist.

So, also in "Right You are If You Think You Are." And, in his challenging play Henry IV, a man who hit his head in a riding accident and killed a man, has to pretend to be insane to avoid prosecution. But he is shocked by his friends with a painting and regains his sanity. Or does he? If he acts sane, he can be prosecuted. If he continues to act insane, it is because he is sane. However, on another level you would have to be insane to continue acting insane.

Special effects wouldn't add much to these creations of Pirandello. I read recently "The most difficult special effects can be accomplished with time and money. It takes imagination to tell a good story."
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 07:29 pm
Okay, ya'll have piqued my interest with 'Ghost World' ~ I've never heard of it. Was it a motion picture? On video?

I saw 'The Others'.....right on the tail of 'The Sixth Sense', so my enthusiasm for it wasn't as great. I didn't think it was scary at all.

I'll go back to 'The Cell' as being the scariest movie I've seen in a decade.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:49 pm
Yes, Rae, Ghost World is available on video. I believe it was based on a comic book. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I got that wrong... :wink:)

I never saw The Cell. I'll add it to my rental list...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:57 pm
Yeah, Ghost World was based on a comic I never heard of, but the characters are so human, you would never know. Definitely check it out. The Cell is okay....not great, but cool effects. J-Lo wears far too much makeup for an FBI agent, I think.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:01 pm
Thanks mac11. You'll be happy to know that I didn't slaughter any Blockbuster employees tonight.....I'll wait for 'Dreamcatcher' to come out on video with the rest of the world.

Even though it's killing me to wait.....

Pretty clouds.....beautiful sun......pretty clouds.....

Ahem.....

I am bound an determined to watch 'Ghost World' on ya'lls recommendation.

Honesttogawd ~ 'The Cell'.....I only agreed to watch it in the early afternoon.....with two other comedy movies to watch afterwards.

The plot was not all that great, but made the theatrics following welcomed.

Again.....I watched this at 16:00......with my feet up on a chair.....and I was still scared......

This was two years ago.

I'd love to hear of another movie to scare the socks off of me.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:04 pm
I hated ghost world. Don't know what everyone got so excited about.
Ringu' was awesome. If you get the chance, see the original Japanese version. If possible, see that one first. I also highly recommend "Donnie Darko."
0 Replies