So About This Brokeback Mountain

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 06:53 am
squinney and I got it from netflix and watched it to a point and then turned it off... not because we're offended by the subject matter but because as a film

IT SUCKS ASS!!!!!!

One dimensional characters... piss poor plot development.... and the slowest moving thing since watching paint dry.....it should have been called "Horse Whisperers With Anal Sex".

I am not one of those guys who only watches action flicks or anything... I like character based and even a lot of "chick flicks if they're well done but this piece of ****.... Rolling Eyes

This movie makes televised bass fishing look like a Steven Segal action movie IMO.

On the other hand the two award winners we ordered along with it, Capote and Walk The Line.... were great.

Just the opinion of a couple of bears..... our daughter loved Brokeback.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,604 • Replies: 28
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:24 am
Re: So About This Brokeback Mountain
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
This movie makes televised bass fishing look like a Steven Segal action movie IMO.quote]
?????? Stevel Segal? Well, if you are going to call Brokeback Mountain a crappy film, I suppose you should use other crappy films and/or actors (I hesitate to call him that) in your comparison.
Hmm. Haven't seen Brokeback yet myself, but now I'm not sure I want to if it's that bad.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:26 am
Pokeback Mountain...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:36 am
Re: So About This Brokeback Mountain
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
This movie makes televised bass fishing look like a Steven Segal action movie IMO.quote]
?????? Stevel Segal? Well, if you are going to call Brokeback Mountain a crappy film, I suppose you should use other crappy films and/or actors (I hesitate to call him that) in your comparison.
Hmm. Haven't seen Brokeback yet myself, but now I'm not sure I want to if it's that bad.

I was merely making a statement concerning the movies pace.... but if you think Steven Segal sucks.... tell him to his face Laughing
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:39 am
Sure. Invite him on over to my place. I'll slip that into the converstation. "So, I was driving to work the other moring, you suck, when I saw this traffic accident. Horrible." Very Happy
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:49 am
It is slow. I really liked that about it. Didn't make it through the whole film?

Y'know, the characters are somewhat one-dimensional, but it is an 'emotional' film and that tends to happen.

Did ya see Crash?! Now THERE are one-dimension folks. Just moving the story along til we can cry again....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 10:57 am
Bear- Sure it is slow. That is a part of the film's "gestalt". Personally, I thought that it was an exceptional film.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:00 am
...and I liked Crash a lot - each their own, I guess....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:03 am
When I first heard about this movie during an npr segment I thought, "wow, I'd like to see that"

Then all the jabber started and my interest cooled.

A couple of weeks ago my husband brought it home with a couple of others. Whenever he asked me if I wanted to see it, I'd be "ehhh, not right now" I just couldn't muster the engery.

He ended up watching it himself 'cause I said I didn't care.

When I asked him how it was, he said "ehhhh..."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:03 am
On a side note, thank god for Netflix. The theater is just a place to go sit in sticky **** and catch a cold while paying through the nose for the right to do so.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:04 am
...and please don't tell me there really was an ass sucking scene....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:10 am
<looking around, wondering when Lightwizard will be by to correct BVT's opinion>
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:14 am
I have a guy friend who's girlfriend dragged him to see it, and he said it actually was a pretty good movie.

However, I haven't heard anything about it that makes it groundbreaking, other than the fact it's based on gay guys.

How to make a huge hit movie: in the 90's make it about a retarded person, and it's a "courageous performance," looks like now make a tv show or movie about gay people and it's incredible.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:16 am
I didnt think it was that bad. You had to adapt to its "measured pace" (thats whst wiz would call a real slow movie). I was entertained by how their lives started to unravel and how one guy makes it and the other was gonna get killed, you knew it was coming.

The lack of action and the way the plot was manipulated by stuff happening at just the right moment was a bit of a stretch.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:21 am
Something got stretched.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:22 am
snood wrote:
...and I liked Crash a lot - each their own, I guess....

I liked "Crash" too, but I don't think that it was in the same league as "Brokeback".
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:27 am
I loved Crash...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:32 am
Well, Crash is one of my all time favorite films. I haven't seen Brokeback because, as I told Mr. Wizard, I do NOT like sad endings.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:37 am
I watched this documentary that said hollywood is always 10 or 15 years behind the times with showing whatever is controversial.

I think that's true...if 15 years ago BB had been shown, it might have brought up more shock.

Now, who cares?

That's why I couldn't even be bothered to put it in the machine.

The only people I can think of who would be shocked would be ultra conservative religious people who only live work and play within their group.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:50 am
Chai- I do not perceive gayness as "shocking". What I find shocking is the fact that there are people who are so homophobic. I certainly did not watch the film for its shock value. To me, it was a beautiful and tragic story, of two people who had to hide their love from society, and how their behavior affected the people around them.

I am a sucker for love stories about star crossed lovers!
0 Replies