Original Street Fighter 2 US game cover

Pantalones

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 03:12 pm
I loved Chun Li's head stomp as well (I assume we're talking about pressing MK mid air to literally jump on your opponent's head)

My other fav was airgrabbing.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:13 am
Whenever possible, I would try to use Chun Li's head stomp for the killing blow, 'cuz then you get an elegant slow-motion shot.

M. Bison was the only other character who could head stomp, no? And Chun Li and Vega were the only two who could air-grab and kick off the sides of the screen?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 08:27 am
I think you're correct about the head stomp, but Bison's headstomp was a special move you had to charge down then up/kick... this is of course talking about Championship Edition and later.

Guile could also airgrab and do a "flying backbreaker"
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:48 am
And as far a jumping off the wall or sides of the screen, yes Vega and Chun Li were the only ones. And Vega got that fence he could climb and hang out, the cheap bastard.
I really do need to give credit where due for Vega and his fence. More than once I've gotten ahead in a match using him on his stage and just jumped onto the fence and stayed there as long as I could until time expired, since he couldn't be hit back there.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:14 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
More than once I've gotten ahead in a match using him on his stage and just jumped onto the fence and stayed there as long as I could until time expired, since he couldn't be hit back there.

That is devilish and dastardly.

Sagat's stage was my favorite. There's nothing like pristine fields of green and beautiful Thai iconography to set the mood for combattants kicking the sh*t out of each other.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:20 am
I was always a fan of any stage where you could break something. Ken's stage, the docks, had those barrels. And Guile's stage had the boxes. Other than the car and barrel bonus stages, did any of the other stages offer anything to destroy?
Oh yeah, and I think there was something you could break on Bison's stage.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:28 am
Yes, Bison had those inconveniently placed statues. Were there barrels on Zangief's stage too? I can't recall. The great thing about those stages was that if you managed to upset the boxes/barrels/statues in Round 1, some mysterious force would be thoughtful enough to replace them for the ensuing rounds.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:33 am
I don't think Zangief had any breakable on his stage.

Never understood that logic with the barrels/boxes/whatever.

"Hey, Jim, should we move those boxes before the fight?"
"Nah, just let 'em go. If they break, we'll have put new ones there, though."
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:16 am
What I didn't understand was the intro... two regular Joes just moving up and down until the blonde one hit a punch and the other one fell. I just found that boring and unappealing for new players, considering the fighters in game were much more interesting.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 10:22 am
What's really sad is that they have names. I don't remember off hand, but the canon storyline document on Gamefaqs.com listed them. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at that.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:45 pm
Imagine E.Honda teleporting, forget the headbutt, just land on top of the guy, god think of the massacre...

Ryu's stage had those japanese covered stands to crash into.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/Streetfighter2_ingame.png

I have to agree with Shapeless reply to Sagat, both his stage and the tiger uppercut were some of my favourite parts of the game.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:06 pm
Check out these gif images...ah the memories.

Street Fighter 2 & others (Super Mario)
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 03:57 am
Capcom always had great graphics. Sometimes a little cartoony, but they really perfected the genre. The Guts Man Tank from Mega Man 2? Man, you can't beat that.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 07:24 am
Ashers wrote:
Check out these gif images...ah the memories.

Street Fighter 2 & others (Super Mario)

That's really cool. Some good avatars there.
0 Replies

grape

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 08:55 pm
I have a big original poster from this cover, on which you can see the 3 thrashing opponents in a larger shape, so I must admit, that Chun Li has a little too much muscles on this cover,especially to see this on her both powerful legs. .She was a young Chinese girl at her first appearance in 1992, it seems the american artist didn't know exactly, how must to draw such an asian woman, perhaps he thought he must draw Chun Li in this tough style, to show that she can keep up with her male counterparts, but this style let she appears herself too masculine, that is not very realistic, she must be much more female.

What you are thinking about it?

Here is a scan from the poster, which is showing the painting from this cover. I must take it down from the wall to make a scan. The poster was hanging there for about 10 years already.

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/ova-2.jpghttp://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/ova-2.jpg
0 Replies

grape

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:13 am
The artist for this tough cover is Mick McGinty, creator of the US covers of the Street Fighter II series and more, who did make an interview, which you can find here:

http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/interviewfolder/mickmcginty/Mick_McGinty_Interview.html
0 Replies