Share your secrets...

Rae

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:28 pm
Also.....the hotel business is struggling everywhere right now. If you flat out asked what it would take to get your business, you might be surprised.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:29 pm
P. S. Most hoteliers rely on people who don't ask questions or push the price issue.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:30 pm
Okay. I'm done now. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:22 pm
The Best Western gets 3 diamonds in the AAA

The Hamilton Inn gets 3 diamonds as well, and if you're an AAA member, they'll discount the rate by 20%. Their rates start (the 2002 book anyway) at $59.

The Americinn has 1-bedroom suites ($116 - $151)
The Baymont has 1-bedroom suites ($90 - $137)
The Hamilton Inn has one 1-bedroom suite ($119 - $199)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:23 pm
If you're staying for a week, ask for a weekly rate. Like Rae said, if they want your business ...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:33 pm
Another tip ~ when hotels offer 'discounts' for being AAA members or AARP, that's usually only ten percent off of rack rate. The highest rate the hotel can charge.

I can't impress it enough ~ call in the wee hours, ask for the best deal, ask if there are coupons.....And if you're feeling really brave ~ just show up with a coupon ~ most hotels will not turn you down. (Especially now when occupancy is so low.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:03 pm
Oooh, Rae, excellent (and THANKS for the links, Swimp!). Just passing through at the moment, will be back with more q's.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:07 pm
Don't take 'no' for an answer, sozobe! You are the consumer with dollars to spend.....trust me ~ the hotels want your money!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:45 pm
Swimpy, I just checked out those links in more detail. They ROCK! Thanks. I'm really liking the camping idea, and having the phone numbers of hotels all in one place is very handy indeed.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:46 pm
Hi, Rae.

That's good advice.

What do you mean by coupons?

I'm going to remember your advice when we make our reservations for this Christmas' trip. We'll probably be staying at the same places as last year. It'll be interesting to see if we can get a better rate!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:47 pm
GREAT stuff, Rae. Thanks. Can you tell me more about "just show up with a coupon" -- where would I get one?

I like the wee hours (can you define that? Is after 11 PM late enough?) thing, and just asking what they will do to get our business. Do you have any ballpark ideas on what kind of a discount we could get for a weekly rate? Like, if it is $60/ day, that would translate to ___ for 7 days?

You're JUST the person to talk to about this stuff, thanks again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:48 pm
Jinx, mckenzie! Very Happy
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 09:01 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 06:04 am
sozobe ~ at least in Florida, you can get travel coupon magazines at rest areas, welcome centers and most restaurants that are near interstates. Don't try to make a reservation using a coupon though. Most hotels won't do that.

Yep, the 'wee hours' = after 11 p.m.

Let me know how your search goes!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 08:55 am
sounds like someone's worked in hospitality...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:07 am
expedia, travolocity..they all work pretty well..agree with finding the lowest price on line then calling and asking if they have any specials, etc. for both flights and hotels.
Camping...best bet for affordability. check into State Parks...alot now have cabins and/or trailer rentals at pretty decent rates...and ALWAYS call and find out about weekly discounts for anything you do like that.

http://iowa.state-park.org/

Most of all..have fun! Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:43 am
A great place for coupons I already mentioned - those "Entertainment" discount coupon books sold by kids for fundraisers. The books usually cost between $10 and $40, but in either case are often worth it. They are filled with buy one get one free offers from restaurants, discounts and upgrades on car rentals, hotel/motel accomodations, the arts, etc.

Plus you are usually helping a good cause by buying one.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:46 am
yep, if you buy it where you live, they're a great deal. the gf got one a couple of years ago from her boss, and we saved a ton of money with it. (also ended up going to restaurants a lot more than we would have without it, though, so i s'pose "save" is a relative term.)

not sure how much time the sozer is going to spend in iowa.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:52 am
A week, and most of it in the large and enthusiastic bosom of E.G.'s family. Won't be doing much but hanging out and chowing down.

Still, if $10-$30 saves more than that, may be worth it.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 01:45 pm
For a week, an apartment would be good! You can't hang with E.G.'s family ALL that time.
Take Rae's advice - she's the one in the business! The rest of us are all just consumers / punters.
0 Replies