stephen wiltshire - an incredible talent

Vivien

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 01:37 am
I thought you might be interested in looking at this work. I remember seeing Stephen on TV as an 11 year old, making incredible drawings from memory of complicated buildings in London. Stephen is autistic.

His talent continues developing and the following 2 sites show his work. DO watch the video in the second link, which shows him being taken round a city by helicopter and then working on a vast panorama from memory with only one minor mistake in it.

gallery of images and information

video of him flying around city then working on a HUGE drawing click on the video link on the right on the website
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,403 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 01:41 am
Can't get your links to work.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:02 am
mmm - not sure why - they work when I check them but here they are for you to copy and paste if the live links won't work

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/ for gallery images

http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/savant/wiltshire.cfm for a video link on the right of the screen which shows brilliantly how he works and his incredible memory.

edit - I just copied and pasted these without using the URL link - and they are still 'live' so hope they work!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:08 am
The links work OK for me.

Like you, Vivien, I have admired his work for years. Isn't it amazing how the brain compensates, or re-wires itself somehow. It makes you wonder whether we ALL have this little compartment in the brain, that provides some sort of photographic memory.

I watched a programme years ago, when he was sitting at the top of a tall building in London with a pencil and easel. He lifted his head and visually scanned the City's horizon for about twenty seconds, looked at the paper and started sketching. He didn't look up again until he had completed about half of the detail.

Mind boggling!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:18 am
I've seen - via BBC World and BBC Prime and on German tv - those/similar tv reports. Really amazing.

A report with additional links
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 05:07 am
that's the same link as my second one Walter! I loved the split screen stuff they did in the video.

Yes, Lord E I saw that programme too and was amazed - I seem to remember one where he went up in the London Eye and then did an amazing set of drawings.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 05:36 am
Vivien wrote:
that's the same link as my second one Walter! I loved the split screen stuff they did in the video.

Oops - Embarrassed
0 Replies