An astonishing minority.

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:20 pm
There is a small ethnic minority (0.25% of world population) that has won 22% of all Nobel Prizes. I find that extraordinary.
These people have done more for civilization, culture and commerce than any other minority, perhaps more than any other country.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,419 • Replies: 23
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:57 pm
http://home.comcast.net/~neoeugenics/IQgenes.htm
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 05:02 pm
fresco, man, that is a whole book to read. High IQ and hard work make clever kids.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 06:09 pm
Didn't even need to open the link to know who that group was....

Smartest group of people in the world.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:08 pm
Well, as an Ashkenazi Jew I like that link. I do have a plethora of doctors, lawyers and entrepreneurs in my family, but I have to admit that whenever I had a calculus test in school I always tried to cheat off the Chinese guy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:15 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Well, as an Ashkenazi Jew I like that link. I do have a plethora of doctors, lawyers and entrepreneurs in my family, but I have to admit that whenever I had a calculus test in school I always tried to cheat off the Chinese guy.

Calculus isn't everything dollink.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:12 pm
Hmm. I'm a quarter Ashkenazi Jewish (and a quarter Sephardic Jewish), so you'd think I'd like this, but I'm highly suspicious of it.

Just for example, it says that Ashkenazi Jews marry other Ashkenazi Jews at a higher rate than is usual. Well, why do they do THAT? Is that fact explained by genetics, too? Couldn't it be that the same social forces that cause Ashkenazi Jews to be more likely to marry other Ashkenazi Jews also result in an emphasis on the importance and value of intellectual pursuit?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:19 pm
sozobe wrote:

Just for example, it says that Ashkenazi Jews marry other Ashkenazi Jews at a higher rate than is usual. Well, why do they do THAT?

Because their mothers tell them to.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:20 pm
Well, exactly!

Their mothers also tell them to be a doctor/ lawyer/ professor...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:22 pm
See we really are smart . What other group actually listens to what their mothers tells them?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:25 pm
Ones that know that they won't have to deal with a guilt trip extraordinaire if they don't comply?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:25 pm
Smartest people in the world...

So, is it because of culture or genetics?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:42 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

If you read the link you will see the theory is one led to the other.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:45 pm
Green Witch wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

If you read the link you will see the theory is one led to the other.

Sorry, too many words in the link and not enough time to read it all. I guess I'm not one of the smart ones. Smile
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:49 pm
The 'good genes' explanation is too easy. Genius is 90% sweat, according to Einstein.
There was a time when almost all great violinists were Jewish. Determination and endless practice brought that about. Now we have some Asian violin geniuses who sweat rivers to become the best.
The MVP in the NBA is a short (6'3") guy who is neither black nor American. He is the best because he put a lot of work and desire into his play. (Steve Nash).
In any case, the Jews are very special and have been very generous to mankind with their achievements.
http://www.yahoodi.com/famous/index.html
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:52 pm
Here's the Reader's Digest version:

Early on the most intellectual of Jews remained Jews and did not become Christian. Jews married Jews.

Fast forward to Europe. Many everyday occupations like farming were forbidden to Jews because they were not allowed to wone tracks of land. Instead Jews went into professions that Christians were forbidden like money lending (future bankers) and tax collectors (future accountants) etc.
Jews had to marry Jews because they would have to convert to marry a Christian.

The Jews that survived the persecutions of the past had to rely on their
brains to survive. If they didn't have the brain power they perished thus leaving the smartest ones to make more little Jews.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:52 pm
sozobe wrote:
Well, exactly!

Their mothers also tell them to be a doctor/ lawyer/ professor...

Doctor/lawyer/dentist/accountant-- then professor, teaching doesn't pay as well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:54 pm
True, true.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:56 pm
Oy, and if you can't become a doctor/lawyer/dentist/accountant, then you marry one.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:57 pm
Another thought occurred to me: When you are rich, fewer people spit on you. Life is easier and safer.
It pays to stop being poor.
0 Replies