Clock/Timer Not Working - Rainsoft Amazon System AMC50CT60H2

PiaaBro

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 06:10 pm
Ok here's my problem... I've had this rainsoft unit for 3 1/2 yrs with NO problems. Then one morning last week as I was going off to work I heard the unit backwashing I thought that was odd since I have the unit to Regen at 3am. Any ways I left the unit alone and when I got back home that same day the unit was still backwashing!! (YIKES) Well after turning some of the dials to stop the unit from backwashing I noticed the time was incorrect. Well ever since then the unit has not worked, well specifically the clock/timer has not worked. The unit will go through a regen only when I turn the backwash dial manually.

I can still hear humming coming from the motor housing. I've yet to call the local dealer near me. Any ways any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

BTW great & helpful website!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,996 • Replies: 27
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 10:30 pm
Your clock motor is shot. I replaced one today in Lincolnton, GA.

Once you find a new motor it's easy to replace. 2 screws and a plug.

HTH ~
0 Replies

shelbydog25

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:54 am
Hello H2O man... my situation is similar to his, (I don't know if my regen stays on, but the clock stopped at the regen position/pin and the motor hums like his).. Is it worth my time and $ to replace the clock motor before I look for a new FLECK valve? If you can, do you have a web link to where I can find the motor?... searched all over web, tough to find.
since you just replaced one, how do I access the motor? remove front face of control panel? thanks
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 12:31 pm
rs_clockmotors
shelbydog25 wrote:
Hello H2O man... my situation is similar to his, (I don't know if my regen stays on, but the clock stopped at the regen position/pin and the motor hums like his).. Is it worth my time and $ to replace the clock motor before I look for a new FLECK valve?

If I remember - you have the older/obsolete mechanical system with the index lever and anti backlash pawl.
Two screws hold the faceplate cover. Remove these and the timer plate is held by a clip at the top.
Push up on the clip and gently pull the entire timer plate forward. The clock
motor is on the backside of this plate with two white wires.
http://athenswater.com/images/OLD-RS.jpg
The brass gear fits through a hole in the timer plate and meshes into the gears on the front of the plate.
With the unit plugged in look to see if the clock motor gear is turning.
If it is - the clock motor is not your problem.

PiaaBro, has a different operating system. His is an all plastic 6 day timer plate with a larger
round clock motor that does not last half as long as the older, smaller motors on your system.
http://athenswater.com/images/NEW_RS.jpg
The white plastic gear on these new motors cracksor the internal gears strip easily.

HTH ~
0 Replies

PiaaBro

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:04 am
rs_clockmotors
Thanks for the advice there H20_MAN! I did call the local dealer in my area and they quoted me the following:

Service Call = $69.95
Clock = $48.50

IMO that's pretty damn pricey! Any ways, I may be able to come across an extra clock from a old friend but if I can't looks like I'll be dropping $48.50.

H20 Man, the unit has never had any problems. Do you think I should go for the service call? Is there any routine maintenance that's required on these RS Silver Series systems?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 09:25 am
Re: rs_clockmotors
PiaaBro wrote:
Thanks for the advice there H20_MAN! I did call the local dealer in my area and they quoted me the following:

Service Call = $69.95
Clock = $48.50

IMO that's pretty damn pricey! Any ways, I may be able to come across an extra clock from a old friend but if I can't looks like I'll be dropping $48.50.

H20 Man, the unit has never had any problems. Do you think I should go for the service call? Is there any routine maintenance that's required on these RS Silver Series systems?

When it was available - the clock motor alone sold for $80.00 online...
If you know for sure the clock motor is the problem - and I think it is, your dealer is offering a good deal.
0 Replies

PiaaBro

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:17 pm
Gear is Broken...
H20_MAN, You were right! I took the clock out and sure enough the small plastic gear was cracked. Based on what you've told me they must sell the clock & plastic gear as one unit. Correct?

I've tried turning the metal knob that the gear fits over and it doesn't even budge. It's like its been locked tight. The engineering of these clocks doesn't seem to be very good. Oh well, I'll try swinging by the RS dealer sometime this week and see what they tell me.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:40 pm
Re: Gear is Broken...
PiaaBro wrote:
H20_MAN, You were right! I took the clock out and sure enough the small plastic gear was cracked. Based on what you've told me they must sell the clock & plastic gear as one unit. Correct?

Correct.

Let us know how it goes with your RS dealer.
0 Replies

shelbydog25

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 06:49 am
H20 man, thanks for the phone conversation and web link. sounds like my system and Piaabro's are the same... FYI... I just got word from Softener parts that they no longer carry the 17493 clock timer... ($69). Seems that part is propietary and they're 'source' hasn't gotten them anymore (email me if you want additional info as I'd rather not post). I called a local dealer and he has one for $24.95... I said what? they go for $80-100.. and made sure they copied the right part numer. They described it over the phone and it seems to match. I'm still sceptical on the price, photcopied your picture, and will find out this afternoon when I pick it up.
since I have two resin tanks, maybe I better buy 2 for that price!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 03:14 pm
shelbydog25 wrote:
H20 man, thanks for the phone conversation and web link.

