What does the upside down star(pentagram) mean to you?

mesquite

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 01:19 pm
snood wrote:
Setanta wrote:
snood wrote:
I don't know how someone would (for instance)teach a child right from wrong with this mindset.

Then either you have not been paying attention, or you do not wish to see. It is a simple matter to explain to a reasonably intelligent child above a certain age the difference between objective principles and subjective principles. Before they are old enough to distinguish such matters, "Because i said so, and i'm the Daddy (or Mommy)" would suffice. Do you contend that a two-year old comprehends the meaning or morality and contentions of absolute truths? If you do, i'll laugh at you. Before a certain age, children understand right and wrong only as what they are permitted and what they are denied. Time enough to teach them about ethics and socially-acceptable behavior when they are old enough to comprehend.

That statement reeks of self-righteousness.

And . . .

Merry Andrew wrote:
I have to side with Snood on this. Are any of you prepared to argue that genocide -- just to name one thing -- is not demonstrably and universally evil? This is not a matter of individual judgement. This is a universally accepted truth. Certainly, many of the things which we tend to label "good" or "evil" reflect nothing more than our individual or cultural preferences. But that's not the same as saying that evil, pure evil, does not exist.

Yes, it is exactly the same as saying the "evil, pure evil, does not exist." That's exactly what i'm saying.

You got kids, Setanta? I think its germaine, because that's one of them things that's really different from theory to practice.

Rather than just dismissing his post out of hand, why not address some specifics that you have a problem with?

I do have children as well as three small grandchildren so I can speak with some experience both past and current. I am quite proud of the way my children turned out, and we not once had to refer to superstition for guidance.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
No Snood, i don't have children--if i did, at my age, i'd have grandchildren, as well.

I want to be real clear here - Set, I don't either. I raised two stepchildren from first grade through junior year in high school.

Quote:
Now you can comfort yourself that you're entitled to dismiss my arguments.

That's harsh, Set. I have a painstakingly reached, grudging, yet sincere respect for your opinions. I just don't think it's irrelevant whether someone has kids or not, when referring to trying to raise kids.

Quote:
I have, however, had a big hand in caring for my nephews when they were small, and lived in a stair-step family, in which one was always responsible for siblings and cousins who were younger. Additionally, believe it or not, i remember my own upbringing.

So I'm sure you understand some of the difficulties in trying to convey some kind of morality to children.

Quote:
I know, whether or not you want to get snotty about it,

Now, what have I said in this conversation up to this point, that would cause you to go there?

Quote:
that it is possible to teach children about ethics and social responsibility without an appeal to religious morality

A couple of things. "Religious morality" is a loaded as hell term, and not really necessary to use here. Does the argument over whether or not there is universal good and evil automatically presuppose having an argument over whether or not religion is meaningful? I don't think so.

I think some things are clearly and universally recognizable as evil. The reason I asked about having raised kids is because they pick up on everything - and mostly not what we say, but what we do. So our own "moral code" is passed on, and I don't know how I would do that consciously or even unconsciously without having some bedrock understanding of what is simply right and what is simply wrong. I hope that makes some sense.

Oh, and by the way - Mesquite? Bite me.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 08:48 pm
snood wrote:

Now Snood, what have I said in this conversation to cause you to go there?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:00 pm
mesquite wrote:
snood wrote:

Now Snood, what have I said in this conversation to cause you to go there?

Bite me twice.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:09 pm
snood wrote:
Bite me twice.

That's a heck of an attitude to display towards someone that same as you shares President Bush's clear vision for freedom and democracy in Iraq, and knows he will lead us there soon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 06:57 am
snood wrote:
A couple of things. "Religious morality" is a loaded as hell term, and not really necessary to use here. Does the argument over whether or not there is universal good and evil automatically presuppose having an argument over whether or not religion is meaningful? I don't think so.

Your own reaction to my remarks about the religiously-minded (and i am only usually moved to comment in the presence of fanaticism) leads me to point to religiously-based morality. Additionally, it is religion which most commonly posits the existence of moral absolutes. Whether or not one's moral absolutism were religiously motivated is not terribly important; it is undeniable, though, that one is most likely to encounter moral absolutism in a religious context, or in a writer who lives in a society with a religious heritage.

Quote:
I think some things are clearly and universally recognizable as evil. The reason I asked about having raised kids is because they pick up on everything - and mostly not what we say, but what we do. So our own "moral code" is passed on, and I don't know how I would do that consciously or even unconsciously without having some bedrock understanding of what is simply right and what is simply wrong. I hope that makes some sense.

