The Ring

Rae

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 08:51 pm
Well. Me, Mom and Dougy just got done watching 'The Ring'. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but it definitely scared the crap out of me......Mom and Dougy, too.

Had one of those plots where just when you thought it was over, something else would happen. Edge of your seat type stuff.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen it and what you thought of it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,918 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Monger

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:31 am
Pretty damn baffling, if you ask me. Something about a woman. And a girl. And some horses. Almost sounds naughty, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:18 am
lol.....naughty indeed!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:19 am
I didn't like it much.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:20 am
Why not, husker?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:27 am
dumb - can see version 1 to 99 going to come of this.
freddie meets the ring or something like that
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:37 am
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It got resolved much as Stephen King would, its never really over. Thats the point Husker. You have to enjoy (or not) each one on its own, not for the dynasty it might foretell.

im a sukker for the
"Scare me to death movies" and I can get into them easilyMonger, if you want to see a movie that doesnt explain anything, rent Wendigo (something like that) Its so bad that I think the actors were all filming separately and it was just edited into something out of leftover clippings.
It gets my vote for the cheesiest horror movie of the millenium.

AHHHH for lunch we are having bat wing clusters> my favorite
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 10:45 am
farmerman, Ebert gave Wendigo 2 1/2 stars. He "almost recommends it," whatever that means:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2002/02/022203.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 12:52 pm
I cannot believe it. Ebert must have some money invested in this POS. Believe me, if you see it you will immediately recall the expression
"phoning it in"
Ebert has some deep held issues that show up in movies that contain certain actors. He also has score some real stinkers with high ratings.

He did NOT like the BIG LEBOWSKI, which was one of my favorite movies in that year. Ive never forgiven him , that movie was a tour de force for John Goodman and Steve Buscemi.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 07:58 pm
I was sooo ready to see a "scary" movie (y'know, there are some things you just kinda have to "be in the mood" for?) when I went to see The Ring.

The buildup was sort of interesting, but IMO the payoff was really sloppy.
It left me saying "Ya gotta be kidding me - that's how it ends?".
If I'd have known how this movie was, I'd have waited until it came out in video, and then not rented it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 May, 2003 08:07 pm
I dug it.

One of my new favorite movies is "Roger Dodger." It's an independent film, about this guy whol tries to teach his nephew how to pick up chicks, it's set in NYC. Hilarious.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:27 am
The Ring
I haven't as yet seen the new version of the ring, but I can tell you now, the subtitled one really scared me! I don't know what happened to me...I turned into a pile of jelly under the duvet and couldn't look at the screen (the part when the girl comes out of the telly).. Shocked

How embarrassing! Embarrassed

Speaking of slightly offbeat worth a watch movies, has anyone seen the attrociously bad but must see Bad Taste?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 27 May, 2003 08:48 am
Hi, carrie - welcome to A2K!

I haven't seen Bad Taste. Do I understand you correctly that it's "worth a watch"?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 04:23 am
Its definately worth a watch..honestly it is so bad it is funny, I love it...its an Australian film and is quite grosse at times, but in a really comical way...he he...you'll see what I mean if you ever see it!!!

Thanks for the welcome!!

Carrie
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 07:11 am
Nice avatar, carrie! Very Happy
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 07:57 am
Cheers Mac! If only i were she...guns ablazing, big bikes and fast cars...hubba hubba..lol
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 07:58 am
Actually, I think she looks a bit boney in the new Matrix...but that's a whole new thread!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 08:01 am
I'm sure the film fans here would love to discuss how bony/curvy Trinity was! But you're right, we're way off topic... Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 06:07 am
Interesting- I had not noticed this thread before. Hubby & I went to Blockbuster, and picked up a pre-viewed "Ring" on sale. The movie had great reviews. In fact, one review touted it as "one of the greatest ghost stories on film".

NOT! I was bored to tears. The acting was fine, but there was something about it that defied credibility, and I just could not make any sense of it, and I did not find it the least bit scary. Then I thought of another movie where I had the same reaction, which was "The Blair Witch Project".

I started to think about the correlation between the two films, and something occurred to me. They are both about the unknown, the so-called supernatural. I do not believe in the supernatural, so these films held no terror for me.

Now give me a good psychological thriller, and THAT will scare the hell out of me. I think that the mayhem that human beings can wreak upon one another is far more chilling than any supposed "ghost"!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 06:47 am
Hmm...it's on digital cable now, so I could conceivably watch it...but I do have to wonder why....mind you, I did watch 'Reign of Fire' the other day....
0 Replies