Anytime - I hope things work out.

Keep us updated.
0 Replies

shelbydog25

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 05:31 pm
Found the clock motor at a RS dealer... that's the good news... no, it wasn't $25, paid $42.... still cheaper than $69-100... will put the part in this weekend and see what happens...
0 Replies

PiaaBro

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:40 am
Success!!
Well I was able to get to the RS dealer yesterday and picked up the timer for $48.50. The folks in there were pretty cool! I got home and installed the new timer without any problems and so far everything is working properly!!

H20_MAN, I did make one small mistake. In trying to figure out what screws to take off to get access to the timer I made the mistake of unscrewing the screw that held "Backwash arrow". (This of course was not necessary) I didn't think it was a big deal until I went back to install it.

How do I verify that I have arrow on correct settings? Meaning that unit is really only doing the 5 lbs as I have it pointed to and only doing the 15 minutes of backwash. I'm questioning myself because the arrow didn't go back on to smoothly.

Let me know what you think,

Thanks!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 01:02 pm
Re: Success!!
PiaaBro wrote:

H20_MAN, I did make one small mistake. In trying to figure out what screws to take off to get access
to the timer I made the mistake of unscrewing the screw that held "Backwash arrow". Shocked

(This of course was not necessary) I didn't think it was a big deal until I went back to install it.

How do I verify that I have arrow on correct settings? Meaning that unit is really only doing the 5 lbs as I have it pointed
to and only doing the 15 minutes of backwash. I'm questioning myself because the arrow didn't go back on to smoothly.

Oh no Exclamation -- I honestly don't know what to tell you.
5 lbs. and 15 minutes sounds about right, but I don't
ever mess with the settings. Wait and see how it functions
for a few days. I will try and dig up some information 4 you.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2007 07:28 am
Re: Rainsoft Motors available again
Softenerparts wrote:
shelbydog25 wrote:
FYI... I just got word from Softener parts that they no longer carry the 17493 clock timer... ($69). Seems that part is propietary and they're 'source' hasn't gotten them anymore (email me if you want additional info as I'd rather not post). I called a local dealer and he has one for $24.95... I said what? they go for $80-100.. and made sure they copied the right part numer. They described it over the phone and it seems to match. I'm still sceptical on the price, photcopied your picture, and will find out this afternoon when I pick it up.
since I have two resin tanks, maybe I better buy 2 for that price!

New FYI
Softenerparts.com has them back in stock and currently priced at $ 49.95. They now use a part number of RS17493. They also carry the older timer motors made by Intermatic.

Excellent!

Thank you for the update.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:25 am
H2O_MAN wrote:

It's been over a year now, have you learned how to set up a softener control valve yet?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:40 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:

It's been over a year now, have you learned how to set up a softener control valve yet?

Not yet, please help me.

Could you give me step-by-step instructions ~ please help!
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:11 pm
Sorry, I have a feeling you aren't the type of pupil that makes a good teacher. I can tell justalurker really likes you. If you ask him nicely, careful what and how you say it and don't disagree with him about ANYthing or he gets real pissed QUICK (like a green eyed red headed ex wife with that whining thing), but maybe he will give you some of the sizing info he's learned from me.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:22 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
Sorry, I have a feeling you aren't the type of pupil that makes a good teacher. I can tell justalurker really likes you. If you ask him nicely, careful what and how you say it and don't disagree with him about ANYthing or he gets real pissed QUICK (like a green eyed red headed ex wife with that whining thing), but maybe he will give you some of the sizing info he's learned from me.

Proof that you are not here to help anyone but yourself.

Proof that you care for nobody but yourself.

Proof that you add nothing to this forum.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:55 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
Sorry, I have a feeling you (H2O_MAN) aren't the type of pupil that makes a good teacher.

A good teacher makes a great pupil not the other way around.

Gary Slusser wrote:
I can tell justalurker really likes you (H2O_MAN).

Sure, H20_MAN seems like a nice enough guy. He never insults anyone or bullies them. He is helpful in his posts, never tries to generate business on other people's forums, and I don't believe he's been banned from any self-help forums.

Gary Slusser wrote:
If you (H2O_MAN) ask him nicely, careful what and how you say it and don't disagree with him about ANYthing or he gets real pissed QUICK (like a green eyed red headed ex wife with that whining thing)

As warm and cuddly as you are it's not a surprize you have an ex-wife.

Gary Slusser wrote:
maybe he will give you (H2O_MAN) some of the sizing info he's learned from me.

That's right world... Gary Slusser invented physics and everyone must go to Gary for the answer to everything. He's the wizard behind the curtain. Rolling Eyes

Now, everyone close your eyes, click your heels together three times and repeat... there's nothing like facts, there's nothing like facts, there's nothing like facts.

Is he gone? :wink:
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 10:16 pm
Yeah I was talking about the saying; the teacher is only as good as the pupil.

Mentioning wives causes me to recall you told me three years ago yours was supporting you, is she still?
0 Replies