Cable Problem on 2 PCs

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 05:29 am
Hello all;

I use cable connection. However I have 2 computers: a desktop PC and a laptop. I use my cable connection originially on my desktop PC. However when I plug the cable into my laptop, it does detect the internet connection, but there is NO internet; i.e no browsing, no emailing, no use of connection at all. The LAN connection IS DETECTED, but no internet is available.
Now I tried changing the network settings and put the correct IP addresses and numbers (the same ones I have on my desktop PC network settings) but still, it did not solve the problem. I talked to my cable provider about it and he told me that "each computer has its own address" and that everytime I want to plug the cable into a different computer, he (the cable provider) should detect the address from my new computer and do certain configurations from his side (as far as I understood).

Bottom line: I can't use my cable connection on more than one computer, although I've seen others previously do it in various internet cafe's and network places.

What to do? How can I "unlock" my laptop's internet capability?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,497 • Replies: 22
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:48 am
Try Start>Settings>Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections - either delete ("Remove") your dialup connection, or click "Never dial a connection", click "Apply" (confirm if prompted), then click "LAN Settings" and click only "Automatically detect settings", and "OK" your way back to the desktop.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:57 pm
This is a problem with the cable modem not forwarding information to the computer. The easiest way to fix this would be to go buy a router. You can get them wired and wireless. Plug the cable modem into the WAN port on the router... and plug your computers into the LAN ports on the router. Go into the control panel on the computers, under the networking properties, tell it to use a DHCP. Problem solved. :-)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:55 am
Good answer, Hokie - In my haste, I overlooked the possibility the aim was to connect 2 or more 'puters simultaneously to the same internet access device. A multi-port router is the way to go.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:03 am
I do it by making a direct connection between the two computers using a crossover cable. My DSL modem plugs into the desktop via a USB port. I ran the network setup wizard on both, and it's all smooth.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:04 am
I should point out though, that my desktop PC is nearly almost always on. Like 98% of the time.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 09:15 am
Many cable "modems" will only talk to the first device it sees after it starts up.

To test if this is the problem, connect the laptop, cycle the power of the cable modem, and see what happens.

I strongly advise you to follow Hokie's advice, though, as running a machine that's connected directly to the Internet is a recipe for disaster.

Personally, I like the Linksys products; they can be found at just about any retail computer store and even Walmart.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 05:27 pm
ill try
hmm..so its a router? ill have to give it a try. NO WAY other than a router? because you see guys, it maybe that the CABLE PROVIDER is preventing me from accessing internet from more than one PC. While friends do it normally: they connect different laptops in their own home to one cable connection and they can access the internet instantly. They don't need routers or anything. (?)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:24 pm
Hmmmm .... unless the internet access interface device - the cable, DSL, or satellite "modem" itself - is a multi-port router, or a wireless access point, I dunno as I can figure out how more than one machine could connect to it simultaneously.

Depending on the configuration of your machines and your home network, you might wanna try setting up one of 'em - prolly the desktop - as a gateway for internet connection sharing, then route the other machine, the laptop, through it.

As for the provider limiting your access, its possible, but if your network is set up properly, the provider's view of - and control over - your network should end at the DHCP server at your end. My DSL modem is configured as the DHCP server for my system, with its NAT/SPI firewall turned on and locked down to the point that all that gets in is what I've specifically authorized, it feeds a router array (with its security and DHCP turned off) and behind that my machines are configured with a robust software firewall.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:33 am
Quote:
As for the provider limiting your access, its possible, but if your network is set up properly, the provider's view of - and control over - your network should end at the DHCP server at your end.

excellent. I want to try and set up my PC in this way. How to do it? WHat are the steps for this configuration?

Big thanks again guys
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 05:42 am
If you're running XP, just connect them together, and run the network setup wizard.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 01:05 pm
vonderjohn wrote:
Quote:
As for the provider limiting your access, its possible, but if your network is set up properly, the provider's view of - and control over - your network should end at the DHCP server at your end.

excellent. I want to try and set up my PC in this way. How to do it? WHat are the steps for this configuration?

Big thanks again guys

Get yourself a router - nothing fancy is needed, even a simple switch will work pretty much OK, but a router is better for several reasons.

1. Determine the Default Gateway IP address of your cable modem - prolly something very similar to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Just type or paste each of those in turn into a browser address bar, click "Go" or hit <Enter> and see what happens. You also can determine it through Start>run>type (without the quotes) "cmd" or "command" into the dialog box, then clicking "OK" or hitting <Enter> - you should see something like this:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3340/ipconfig2of.jpg

If necessary, consult the documentation for the device, or contact the help desk at your ISP to get the device's Default Gateway IP address. The reason you wanna do this is so you can be sure the router's Default Gateway address isn't the same - if it is, you can reset the router's address using its configuration page - something like 192.168.10.1 would be an OK substitute, for instance.

2. Disconnect the cable modem from your machine, connect the router, and per its intructions, bring up its configuration page (also determinable via the Start-Run>"ipconfig" method - it should show up as "IP Address", a numeric string, just below "Connection-specific DNS Suffix", which likely will be a text string).

3. Per the router's documentation, turn off/disable its DHCP server function, as your cable modem will handle that - otherwise you'll wind up with a very confusing conflict.

4. Again per the device's documentation, if necessary, set non-conflicting IP addresses for the router

5. If your cable modem has firewall function (consult its documentation or your provider's Help Desk), decide whether you want to use its firewall, or the router's (I suggest using the modem's firewall, if practical), and make the appropriate settings on the router's firewall configuration page - turn it "On" or "Off" as you prefer.

