Original Street Fighter 2 US game cover

grape

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 07:31 pm
Hello,

Can anybody still remember on this cover, which is showing the amazing painting with the tough battle between Chun Li, Blanka and Ryu?
If yes, what are your opinions about that?

cover ---> http://www.mobygames.com/game/covers/gameCoverId,15232/gameId,6239/

Regards

Jan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,322 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:28 am
Brings back memories...
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 04:06 am
Yoga FIRE!!
0 Replies

grape

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:20 pm
I have a big original poster from this cover, on which you can see the 3 thrashing opponents in a larger shape, so I must admit, that Chun Li has a little too much muscles on this cover,especially to see this on her both powerful legs. .She was a young Chinese girl at her first appearance in 1992, it seems the american artist didn't know exactly, how must to draw such an asian woman, perhaps he thought he must draw Chun Li in this tough style, to show that she can keep up with her male counterparts, but this style let she appears herself too masculine, that is not very realistic, she must be much more female.
What you are thinking about it?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:27 pm
I remember that game. I was addicted to it. I spent so much money on the arcade unit.
Chun Li is supposed to be the most powerful woman in the world, for that game's purposes. And considering her attacks mostly consist of leg maneuvers (jumping off the wall, the spinning bird kick, the lightening leg attack, etc.) it makes sense for her to have well-defined leg muscles.
If you really want to know about the game, gamefaqs.com has the canon storyline to read and/or download. I have it on my computer, but I'm a big nerd that way. Smile
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:50 pm
tin sword nailed it...

I'll just add that I've seen Chun Li's legs drawn to be even more muscular as those of a male soccer player.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:47 pm
Brilliant game. I have the SNES version cover knocking about somewhere which looks almost identical to that with the obvious exception of 'US version'. Oh boy, I had some fun with it though, my favourite character being Ryu. I always remember having some real tussles with one guy in particular on the higher levels though called Vega I believe, in the cage. It's just never fun getting beat up by a guy in spandex...
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:55 pm
Still stands up with the best, as far as I'm concerned. Simple, but deep. I was a Ken person, myself. One of my friends and I took the Game Genie to the SNES version and put in a code for "one button special moves", plugged in a turbo controller, picked the big russian, Zangief, taped down one of the punch buttons and walked away. When we came back, we'd beaten the game. Apparently, Zangief is completely invincible while doing the Spinning Pile Driver, and it hits from anywhere on the screen with the code in place. It doesn't matter if he grabs them or not. The animation happens, and when he hits the ground, the opponent bounces wherever they are and takes the full damage. Freaky.

Yes, I had a lot of free time on my hands as a kid. And I'm addicted to the classics.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:29 pm
Aren't we all? No shame in that. Incredible about Zangief though, I was never in a position when I played it most to find these cheats and codes etc but I remember feeling as though Honda, the huge Japanese guy, was invincible with one particular move. It's been so long since playing but I remember double tapping a certain button made him do that chopping motion ultra fast. Nobody in real life could beat me with Honda, to the extent that I stopped playing with him and went back to Ryu because it was too easy! Laughing
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:34 pm
Ah yes, the fabled Hundred Hand Slap. Accomplished by mashing punch in one of three ways: rapidly tapping "light" punch, resulting in a slow slap, rapidly tapping "medium" punch, resulting in a faster slap, rapidly tapping "fierce" punch, resulting in the fastest slapping, or rapidly mashing all three punches, whick makes him vary the speed. Up close I've seen it hit up to 6 times in the later games in the series. Hits jumping characters, and usually trades blows if they jump and attack.
I just stand back and throw fireballs at players that do that. :wink:
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:50 pm
Oh don't think people didn't try! Laughing I would sneakily edge people into the corners and then mash them, there are options for the player then of course but because of it's range ie hurting people from jumps as well, I was always able to manouver myself back into a position to deliver the hits quickly I guess. Using it as a one off hit was key if memory serves me correctly, it was kinda like a jab in boxing, just edging people around, waiting for the right distance. Honda was so quick with those hands of his. It took practice though, arguably too much, to become a self proclaimed "master" of that game. Maybe the price was too big, "the claw" speaks for itself. :wink:
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:53 pm
Did you ever have occasion to play the so-called "Rainbow" edition of Street Fighter 2?
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:58 pm
Is that the Turbo edition? I remember playing that at a friends house, it had extra characters like some boxer guy in a club I think. Probably not what you're talking about though? "Rainbow", that sounds great. Was it something very different?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:05 pm
That would be the Super Street Fighter 2 series, that introduced us to Dee-Jay (the kickboxer you are likely thinking of, otherwise it's Balrog, the boxer), Cammy, Fei Long, and T. Hawk. I started using Cammy a lot after this series came out. (God, I need to get out more)
The Rainbow edition was only in the arcades that I know of. It was illegal to own, since it was a hack of the programming in the game. I have also seen it refered to as Street Fighter version 2.50 (which, I believe, is what Ken's license plate pays tribute to in the animated movie, ST2 250). It changed everyone's special moves, causing them to move super slow, erratically, or super fast, or in even less predictable patterns. The hurricane kicks for both Ken and Ryu automatically teleported you directly in front of your opponent so it hit the maximum amount of times. Guile's Flash Kick had the same effect.
Very odd game. I didn't get to play it for too long, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:18 pm
Pretty interesting, that seems slightly familiar, I'm sure I've never played it but maybe someone has mentioned it to me before. It does sound a little weird, but, teleportations, yes please...

Sometimes I long for the past of playing games all day without feeling like I've wasted it but then someone tells me I have work due in. :wink:
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:22 pm
Yeah, life tends to get in the way of spending all day loafing in front of the video games. And Nintendo Neck. And Gamer's Thumb.
I've gotten so tired of the games they put out these days, I don't even bother anymore. I have an old PSX, and two games: Final Fantasy VII and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I plan to pick up the Classic Street Fighter Collection for it, and that's all I need. I don't even the blasted thing hooked up right now, I've so much else going on.
If memory serves about the Rainbow edition, E. Honda's headbut had the teleporting effect as well. Smile
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 09:50 pm
I played a hacked version as well in the arcades. You could become sort through the characters mid fight when pressing the start button.

The only times I played that version I passed the game using Guile. Since his sonic boom had no charge time and you could do an infinite number of sonic booms... I would mash back-forward and light punch and fill the screen with flying sonic booms.

The appeal didn't last a lot though.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 11:57 am
Pantalones wrote:
I played a hacked version as well in the arcades. You could become sort through the characters mid fight when pressing the start button.

Really? Wow, I wish I had thought to try that while I was in front of the machine. Dammit.
Pantalones" wrote:
The only times I played that version I passed the game using Guile. Since his sonic boom had no charge time and you could do an infinate number of sonic booms... I would mash back-forward and light punch and fill the screen with flying sonic booms.

When I went through it with Ken, his light hadoken had the same properties to it. No recovery and slow enough to make a stream of death on the screen. The medium one went off the top of the screen and came back up from the bottom, and the fierce one was sickeningly fast. But I was much too busy with the teleporting hurricane kick and dragon punch to do it.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 01:42 pm
It wasn't the most powerful move and it often left you vulnerable to counterattack, but my favorite move by far was Chun Li's head stomp. It was very... graceful, in a way that many of the other moves weren't. The only one that came close, in my humble opinion, was Sagat's Tiger Uppercut.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 01:46 pm
But it was so much fun to use. There was no feeling more satisfying than KOing your opponent with it. Other than KOing them with a light punch you've used to counter their move, that is. Twisted Evil
0 Replies