Cable Problem on 2 PCs

USAFHokie80

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2006 06:19 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Oh ... a bit of disambiguation; using a router to connect 2 or more machines to the Internet via Internet Connection Sharing, with one machine the gateway and other machine(s) as clients of the gateway machine requires only 1 NIC per machine, and should work fine as well; only the gateway machine is connected directly to the internet. Just did that here as an experiment, using a router as DHCP Server/frontline firewall, and the results were as I expected they would be; only the gateway machine was pingable/detectable from outside my own network. Sorta a clunky way to do things, though, 'specially if your network is many-machined and mixed wired/wireless, as mine is.

How exactly did you connect the client machine to the host with only one NIC in the host? You would require 2 NIC's. One from the modem to the host, and another to connect the host to the client via a crossover cable. ???
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:05 pm
Quote:
You'll need 3 cables. 1 from the modem to the router. 1 from the desktop to the router and one from the laptop to the router.

you mean ethernet card? I don't use a modem. I connect the cable to my desktop PC through an ethernet card, not a modem.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 02:23 pm
Yeah, that's what Hokie means - you need an ethernet cable, or a wireless solution, for each device in the network. The term "modem" refers to the interface device which provides you your internet access; in your case, it would be the cable modem, the box between your 'puter and the cable system.

Embarrassed And Hokie, you're right - I overlooked the wireless connection on the "gateway machine" in my temporary lashup - I did have multiple onboard network interfaces on the "gateway machine"; a standard NIC and the 802.11a/b/g card, and the 2 had previously been bridged and just left that way Embarrassed

However, screwing around a little more, using my DSL modem's USB connection, I did get the lashup to work in wired-only configuration, with just a router and single NIC in each machine, but that's neither the same thing nor likely an option for vonderjohn. And anyhow, ICS ain't the most elegant way to go about it, so the point is sorta moot.
0 Replies