What does the upside down star(pentagram) mean to you?

Pauligirl

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:05 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
It holds a deep symbolic meaning to me. It represents personal power, growth, intellect, independence, and freedom. It represents being mastered by none but the self.
I have it inked on my body to remind me of what and who I am...
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4413/tat9kf.png

Why do you need a silly symbol to remind you of what and who you are? Don't you know?

I wonder how many Christians own or wear a cross?
P
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:12 pm
Hey J_B,
I just noticed you did answer my first batch in green! I guess my screen does not like that color green much as I did not notice it for quite a while.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:20 pm
Quote:

P

A lot of them.I fail to see the relevance of this to my post however.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 09:17 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

P

A lot of them.I fail to see the relevance of this to my post however.

It wasn't to yours, but to Intrepid's "Why do you need a silly symbol to remind you of what and who you are? Don't you know?"

P
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 09:53 pm
Chumly wrote:
Hi Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
Relying on the judgement of some knowledgeable experts (A2K members) may be far more productive in identifying obvious truths than trying to develop a list of unfounded accusations in randomly selected pieces of posts. Ciao.
If this post is for me (no way to tell in fact) I have no idea who these "knowledgeable experts" are that you deem "may be far more productive in identifying obvious truths". Further if they are so-called "obvious truths" there would appear to be no need of the so-called "knowledgeable experts".

Finally I have no idea what this so-called "list of unfounded accusations" are that you refer to, nor what "randomly selected pieces of posts" you suggesting .

Then again for all I know you have directed this post to someone else, or to no one in particular.

Most specifically to Setanta
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 09:57 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
It holds a deep symbolic meaning to me. It represents personal power, growth, intellect, independence, and freedom. It represents being mastered by none but the self.
I have it inked on my body to remind me of what and who I am...
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4413/tat9kf.png

Why do you need a silly symbol to remind you of what and who you are? Don't you know?

P

I really don't know. I don't. Also, I suppose you don't see any difference between a tattoo and a trinket since you equate the two in the same vein.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 11:51 pm
Pauli, ahh..I misread your post..my apologies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:45 am
Hey Bill, now that you've puked up your hateful sneer, and been obliged by circumstance to acknowledge your target--why don't you tell us again about the peaceful, loving creed to which you subscribe?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:53 am
Chumly wrote:
OK please name a recognized identifiable religion which has zero congruence to any belief in any supernatural powers in any way. I am not saying three is no such thing but I am saying I am not aware of any.

I've been describing one all along. UU does not espouse any particular belief system. Some members believe in a supernatural power, most do not; it's not what we spend our time worrying or even talking about. The Principles are drawn from the Sources, but not in how they are derived from a supernatural power but in how they encourage positive interactions with each other. Morals and values are emphasized, social activism is encouraged, personal spirituality (however you want to define that) is accepted as long as one's behaviors do not interfere with the rights of others.

Dignity, respect, justice, equity, compassion, acceptance, encouragement, peace, liberty, social conscience, environmental concern...

None of those have any connection whatsoever to a supernatural power.

Living the Principles is more difficult than you might imagine. It's not about what you believe, it's how you interact with the world around you. First do no harm then make it better.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:04 am
I'm sorry if it's a dumb question - what's UU?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 08:07 am
She means the Unitarians, for whom the official title is Unitarian Universalist Association.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:52 pm
J_B wrote:
Chumly wrote:
OK please name a recognized identifiable religion which has zero congruence to any belief in any supernatural powers in any way. I am not saying three is no such thing but I am saying I am not aware of any.

I've been describing one all along. UU does not espouse any particular belief system. Some members believe in a supernatural power, most do not; it's not what we spend our time worrying or even talking about. The Principles are drawn from the Sources, but not in how they are derived from a supernatural power but in how they encourage positive interactions with each other. Morals and values are emphasized, social activism is encouraged, personal spirituality (however you want to define that) is accepted as long as one's behaviors do not interfere with the rights of others.

Dignity, respect, justice, equity, compassion, acceptance, encouragement, peace, liberty, social conscience, environmental concern...

None of those have any connection whatsoever to a supernatural power.

Living the Principles is more difficult than you might imagine. It's not about what you believe, it's how you interact with the world around you. First do no harm then make it better.
Well this is straight from the UU's site so it's very clear indeed that there is congruence to belief in supernatural powers within the UU, irrelative of how you individually wish to interpret it.

Quote:

http://www.uua.org/worshipweb/wayside/god.html

Quote:
http://www.uua.org/pamphlet/3078.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:09 pm
Here is another silly example because there is no such thing as "the creative power of evolution in the universe" unless you evoke the supernatural.

Here is another silly example because there is no such thing as "the power that makes transformation possible in our lives" unless you evoke the supernatural.

Here is another silly example because there is no such thing as having "the feminine aspects of the divine by invoking Goddess imagery" unless you evoke the supernatural.

Then they contradict themselves by saying "few UUs think of God as a supernatural being" when in fact many of their declarations are only be realized by the supernatural.

