If you aren't watching "The Office," you should be.

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:55 am
I thought this show was just weird when it first came out. Now I love it. It goes so far over the edge at times that you actually feel uncomfortable watching it. I love that.

And the flirtation between Pam, the office sweetiepie (who I am in love with, by the way) and Jim is getting really interesting lately.

It's on thursdays (that's tonight!) at 9:30, people. Check it out!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,092 • Replies: 15
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:00 pm
8:30 central, my time.
I love that show.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:04 pm
Re: If you aren't watching "The Office," you shoul
kickycan wrote:
I thought this show was just weird when it first came out. Now I love it. It goes so far over the edge at times that you actually feel uncomfortable watching it.

I'm the exact same way, kicky. I really didn't like it at first because he would say such uncomfortable things it would make me nervous just watching it. Now I love it... although, I'm not sure if they toned it down or if I'm just used to it now.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:41 pm
The two episodes I watched made me yawn.... Socially inept and or clueless people are nothing new, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:43 pm
Have you seen the original version, Kicky?

I've just been watching the US version, and it has been waterd down a bit.

Still pretty good, though.

I'll find a David Brent (office manager) clip for you now....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:51 pm
Great show. I should tivo it...don't watch too many sitcoms. And with the Sox on tonight, I'll be watching that.

BOOYAKASHA!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:04 pm
No, LE, I haven't seen the original version of it. How is it watered down? You mean the language, or the situations?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:10 pm
There are some clips online:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:14 pm
Maybe it's just been changed to fit more into the American way of life. Thinking about it, half of the stuff that goes on is very British colloquial and you wouldn't really find it funny, unless you knew the background.

He (Ricky Gervais, the creator of "Office" who plays the manager) just puts his foot in it all the time and digs himself a hole. And keeps digging until it becomes cringeable.

The unintentional racist stuff is not only hilarious, but quite educational.

Everyone who has worked in an office, has worked with such a total dickhead at one stage in their career.

Still looking for a clip.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:20 pm
Kicky, you can probably rent the UK DVD's, and I know you can buy them, since I did as a gift for someone.

Very similar, and I'm pretty sure the 1st season of the US show were just remakes of the UK version. The UK show has some pretty funny characters, that skinny dude kills me.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:35 pm
Nice link, jpin.

I recommend clips from:

Series 1

(episode 4)..... "Freelove on the freelove highway" is when Brent is holding a training session, but decides to show everyone how talented he is at songwriting. This song played in the clip was followed by one that he wrote, mourning the death of Princess Di.....it was absolutely awful.

(Episode one)....a typical prank on the office crawler.

Series 2

(episode 1) Oggie Oggie Oggie.....the crawler gets a phone call.
(episode two) Brent tries to demonstrate that he's not racist.
(episode six) The crawler gets a dirty phone call.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:38 pm
....and of course, everyone's favourite....the dancer.

You need real player for this, I think. It is charity day in the office, and the regional manager (Brent's boss) has just performed a brilliant routine of Saturday night fever. Brent tries to outdo him.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/clips/brent/dancer.shtml
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:45 pm
I loved the original, which I caught on BBC, but haven't had the heart to view an Americanized version, subject to the all the ridiculous permutations attendant to regular network TV. There was one show where they had some sort of wedding shower and one of the presents was a dildo, which then made an appearance on Gervais' desk just when he was in mid-suckup to somebody. It was hilarious but I can't imagine that being recreated on NBC anytime soon.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 02:06 pm
Damn, too busy at work to check those links out right now. Thanks though. Be back later...
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:08 am
I've never seen the American version, should really check it out although I heard it was watered down as well, can't be certain what that means exactly. The original made me cry from hysteric fits of laughter at times though. Brent and Gareth in particular, brilliant. The episode where Brent is sitting in his office having a discussion with his boss where he somehow ends up saying...

Quote:
Not only was it disrespectful to you, but it left me with an image of you, on all fours, quite literally being done doggy style.

Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 11 May, 2006 08:10 pm
Oh my god, that was the best season finale EVER! Okay, maybe not EVER, but that was f*cking great!!!!

I don't know if any of you watch the American version, but that was so f*cking cool the way Jim just suddenly blurted out to Pam that he...okay, I don't want to ruin it if anybody didn't see it and is taping or Tivo-ing or whatever, but that ended so perfectly. That was f*cking great!!! I am madly in love with Pam, by the way. She is so cute that it actually hurts me to look at her.

Hmm...here, just look at her!

http://www.givememyremote.com/uploaded_images/Jenna_John_Globes-745468.gif
0 Replies