So About This Brokeback Mountain

Chai

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:58 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Chai- I do not perceive gayness as "shocking". What I find shocking is the fact that there are people who are so homophobic. I certainly did not watch the film for its shock value. To me, it was a beautiful and tragic story, of two people who had to hide their love from society, and how their behavior affected the people around them.

I am a sucker for love stories about star crossed lovers!

That's what I'm saying Phoenix....if this was 15 years ago it WOULD have been shocking.

When I heard about the movie coming out, long before the publicity, I wanted to watch it because it was written by whatever her name is, and I had enjoyed her other work. They read some of the short story it was based on, and like you, I love stories about star crossed lovers.

I personally don't find the subject matter shocking or controversial. Obviously someone out there clutching their bible does.

It was all the talking about it that turned me off. I figured if the same people who were enthralled by other stuff that passes for entertainment today, like tv, then I wouldn't get a lot out of it.

I think I'll find the original short story and read that instead....yeah, that's the ticket.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:58 am
Heh! Heh! starcrossed lovers, Phoenix? Well, you would love Romeo and Juliet. Razz
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:01 pm
and Chai. there are those who would object to an owl and a pussy cat being in the same boat, too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:05 pm
Letty wrote:
Heh! Heh! starcrossed lovers, Phoenix? Well, you would love Romeo and Juliet. Razz

Letty- Ah, but I DO love Romeo and Juliet!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:12 pm
Letty wrote:
and Chai. there are those who would object to an owl and a pussy cat being in the same boat, too.

I know!

Talk about star crossed lovers!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:04 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Chai- I do not perceive gayness as "shocking". What I find shocking is the fact that there are people who are so homophobic. I certainly did not watch the film for its shock value. To me, it was a beautiful and tragic story, of two people who had to hide their love from society, and how their behavior affected the people around them.

I am a sucker for love stories about star crossed lovers!

Completely agree with you, Phoenix...I don't normally like sad endings, but I make exceptions for really good love stories. <sigh>

Chai, your avatar and sig are adorable! Very Happy Now there's a love story for ya!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:07 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Letty wrote:

Letty- Ah, but I DO love Romeo and Juliet!

Except in this case, it's Romeo and Romeo.

Or Neil and Bob. Wait, that's just what they do.

BOP!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:23 pm
farmerman wrote:
...one guy makes it and the other was gonna get killed, you knew it was coming....

Thanks for ruining the ending for me. Sheesh.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:28 pm
But you still don't know that he gets beaten to dea-- [size=8]oops[/size]
0 Replies