Fine-Tuning 3, Every Day/Everyday

Roberta

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 06:02 am
Every day (two words) means each day. Every is the adjective, and day is the noun.

I'm online every day.

Everyday (one word) means ordinary, common, daily, typical. Everyday is an adjective and needs a noun to modify.

Being online is an everyday occurrence for me. (Everyday is the adjective. Occurrence is the noun.)

Note that everyday and every day don't necessarily mean the same thing.

Yes, this is a small thing, but it drives me crazy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,814 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 07:26 am
Well, it's a crux with the difference between adverbs and adjectives - not only in English!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 08:51 am
One way versus oneway?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 12:15 pm
Yup, Walter, and yup, New Haven.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 10:57 am
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 01:33 pm
Wy, I agree. "A lot" is hanging on by its finger nails. This kind of thing gives me a stomachache--but that's a different thread.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 01:52 pm
Sorta like Wal-Mart ads. They have everyday low prices every day (or so they say! Very Happy )
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 01:56 pm
Is there such a word as "alot"? I am not sure. There are words "to allot" (meaning "to distribute, to ration, to give") and "a lot (of)" (meaning sufficient quantity), but not "alot". Well, I may be wrong, I am not an American.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 03:36 pm
Roberta:

When I was in school, I never liked English grammar. With you as our teacher, I'm slowly starting to like it! Razz
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 11:31 pm
Phoenix, I've never been to a Wal-mart. There aren't any in my neck of the woods, so I can only go by what I see in the commercials.

Steissd, A lot is not a word. Unfortunately, it is often thought to be by many Americans. Also unfortunately, I'm seeing it more and more frequently. It is now and, as far as I'm concerned, always will be two words. Thanks a lot for posting.

New Haven, Aw shucks. Embarrassed Thank you for your very kind words. I appreciate it.
0 Replies