Upgrading to USSB 2

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 05:33 pm
How can I upgrade to USB 2 so that my computer will accept devices geared to this speed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,340 • Replies: 22
No top replies

parados

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 05:40 pm
You can get an add on USB2.0 card. They will run you about $25 US.

Just google USB2.0 card to get some ideas then try your favorite online search engine or retailer to get pricing.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 06:04 pm
Upgrading to USSB 2
Next question is how to insert/attach/hook up the card?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 06:07 pm
It will or should be a PCI card. You need to open up the computer and put it in a PCI slot.

First question. How old is your computer? Does it have PCI slots. (probably does if it has USB1.0)

Windows should recognize the card as plug and play and do most of the driver work for you.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 07:05 pm
parados wrote:
It will or should be a PCI card. You need to open up the computer and put it in a PCI slot.

First question. How old is your computer? Does it have PCI slots. (probably does if it has USB1.0)

Windows should recognize the card as plug and play and do most of the driver work for you.

A USB2 card should come with the necessary drivers on a disk; not all operating systems have native USB2 support. The card will come with very easy-to-follow directions, also. Even a PIII 5ooMhz machine running Win98SE can be upgraded to USB2 very simply, provided, of course, there is an available PCI slot. The same goes for Firewire, and in fact there are upgrade cards that offer both interfaces.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 08:08 am
Upgrading to USSB 2
I don't think I'd know a PCI slot if it rose up and bit me. Maybe the instructions with the card will tell me how to identify it???
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 08:19 am
http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/iwillbd133/images/pci_t.jpg

That's a set of 6 perfectly normal cream coloured PCI slots on a motherboard.
The wee brown slot on the left is a CNR modem riser slot and is used by oooo exactly zero pieces of gear so don't worry about it.
The other brown one on the right that's also set back a little is the AGP slot for the graphics card.
You might have an AGP slot but there might be nothing in it.
If there is no card in the AGP slot you have on-board graphics.
Don't worry about that either.
The PCI slots are the cream ones.
When you put the card in make sure it's all the way in and that the metal backplane is screwed down.
There'll be a blanking plate in the PC chassis that you'll have to take out to get the card to fit properly.
When you're putting it in press down firmly but not ridiculously hard.
It should go in nicely but it won't be as easy as you think it should be so be firm.

Any hassle get back to us and we'll take care of it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 09:30 am
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/2602/pcislotports9el.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/9848/moboslots6vk.jpg

If there is an AGP (video card) slot (which is of no interest at the moment), typically it will be just above the PCI slots and it will be brownish-red as opposed to the creamish-white of the PCI slots - which also will be longer than the AGP slot.

As Heliotrope said, if you've got questions, ask 'em. We'll try to help.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:28 am
Upgrading to USSB 2
My HP Pavilion 9800 computer was bought in March 2001.

It seems to me that the combination USB2/Firewire might be a good idea. What do I look for; I mean is there a specific name for this combination or do I just search both until I come up with a card that does both?

Thanks for the pix; they will be a great help.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:34 am
Upgrading to USSB 2
Next question: I googled USB2+Firewire card and came up with a number of makes. Is any one brand preferable to the others? They seem to range from about $25 to $60.

How do I know whether a given card will fit my computer? Are they one size fits all?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 10:40 am
Upgrading to USSB 2
SIIG US2285 Internal USB 2.0/FireWire/UltraATA133 RAID Adapter
SIIG US2285 Internal USB 2.0/FireWire/UltraATA133 RAID Adapter
$119.99 $57.99
8 Used & new from $57.99
Usually ships in 24 hours

CHIEFMAX Hi-Speed USB 2.0/FireWire Combo PCI Card
CHIEFMAX Hi-Speed USB 2.0/FireWire Combo PCI Card

2 Used & new from $19.99

These are what Amazon is listing. The Chiefmax seems to be the kind of thing what I want; I don't know anything about RAID Adapters.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:05 am
You don't need raid.

Make sure you see a picture of what you are buying. It should basically look like this.
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll125/15-106-004-02.jpg

You want to make sure it has USB and Firewire connectors. Firewire is sometimes referred to as 1394.

The picture is from Newegg. I have had good luck buying from them in the past. They have a large selection so you can decide on a brand and do a price check other places.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 04:08 pm
Upgrading to USSB 2
Ok.

It looks simple enough to install; I'm just afraid of pushing it in too hard and breaking something.

I've previously dealt with both Tigerdirect and Crucial, so I'll check out those suppliers; they seem very reliable and efficient.

BTW - I just heard from Epson, and their instructions are nowhere NEAR as clear as the information I'm getting here. So thanks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:48 pm
A couple of problems I have run into in inserting cards.

Make sure you remove the screw that holds the blank plate in. If the screw is still there you won't be able to push the card down.

The bottom metal tab on the back of the PCI card sometimes has to go into a slot. If it isn't in the slot the board won't go in properly.

I have seen poorly designed boards where I couldn't use some cards in some slots because board components got in the way of the card. Just make sure where the card hangs out past the slot is clear. A USB card is a small card so shouldn't be a problem.

Some basic precautions -
Make sure you turn the computer off and unplug it before opening it.

When you open the computer, ground yourself by touching the power supply before handling the card. If you walk away to get something, ground yourself again before touching any electronics. Hold the card by the plastic edges. Don't touch the metal connectors on the card. This is to protect the card from stray electricity, not you. You will be just fine but you can fry a board with static electricity.

The cards are pretty easy to insert. Line up the card then push it straight in using pressure on both ends.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:19 am
Upgrading to USSB 2
I now feel reasonably confident that I can order and install the card - it all seems pretty straightforward if I go carefully.

Thanks and I'll keep you all posted.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:33 am
A couple more notes on inserting cards - apply the pressure as evenly and closely to absolutely vertical as you can (thumbs at either end of the card works well for me). It can take a pretty fair amount of pressure to properly seat a card - you'll know when it has locked into place.

And, of course, before getting to that point, be sure you've read and fully understand the device's instructions. If the device requires drivers and/or other software to be installed from a disk, pay attention to whether the software or the hardware should be installed first, or if the software should be installed in stages, and to any instructions involving reboot sequences; you'll save yourself some grief.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 11:23 am
Upgrading to USSB 2
I've ordered theZonet ZUC2400 from Newegg. They had the best price, and I found that most of their purchasers were pleased with the card.

Now I have to wait till it comes.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:17 pm
Good man.
Rock and roll !
Anything else you need, just post it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 11:42 am
Upgrading to USSB 2
I hope you're all sitting down, or better still, lying down flat; this is unbelievable: I ordered the card yesterday and it came this morning.

Next step - installation.

I hope it improves the scanner's operations, but am doubtful - ithe scanner seems to be a lemon, pure and simple.

I read so many good things about it, including it's ease of operation, that I can't believe the trouble I'm having isn't in this particular scanner itself. But we shalll see.

Anyway, I'll try the card (which is something I should have gotten long ago, I think).
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 10:03 am
Upgrading to USSB 2
I opened the installation instructions for the card - you wouldn't believe the unclarity! Not to mention teeny tiny print.

This afternoon will be the big event: I'll try installing the card. I think the worst part will be opening the computer; I know I had trouble with that before, although I did succeed in the end.

I will be following everyone's instructions very carefully.
0 Replies