You have presupposed that one has a "moral code." Morality, and the concept that there is "universally recognizable . . . evil" are statements of absolute concepts--and of course, i have all the while simply pointed out that these are subjective judgments, and not absolutes. I counter your constant nitpicking here, and attempts to create analogies which will support you position, by insisting that there is no reason to continue to discuss this if you can't provide a plausible argument that morality, that absolute, universal statements about what is good or evil, have a basis in the natural world. Frankly, i doubt that you can, although i'd be willing to entertain the notion. Attempting to create evidence by analogy from human experience don't get it, though, because one can always point to the preferences of those who make such a contention, which is, once again, subjective judgment.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 08:49 am
Setanta wrote:
snood wrote:

Your own reaction to my remarks about the religiously-minded (and i am only usually moved to comment in the presence of fanaticism) leads me to point to religiously-based morality. Additionally, it is religion which most commonly posits the existence of moral absolutes. Whether or not one's moral absolutism were religiously motivated is not terribly important; it is undeniable, though, that one is most likely to encounter moral absolutism in a religious context, or in a writer who lives in a society with a religious heritage.

Quote:

You have presupposed that one has a "moral code." Morality, and the concept that there is "universally recognizable . . . evil" are statements of absolute concepts--and of course, i have all the while simply pointed out that these are subjective judgments, and not absolutes. I counter your constant nitpicking here, and attempts to create analogies which will support you position, by insisting that there is no reason to continue to discuss this if you can't provide a plausible argument that morality, that absolute, universal statements about what is good or evil, have a basis in the natural world. Frankly, i doubt that you can, although i'd be willing to entertain the notion. Attempting to create evidence by analogy from human experience don't get it, though, because one can always point to the preferences of those who make such a contention, which is, once again, subjective judgment.

I have to admit, without in some way referencing the inspiration of what you would call supernatural, I am finding it hard to think of any demonstration of good or evil. I don't say that there isn't any - but just that I'm not smart enough to think of one.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:49 am
snood wrote:
I have to admit, without in some way referencing the inspiration of what you would call supernatural, I am finding it hard to think of any demonstration of good or evil. I don't say that there isn't any - but just that I'm not smart enough to think of one.
That certainly puts all your:

a) disingenuous and deceitful twisting of my posts to suit your fantasy
b) numerous examples of logical fallacy argumentum ad hominem
c) failed puerile attempts to discredit

into the proper perspective.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 08:26 pm
Whew, just got through reading this thread.

We all know instances of evil. Most would consider 911 evil. The perpetrators of this might not. Most would consider mercy as being good. Others would consider mercy killing as being evil.

Many would consider those things that add to a community as being good and things that detract from the community as being bad. It depends on which community you are in.

Sure, there is relative evil just as there is relative good. There is even relative sin. i.e. If someone commits murder, it would be considered by most to be a great sin. If someone held up a bank at gunpoint and stole the money, it would be considered a big sin. If we were to look at a mother who steals bread to feed her starving children we would also have to agree that this is a sin. However, there is a degree of sin that must be looked at here.

I would think that intelligent, free thinking people would consider evil to be something that is morally wicked. Right and wrong. I have raised children, grandchildren and been part of the raising of nieces and nephews. Children learn, at an early age, what is right and wrong. They know because they are taught. Again, most people have a good handle on what is right and wrong and this is usually agreed upon by a community. It takes the right teaching to gain this thought. If children were taught that right is wrong and wrong was right, we would have a completely different attitude in that child. The evil child would think that they are good and good children would think that they are evil.

Even young children know what is real and what is not when they see a movie or video. They can tell you what is good and what is bad and what is real and what is make believe. I have to disagree with Set's comments regarding two year olds. That may be his experience, but not mine. I have also seen young children brought up in Christian and non-Christian homes and there IS a difference in their perception of good and bad. I am not saying that all Christians are good. Just as in anything you have your bad apples. However, when children are brought up in a truly honest religious family they get exposure to others with the same moral values. They have a wider exposure to those things that are considered right and good. No, I am not talking about fanatical religionism.

The pentagram was used as a magical or occult symbol by the Pythagoreans, Masons, Gnostics, Cabalists, magicians, Wiccans, Satanists, etc. In many symbolizations, the top point represents either the human head or a non-human Spirit. To invert the figure is considered by some as a sign of relegating Spirit to the bottom of the metaphysical heap. Some take inversion to be Satanic and on par with alleged mockeries such as inverting the cross or saying the Mass backwards.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 09:42 pm
Thank you Intrepid for a thoughtful and reasonable post.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:10 pm
What does the upside down star(pentagram) mean to you?

