The Kennedy Curse

Fri 5 May, 2006 02:44 pm
We see it again. Another case where even the cops cover for a Kennedy in a situation where you or I would be in the slammer.

When you think of the Kennedy Curse, the thing which should come to mind is the stories you read about a cop stopping a carload of them and two or three of them asking the cop "Do you know who we are?"

That's the problem. They clearly see themselves as above man's laws, and it's a tiny step from that to believing yourself to be above things like the law of averages or the laws of physics. As in: 'I'm a Kennedy, there can't possibly be any reason why I shouldn't be able to ski downhill, throw footballs, and operate a camcorder all at the same time, the trees'll get out of the way, they know who I am..."

Or John John flying out over the Atlantic at night without instruments....

Friends who fly small planes tell me John John and the two women were dead as soon as the wheels left the ground.

Consider the men in these two pictures:

http://www.topfunaviation.com/images/richthofenphoto2.jpg

http://www.thirdreich.ca/portraitsphotos/full/RudelCoat1.jpg

Most will probably recognize the picture of Rittmeister Manfred Von Richthofen (the red baron from WW-I) The other gentleman is Hans Rudel, the #1 Stuka ace from WW-II, personally responsible for the destruction of several thousand Russian military vehicles including over 500 tanks.

These two guys were about as serious as it ever gets about flying small aircraft. I've read both their autobiographies and, funny thing, one of the things which jumps right out at you is that both of them mentioned the fact that flying in low visibility conditions used to scare them absolutely shitless.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,201 • Replies: 26
Topic Closed
No top replies

Joe Nation

Fri 5 May, 2006 08:25 pm
Whereas you scare all of us absolutely shitless.

Joe(Way to go on getting the Nazi in on the Kennedy fake curse thing)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Fri 5 May, 2006 08:50 pm
I don't understand? Representative Kennedy was flying a small plane to a beer party in DC?
0 Replies

parados

Fri 5 May, 2006 08:56 pm
Gee. why would Von Richthofen be scared of flying in low visibility BEFORE there was such a thing as instruments?

Sometimes you must amaze even yourself gunga with the ability you have to not understand history.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 5 May, 2006 09:06 pm
EVERYBODY was scared of flying in low visibility before there were instruments and radar.

That was the point; shame I have to explain every little thing around here....

Everybody except for John John that is. He no doubt figured "Hey, Im a Kennedy, the ocean knows who I am......"
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Sat 6 May, 2006 04:25 am
What are you trying to prove, here, Gunga? That Liberal Al Franken was right about keeping the "Kennedy Curse" and said the best solution was to keep the Kennedys away from water?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Sat 6 May, 2006 05:14 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sat 6 May, 2006 05:24 am
Why does gungasnake think that using Nazi pilots as models gives any credence to his pointless senario? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Sat 6 May, 2006 05:56 am
Whoops, my post should have read:

"What are you trying to prove, here, Gunga? That Liberal Al Franken was right about the "Kennedy Curse" and said the best solution was to keep the Kennedys away from water?"

Oh well, que sera and all that jazz.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 6 May, 2006 06:15 am
Intrepid wrote:
Why does gungasnake think that using Nazi pilots as models gives any credence to his pointless senario? Rolling Eyes

Nazi pilots?????

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I mentioned two GERMAN airmen as examples of people who were about as good as anybody ever gets at flying small planes and those two probably come to mind because the US never had any air aces in their leagues or with their sorts of numbers; if memory serves, the top American air ace in WW-II was Richard Bong with something like 30 confirmed kills in the Pacific war.

The point was that flying with no visibility scared those two guys and it apparently did not scare John John.

How do you tell a demokkkrat story when there are demokkkrats in the audience? Apparently, you tell it S-L-O-W-W-W-W...... I mean Id probably have an easier time explaining something to chimpanzees.
0 Replies

lmur

Sat 6 May, 2006 06:22 am
It might have been easier to just delete the post rather than edit it, gunga.

For those arriving late, gunga's original reason for posting the above was that he had misread Intrepid's use of "pilot'" as "plots".
0 Replies

parados

Sat 6 May, 2006 07:02 am
gungasnake wrote:
EVERYBODY was scared of flying in low visibility before there were instruments and radar.

That was the point; shame I have to explain every little thing around here....

Everybody except for John John that is. He no doubt figured "Hey, Im a Kennedy, the ocean knows who I am......"

John John flew AFTER there were instruments and radar.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Sat 6 May, 2006 06:43 pm
I'm still trying to figure out how Manfred von Richtofen managed to join the Nazi party posthumously. How does that work?
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 6 May, 2006 07:10 pm
CowDoc wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how Manfred von Richtofen managed to join the Nazi party posthumously. How does that work?

It doesn't...but it is an interesting exercise in how Gunga's mind works.

I wonder if the second fella was a Nazi, too. It was certainly wise to be in the party, but that did not necessarily a Nazi make.

EDit:

That's weird, I am sure Gunga's original post said Nazi.....I remember noting the idiocy of it, and deciding not to comment......you're not supposed to be able to edit replied to posts....
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 6 May, 2006 07:24 pm
I know about Godwin's Law--but is there a special term for someone who drags Nazis in on the very first post?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Sat 6 May, 2006 07:44 pm
I'm confused as to how this has any bearing on anything. Yeah, Patrick Kennedy was given special treatment, but so would have a majority of congressmen (in my opinion anyway). I think it crappy that he was, but what the heck, there isn't much that can be done about it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 6 May, 2006 08:20 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
I'm confused as to how this has any bearing on anything. Yeah, Patrick Kennedy was given special treatment, but so would have a majority of congressmen (in my opinion anyway). I think it crappy that he was, but what the heck, there isn't much that can be done about it.

The right are pissed off about Limbaugh's stuff, and Whooda thought this would piss the left off and make him feel better.

Shrugs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 6 May, 2006 08:23 pm
Miss Wabbit, this is Gunga Din's thread, not Whooda's thread. I know it's hard to keep track of the rightwingnut bile.
0 Replies

dlowan

Sat 6 May, 2006 08:25 pm
Setanta wrote:
Miss Wabbit, this is Gunga Din's thread, not Whooda's thread. I know it's hard to keep track of the rightwingnut bile.

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

My humble apologies...Whooda's is the OTHER thread about Kennedy........and just as meaningless.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Sat 6 May, 2006 09:07 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Nazi pilots?????

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I mentioned two GERMAN airmen as examples of people who were about as good as anybody ever gets at flying small planes and those two probably come to mind because the US never had any air aces in their leagues or with their sorts of numbers; if memory serves, the top American air ace in WW-II was Richard Bong with something like 30 confirmed kills in the Pacific war.

The point was that flying with no visibility scared those two guys and it apparently did not scare John John.

How do you tell a demokkkrat story when there are demokkkrats in the audience? Apparently, you tell it S-L-O-W-W-W-W...... I mean Id probably have an easier time explaining something to chimpanzees.

Probably. BTW....what is a demokkrat? Is that a typo? Some of us Canadians aren't too smart in these matters.
0 Replies