6. Now connect the router to the cable modem - often using the router's "WAN", or "Upstream" port will work fine, but not always - you might need to use a LAN port. Try the "WAN" port first, then if neccessary try a "LAN" port. Bring up the cable modem's configuration page, and per the device's documentation, make the appropriate setting changes, if any.

7. With just the one machine connected, verify you can get on the Internet

8. Run the Internet Connection Wizard on that machine, select "Direct Connection" or "Gateway Connectoion, or whatever its labled, so both machines will connect independently, NOT[/b] via "Internet Connection Sharing", and make a floppy or other transferable format Internet Connection settings transfer .exe when prompted.

9. Run the settings transfer .exe on the second machine, and be sure the workgroup name and the connection type is the same on both machines.

10. Shut down both machines, connect the second machine to the router while the machine is shut down.

11. Boot both machines, and verify each can get on the internet.

That oughtta be it, off the toppa my head (meaning I think I gave you all the necessary info - lemme know how it goes). Both of your machines should have their own software firewall, too - but that's another deal. The built-in firewall in WinXP is better than nothing, but there are better choices. We can get into that once you've got a working network.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 03:00 pm
timberlandko that was extremely interesting. A very thorough reply, I will get to work on it right now and let you know how it goes. Very big thanks
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 03:17 pm
The first question is whether your modem has built in DHCP. Mine doesn't.

Some cable companies like Comcast also require you register the MAC address of hardware. If that is the case you will need to find the MAC for your computer and spoof it in the router.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 04:21 am
parados wrote:
Some cable companies like Comcast also require you register the MAC address of hardware. If that is the case you will need to find the MAC for your computer and spoof it in the router.

That's it. The main problem with me is that the MAC address of my 2nd hardware (my laptop) is NOT registered in the cable provider. This is what's preventing me from accessing internet through it.

How can I find the MAC address of my computer???
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 09:39 am
Finding Your Computer's MAC Address

Does your provider charge more for additional machines on the same connection?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:14 pm
vonderjohn wrote:
parados wrote:

That's it. The main problem with me is that the MAC address of my 2nd hardware (my laptop) is NOT registered in the cable provider. This is what's preventing me from accessing internet through it.

How can I find the MAC address of my computer???

I've never heard of a provider using MAC filtering. But in either case, a router should solve the problem. The cable modem will only see ONE MAC address, that of the router. The modem will forward it's IP and Gateway information to the router. The router will have a built-in DHCP server which will assign IPs, gateways and DNS addresses to the computers you connect. The router will effectively hide all of the computers connected to it from the cable modem. The modem will only see ONE device connected, the router.

I prefer D-Link routers. They are very easy to use and set-up. I've also had a lot fewer problems with them than I've had with other brands. If you don't know a lot about networking, don't listen to that "set your computer up as a gateway" or the "connect the computers together" stuff. A router is a LOT simpler. Not to mention, to do the latter, you actually need TWO ethernet cards in the desktop and a special cross-over cat5 cable.

Go with the router!!!!!!

If you have any questions about how to set it up, just ask. As for your friends using no router... I assure you, they are using some sort of routing device. Some cable modems have built-in routers. I know there was an option to get one from my old ISP. But I already had a router, so it was moot...

Good luck.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:35 pm
Yeah, I agree w/Hokie - go the router route. Set up the router as the gateway device immediately behind the cable modem, and contrary to earlier suggestions, let the router handle DHCP and frontline firewall chores; that way, the router is all your provider sees. The router's owners' manual should provide all the info you need, but if you do run into a snag, the router vendor's support desk oughtta be able to talk you through to where you wanna be.

D-link gear is fine, and inexpensive, I happen to prefer a different brand, but that's immaterial; the job is the deal, and any major brand router will do the job, from bargain models all the way up through the 3Com and Cisco gear made for commercial use.

Oh ... a bit of disambiguation; using a router to connect 2 or more machines to the Internet via Internet Connection Sharing, with one machine the gateway and other machine(s) as clients of the gateway machine requires only 1 NIC per machine, and should work fine as well; only the gateway machine is connected directly to the internet. Just did that here as an experiment, using a router as DHCP Server/frontline firewall, and the results were as I expected they would be; only the gateway machine was pingable/detectable from outside my own network. Sorta a clunky way to do things, though, 'specially if your network is many-machined and mixed wired/wireless, as mine is.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2006 10:11 am
Quote:

Yes he does. And that's why he doesn't allow it, or he is not willing to enable me to access the internet through my desktop PC AND my laptop. Only one of them.

So it's the router's route. That's it. I think it solves the whole thing. I just thought a few swtiches within my computer's software would do the trick. Now through the router I need to also get cables to connect my router to my PCs right? or do those cables come with it or what?
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2006 06:17 pm
vonderjohn wrote:
Quote:

Yes he does. And that's why he doesn't allow it, or he is not willing to enable me to access the internet through my desktop PC AND my laptop. Only one of them.

So it's the router's route. That's it. I think it solves the whole thing. I just thought a few swtiches within my computer's software would do the trick. Now through the router I need to also get cables to connect my router to my PCs right? or do those cables come with it or what?

You'll need 3 cables. 1 from the modem to the router. 1 from the desktop to the router and one from the laptop to the router.
0 Replies