Crappy Heavy metel
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 11:41 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I have also seen young children brought up in Christian and non-Christian homes and there IS a difference in their perception of good and bad. I am not saying that all Christians are good. Just as in anything you have your bad apples. However, when children are brought up in a truly honest religious family they get exposure to others with the same moral values. They have a wider exposure to those things that are considered right and good. No, I am not talking about fanatical religionism.

Sounds sort of like you think Christians have some sort of lock what is right or wrong, good or bad. That is not something that I can relate to from my life experiences and it is not something that I can see in evidence from the posters on A2K. IMO your statement that I have highlighted above, works just as well without the word religious.

By excluding fanatical religionism, I take it you mean those that take biblical text more seriously and literally.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:45 am
It would appear that Intrepid is saying that Christians are better qualified to pass on what is good, and what is evil. This, of course, automatically excludes Jews, so one must assume that Jews had no reasonable notion of good and evil, but that it was supplied by the rise of the Jesus cult.

I'd suggest that Intrepid sees in children who are raised in christian (or putatively christian) homes agreement with what he is prepared to ordain as good, and therefore is very pleased with his own judgment.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:51 am
To put what Set said another way. He's a dangerous weirdo who denigrates any person who doesn't share his dementia.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:58 am
mesquite wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I have also seen young children brought up in Christian and non-Christian homes and there IS a difference in their perception of good and bad. I am not saying that all Christians are good. Just as in anything you have your bad apples. However, when children are brought up in a truly honest religious family they get exposure to others with the same moral values. They have a wider exposure to those things that are considered right and good. No, I am not talking about fanatical religionism.

Sounds sort of like you think Christians have some sort of lock what is right or wrong, good or bad. That is not something that I can relate to from my life experiences and it is not something that I can see in evidence from the posters on A2K. IMO your statement that I have highlighted above, works just as well without the word religious.

By excluding fanatical religionism, I take it you mean those that take biblical text more seriously and literally.

Intrepid, I agree with you in many ways, but I think the beginning of your paragraph contradicts the ending of it. By equating a Christian upbringing to an honest religious one, you do a disservice to all other religions. I do think children raised within a faith tradition have a greater exposure to an equivalent set of morals, but I don't think Christianity has a lock on promoting morals and values.

As a new parent I searched out a faith tradition for my children for that very reason. We ended up UUs, which is more heavily entrenched in promoting morals and values than any other faith I found. It's exactly why we chose it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:01 am
Intrepid - just for the record, I read the same posts as every one else, and I didn't take away from it that you think Christians are better than everyone else, or that they're the only ones who know right from wrong.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:11 am
snood wrote:
Intrepid - just for the record, I read the same posts as every one else, and I didn't take away from it that you think Christians are better than everyone else, or that they're the only ones who know right from wrong.

Whatever his post said, you can be sure that Intrepid DOES believe wholeheartedly that christians are better than everyone else. All his ilk do.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 09:08 am
Wilso wrote:
snood wrote:

Whatever his post said, you can be sure that Intrepid DOES believe wholeheartedly that christians are better than everyone else. All his ilk do.

Hmmm... - that's funny. And here I was thinking that no one could tell me their thoughts and beliefs but each individual. Have you read minds long?
And what 'ilk' is that, pray tell?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:46 am
J_B wrote:
I do think children raised within a faith tradition have a greater exposure to an equivalent set of morals.......
So you would claim that children raised within the Mayans faith tradition have a greater exposure to an equivalent set of morals?

Human sacrifice was perpetrated on prisoners, slaves, and particularly children, with orphans and illegitimate children specially purchased for the occasion.

Priests were assisted in human sacrifices by four older men who were known as chacs, in honour of the Rain God, Chac. These men would hold the arms and legs of a sacrificial victim while the chest was opened up by another individual called a nacom. Also in attendance was the chilam, a shaman figure who received messages from the gods while in a trance, and whose prophecies were interpreted by the assembled priests.

War in the Mayan society was not to divide and conquer, it was to obtain sacrificial 'materials.' If a warrior that was captured was especially brave, then he would also be eaten after the sacrifice.

The Mayans believed that the giving of blood was the best and most effective way to worship their gods. Sacrifice aided the celestial bodies, brought luck and fortune, and improved crops. The household elder would let blood every night. Kings and queens would give much more extreme sacrifices, such as the king would pierce his penis with an obsidian shard or sting ray tail, then drag a rope through the hole to release more blood. The queen would drag a rope of thorns through her tongue. The blood of royalty would be collected on strips of paper or bark, and then burned. In the smoke one could supposedly see the gods and their bidding would be revealed. This is how war* was declared, crops were planted or temples were erected
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 11:03 am
snood wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I have also seen young children brought up in Christian and non-Christian homes and there IS a difference in their perception of good and bad.
0 Replies