Quote:
Many people have questioned whether any concept of God can be meaningful in a modern, scientific world. Others, however, find the idea of God to be profoundly meaningful. Among Unitarian Universalists and other religious liberals, conceptions range across a wide spectrum. Some reject God altogether and hold a strictly atheistic view of the universe. Others may use the term God to convey very different ideas, such as the creative power of evolution in the universe, or the power that makes transformation possible in our lives, or the ongoing power of love, or simply the ultimate mystery within which we all must live. And while few UUs think of God as a supernatural being, many understand themselves to be in some sort of personal relationship with God, however conceived. Many also stress the feminine aspects of the divine by invoking Goddess imagery and using metaphors such as mother or sister in place of traditional metaphors for God such as father or lord.
http://www.uua.org/pamphlet/3039.html
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:13 pm
Also here is a page where some UU's chat and again it's clear that there is reference to the supernatural.
Quote:
What exactly is God?.......A celestial "peeping tom" willing to strike you down for not obeying or believing in him........ or a "mind" that sets the ways of universe and using human consciousness to experience? I guess the answer depends on the individual level of spiritual maturity.
Erika

Posted: Mar 27, 2006 14:21:23

To read about Unitarian Universalist views of God, please see http://www.uua.org/pamphlet/3039.html.
Anonymous

Posted: Apr 11, 2006 21:56:55

I can't speak for other UUs, but my view of God is of an intelligent force. A power, an energy that is in every inch of creation and within each of ourselves. I don't view God as a person, as male or female; I view God as God. I think God is intelligent to have created the universe; I don't think it just randomly happened. But I think God's intelligence is something that is beyond our comprehension; and I think this goes for everything about God. I think we can bring ourselves closer to God through love, compassion, hope, faith, peace, happiness, friendship; never through war, hatred, or selfishness. Just my own views Smile
Aaron

Posted: Apr 25, 2006 11:57:29 · Edited by: Aaron

As a Panendeist or "Open Pandeist" I view God as the Cosmos. Not just the material Universe, everything, Energy, Matter, The Laws of Nature and everything else within the Universe. Therefore we humans, our thoughts, dreams, actions, and spirits are all a part of "God" or "deity" or "Allah", or "The Force" or whatever else you want to call it. Smile

To read about Unitarian Universalist views of God, please see http://www.uua.org/pamphlet/3039.html.[/i]

I like The Web of Existence example...
mtatum4496

Posted: Apr 25, 2006 14:18:35

When I use the term "God" I understand I am using a finite term to refer to an infinite phenomenon. The images of God that have relevance to me are of necessity limited, as my intellect and my ability to experience the world and creation is limited (albeit with plenty of room to expand!).

Within these parameters, my tendency is to accept that others will have concepts and images of Deity, God, the Universe, the Ultimate, etc that are just as finite, and just as valid as mine - even if I don't accept or agree with all those images or concepts.
Anonymous

Posted: May 14, 2006 19:08:26

Aaron

Greetings, fellow PanDeists!!! I am overjoyed to find other who share my belief in PanDeism - that the God who designed the universe and set forth its laws carried out its creation through this God's own metamorphasis. Indeed, the only rational reason for the creation of the universe is that God wished to experience things that even God could not know, overcoming limitations and making difficult decisions, understanding good and evil from experiencing both. We are God's experience, and in the end, God will be our experience!
Anonymous

Posted: May 14, 2006 19:44:37 · Edited by: Admin

Oh, didn't identify myself - I'm Pacific PanDeist. I have a MySpace account if anyone wants to drop me a line there, and I would love to hear from my brothers and sisters in faith!
Also, I have recently made a new friend in the creator of a website, http://www.fringecult.com/?page_id=2, who is ahead of me on that path to bringing unity to the growing movement towards PanDeism!
////Pacific PanDeist
Mymloch

Posted: May 22, 2006 21:22:30

I see bits and pieces of my personal views in the previous posts (big shock there, huh?). It's all there, though.

I think that we are all part of whatever "God" is. However, I also believe that there is something apart from what we understand, and that it may even be self-aware in its own right. Upon death, I think we return to God, in some way, anyway. I still debate myself on the workings of the affect of Good and Evil on that path (i.e. does Good bring you closer to God and Evil push you further away).

Quick digression, perhaps beings closer to God are compelled to do "Good", while the opposite is true to those that are not. Of course, this only applies to beings of reason, as we are the only ones blessed/cursed with the knowledge of such things. For instance, one would not say that an animal is "evil" or "good". That's not to say that animals are better than humans, but it's just a price we pay in having reason.

Anyway, the Pandeist idea is something I had never really heard before, but it sounds pretty interesting. The idea that we as sentient mortals are existing as God in some cosmic way, being the mortal experience of God is a very fascinating concept.

http://www.uua.org/programs/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=307
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:15 pm
The upside down pentagram represents Satan. It is the same as denouncing God. To wear it is to attract evil around you. It will not bring good spirits around you. Normally it is only worn by Satanists or devil worshippers.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:31 pm
BLUDHAVEN wrote:
What does the upside down star(pentagram) mean to you?

Dunno. Maybe the logo of some car manufacturer?

J_B wrote:
Fundy types on both side of the aisle should occasionally remove their blinders..

They should. But I wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:32 pm
Intrepid wrote:
The upside down pentagram represents Satan. It is the same as denouncing God. To wear it is to attract evil around you. It will not bring good spirits around you. Normally it is only worn by Satanists or devil worshippers.

Sounds about right to me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:38 pm
That makes it sound as though there were something wrong with denouncing god. If one refers to that clown in the old testament, i can think of nothing more praiseworthy than to denounce such a cartoon character of such vicious habits.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
That makes it sound as though there were something wrong with denouncing god. If one refers to that clown in the old testament, i can think of nothing more praiseworthy than to denounce such a cartoon character of such vicious habits.

You don't miss a chance, do you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:42 pm
Why should i? The god of the old testament is a despicable wretch, and it is not only my right to express that opinion, but, given that i hold it, i consider it incumbent upon me to express it as often as possible. If that's a problem for you, then you have a problem--but i don't.
0 Replies