Michaelangelo

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 03:20 am
I went to The british Museum yesterday to see the Michaelangelo exhibition.

I was wondering whey so many artists, Degas, Renoir,Dali,Da Vinci, Botticelli etc are known by their surnames, yet Michaelangelo is known by his first?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,221 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Tico

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:58 am
Rembrandt = Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:59 am
Ahhh, now I know why he's known by his first name.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 10:06 am
Well, Michelangelo's full name is Michelangelo Buonarroti - I don't know why he is known through the ages as Michelangelo. I'm not even sure if that is a long time usage for his name, or more recent.
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/michelangelo_buonarroti.html

Many italian painters are known for the town or area where they are from originally. Caravaggio, for example, is Michelangelo Merisi (although I think there is some question if the Merisi is correct). Parmigianino's name was actually Francesco Mazzola. And so on...
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 06:58 am
Even Leonardo Da Vinci had no family name as we know it. What we consider his surname was simply the town that his family came from. Formally his name is Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci -- which means (roughly) Leonardo, son of Mr. Piero of the town of Vinci.

I believe that the penchant to call Michelangelo by his given name only is simply the result of a great artist with a singular name. Da Vinci would be known simply as Leonardo, if there weren't a number of other notable Leonardos.

Titian and Raphael are 2 other rennaissance artists commonly known by their first names.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:10 am
I spoke to someone today whose last name was Piero!!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:14 am
Mind the Titian was the first name of Tiziano Vecelli.

Titian is Tiziano in Italian.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 07:35 am
Being known by first name was a sort of status in Renaissance Europe - Santi (Rafaello Sanzio in Italian), Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangelo Di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni ... ...

Nice report in the New York Review of Books: The Titan of Titans
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 07:25 am
I heard on the news at lunch that the British Museum is staying open til midnight to cope with the demand to see the Michaelangelo exhibition!!
I think it closes in a couple of weeks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:35 pm
The next Saturdays, the museum will open until midnight (for the time ever, btw).

The show closes on June 25.
0 Replies